Sponsored

Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof?

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
It’s interesting how the little things are made more complicated than they need to be.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I don’t get how it sits secured.
Maybe the picture of the netting in the back of a pickup truck threw you off Jerry; sorry. Plus I wasn't complete.

Envision one or both Freedom Panels lying on the rear of the hardtop, interior side towards the sky, no differently than how they'd lie when using the EZUFT product discussed above:

On top of this panel would be cargo netting the size of it. It would wrap around the hinged attachment points levers of the Freedom Panel that normal keep that Panel secured to the Wrangler when closed. In the front end of the Freedom Panel, as position upside down in the following picture, that netting would tie around the, say, sound bar.

Closer to the rear of the vehicle, beyond the length of the upside down Freedom panel, would be two cords that formed the outside perimeter of where netting had been cut away behind the length of that Freedom Panel. See my sketch of netting in the prior post.

Those two cords get attached to the two pieces of hardware from Topsy Inc linked prior.

Something like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof? netting3

Where the netting closer to the garage is connected to the sound bar, and the two cords in the rear are connected to the Topsy product.

Of course one could be made for the passenger's side too.

Cluge....maybe...but no marks and a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Maybe the picture of the netting in the back of a pickup truck threw you off Jerry; sorry. Plus I wasn't complete.

Envision one or both Freedom Panels lying on the rear of the hardtop, interior side towards the sky, no differently than how they'd lie when using the EZUFT product discussed above:

On top of this panel would be cargo netting the size of it. It would wrap around the hinged attachment points levers of the Freedom Panel that normal keep that Panel secured to the Wrangler when closed. In the front end of the Freedom Panel, as position upside done in the following picture, that netting would tie around the, say, sound bar.

Closer to the rear of the vehicle, beyond the length of the upsidedown Freedom panel, would be two cords that formed the outside perimeter of where netting had been cut away behind the length of that Freedom Panel. See my sketch of netting in the prior post.

Those two cords get attached to the two pieces of hardware from Topsy Inc linked prior.

Something like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof? netting3

Where the netting closer to the garage is connected to the sound bar, and the two cords in the rear are connected to the Topsy product.

Interesting, that makes more sense, I guess my biggest question would be, how to make sure you don’t scratch the panels when you slide/flip it over the hardtop.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Interesting, that makes more sense, I guess my biggest question would be, how to make sure you don’t scratch the panels when you slide/flip it over the hardtop.

...grab a piece of felt you've shoved under the driver's and/or front passenger's seat and sandwich it between the two black surfaces that touch, that consist of the Freedom Panel upside down, and the rear of the hardtop the Freedom Panel sits on top of....?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
...grab a piece of felt you've shoved under the driver's and/or front passenger's seat and sandwich it between the two black surfaces that touch, that consist of the Freedom Panel upside down, and the rear of the hardtop the Freedom Panel sits on top of....?
I guess this would be limited to on-road use only?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Integron

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
OP:

do you have the headliners installed on your freedom panels? If so, I would be interested to see how having them exposed impacts them. Degrade with UV? Collect dust and pollen like a magnet?, etc.

Also, the Freedom panels are about 15 pounds apiece So it would seem to me that the only way to get these reattached would be to stop the vehicle, get out, reach up and flip back on each side of the vehicle. Certainly possible at a long traffic light if you’re speedy and MUCH faster Than the current bag system

Innovative Aftermarket accessories are a boon for everyone. Good luck in your hunt.
I think being able to disengage the freedom panels from a seated position then push them up and slide them into a rail that receives them and then back into an enclosure thin and sleek that has a spring loaded cover on front, would be the answer here. The hinges are a great innovation but as you suggest it would require to stop and get out of the jeep. The rail system would simply be a guide not a connected rail but simply a holding rail like a c channel. The concept would be to protect the freedom panels from environment and secure them in an enclosure while still in the jeep, of course stopping momentarily to make the change. That is the ticket.

Freedom Panel Enclosure Concept 1.PNG

OP
OP
Integron

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

On top of this panel would be cargo netting the size of it. It would wrap around the hinged attachment points levers of the Freedom Panel that normal keep that Panel secured to the Wrangler when closed. In the front end of the Freedom Panel, as position upside down in the following picture, that netting would tie around the, say, sound bar.

Closer to the rear of the vehicle, beyond the length of the upside down Freedom panel, would be two cords that formed the outside perimeter of where netting had been cut away behind the length of that Freedom Panel. See my sketch of netting in the prior post.

Something like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof? Freedom Panel Enclosure Concept 1.PNG

I think Gilligan tried this and caught two girls in his jeep Marianne and Ginger. It worked fantastical. Ok All kidding aside you have a great mind toward innovation, and this is a unique low cost approach!

OP
OP
Integron

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Better idea using minivan rails; however, keeping it a mechanical (manual) operation with just creating holding channels would be a Jeep thing.

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I think some great ideas could be introduced but I personally know of no way to implement them short of making permanent marks/holes in the JL (which of course doesn't mean they don't exist--just that I haven't thought of them.)

And IMHO, at a price point North of $450 or so, I think people start considering abandoning such solutions and opting for Bestop's Sunrider product instead.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think some great ideas could be introduced but I personally know of no way to implement them short of making permanent marks/holes in the JL (which of course doesn't mean they don't exist--just that I haven't thought of them.)

And IMHO, at a price point North of $450 or so, I think people start considering abandoning such solutions and opting for Bestop's Sunrider product instead.
I think that the original idea of “clips” for a roof rack make a lot of sense to me and can be engineered and sold for maybe a hundred bucks. It’s so clear (after I read the original suggestion) that I’m actually surprised that Mopar hasn’t already done it.

Some of the more imaginative solutions of trying to turn a 15 pound, unwieldy, hardtop panel into some kind of flip back/slide back sunroof are certainly possible to engineer and would be interesting to have as an option. That said, they come with other downsides: probably can’t have a roof rack for instance, drilling holes in the roof, possibly complicated mechanisms, etc.

For me, the flip back/slide back freedom panel solution would be a non-starter. Why? I eventually want a roof rack. With a Bestop Sunrider I can also have a ”short platform’ rack. And still use both. A freedom panel “clip/rack’ system would also work for me......

All that said, the Jeep community is vast and varied. There is no one-size solution and, hopefully, there are folks right now who are working on flip back/slide back solutions for folks wanting that kind of permanent feature.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'd like to share an idea along the lines of this thread that I tried back in 2018 and which, for me, crashed and burned. My goal was to put no holes in the Wrangler and provide similar functionality to that described here.

My hope is that someone can take it further than I could.

Anyway, I suspect that some of you are familiar with T-track common in woodworking.

https://www.rockler.com/17-piece-universal-t-track-kit

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof? 1599946462595

I thought if could wrap the track, complete with holes, around some of the Freedom top's hinges, with, say velcro...

...or if you prefer the opposite, to wrap the knobs around some of the Freedom top's hinges,

that I could slide the panels up and back, tighten the adjustment screws, and keep them in place above and behind where they normally sit closed, somewhere in the front top of the large hardtop section.

Yes, it was a hack that probably could have been made better if I committed to screwing stuff into the JL and leave permanent holes, or that I worked on harder or was more skilled.

I'd be thrilled if this idea could inspire someone to get further with it, or take it in a slightly differently directly with success where I couldn't.

:)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler