Sponsored

Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof?

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
  • Banned
I keep thinking it would be nice to simply store the freedom panels on the roof so they are easily pulled forward if it starts to rain or snow. In my mind it would be a rail system the panels could slide back out of the way and lock down (weatherproof is a big consideration. I am thinking this is an innovation that could be accomplished to make the hard tops more usable rather than having to store the Freedom panels in the back cargo area. In addition, I am thinking is it possible to store them in a removable roof rack.
Sponsored

Last edited:

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
There was just another thread exactly like this asking about storing them on roof rack. I believe there were a few pages of replies in that thread if you can find it.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
would be kind of cool if they were hinged and could be unlatched and flopped back. :P

OP
OP
Integron

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Thanks fellow Jeepsters. I have contemplated the Bestop Sunrider. But that is not the solution I am looking for here. I just know the solution has not been innovated yet. The solution is to simply disengage the freedom tops and slide them back into a protective holder and when necessary very easily slide them back forward into place. I know it can be done! The premise is to minimize effort and length of time involved in the conversion from hard top to no freedom panels and back again without having an intermediate solution. The Bestop Sunrider Twill is $900! I would resolve to create a rooftop carry case which is waterproof and lockable similar to a cargo carrier but specifically made to hold the panels.

The purpose is too feel out the community. and once again bring light to a subject sorely overlooked by the cash cow that Mopar -Jeep is cashing in on. In addition, there is a similar thread but exhausted. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/freedom-top-storage.7757/

and this one

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/storing-freedom-panels-on-roof-rack.52564/

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Integron

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
That thread suggested the Bestop Sunrider ($849.99 Twill)was the best option at this point. I am after an enclosure to slide freedom panels into and lock it down on a hard top just behind the opening so when bad weather sets in a Jeepster would not have to get out of their vehicle to reinstall the roof panels. wishful thinking? ...nothing on the market as I can see so far in 9-2020. Engineering would make it really cool and once you unlatch the freedom panels they would freely slide backwards into roof top storage bin on rails and making it removable if desired. I know it can be done just no-one has seen it through yet.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Hinges, compression gaskets, latches. Let them fold back and fasten down. Not difficult of execution, but probably not aesthetically pleasing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Integron

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP:

do you have the headliners installed on your freedom panels? If so, I would be interested to see how having them exposed impacts them. Degrade with UV? Collect dust and pollen like a magnet?, etc.

Also, the Freedom panels are about 15 pounds apiece So it would seem to me that the only way to get these reattached would be to stop the vehicle, get out, reach up and flip back on each side of the vehicle. Certainly possible at a long traffic light if you’re speedy and MUCH faster Than the current bag system

Innovative Aftermarket accessories are a boon for everyone. Good luck in your hunt.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks for bringing this to our attention @californiajeeping. But given the price and permanent marks the installation leaves (I appreciate @californiajeeping that you're merely informing us, not endorsing this) I was wondering if I could hack this another far cheaper way.

Envision a large piece of netting the length of the hard top, where the netting portion has been cut out but for a section the size of a Freedom Panel. This stuff is pretty inexpensive at, say, Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/full-size-pickup-cargo-net-36598.html ($14.99)

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof? 1599838769132

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof? cutoutnettin

I attach the netting on the right side of the picture to the 4 hinge points that secure a Freedom Panel, on the interior side of the Freedom Panel.

I do this with both panels.

On the left side of the picture, that long rope that use to encompass netting gets attached to this hardware pictured and linked below that itself connects to the back window hinge attachment points.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof? 1599838280509

https://topsyproducts.com/collectio...ducts/hinge-hoist-bracket-kit-jl-bracket-only

($24.99)

The panels, when open, sit secured on the rear of the hard top in the same place and orientation as the product whose link your provided.

Viola.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks for bringing this to our attention @californiajeeping. But given the price and permanent marks the installation leaves (I appreciate @californiajeeping that you're merely informing us, not endorsing this) I was wondering if I could hack this another far cheaper way.

Envision a large piece of netting the length of the hard top, where the netting portion has been cut out but for a section the size of a Freedom Panel. This stuff is pretty inexpensive at, say, Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/full-size-pickup-cargo-net-36598.html ($14.99)

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof? 1599838280509

I attach the netting on the right side of the picture to the 4 hinge points that secure a Freedom Panel, on the interior side of the Freedom Panel.

I do this with both panels.

On the left side of the picture, that long rope that use to encompass netting gets attached to this hardware pictured and linked below that itself connects to the back window hinge attachment points.

https://topsyproducts.com/collectio...ducts/hinge-hoist-bracket-kit-jl-bracket-only

($24.99)

The panels, when open, sit secured on the rear of the hard top in the same place and orientation as the product whose link your provided.

Viola.
I don’t get how it sits secured.
Sponsored