Sponsored

Is there a shortage of 2-Door Wranglers (with manual transmissions)?

Deleted member 59098

Congratulations! Was the proximity key ignition included with your JLR? At one point, I was required to order and pay for that "feature" despite being an option. Killed the deal. Go to Hole in the Rock, southern Utah, east of Lake Powell. You'll love that low range 6sp mounting and dismounting Gray Mesa.
Do you mean the key that unlocks automatically when you are within close range? My Jeep doesn’t have this, you have to unlock by pressing the key FOB. I’m a little surprised because my base Laredo WK2 had it. Also there’s no beeping feature when you’re about to hit something backing up. I’d like to go to Utah. 6 speed has me a little nervous off-road now after I stalled 3 times last night on a crazy steep San Francisco street.
Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Do you mean the key that unlocks automatically when you are within close range?
No. Proximity ignition means the driver never needs to insert a key to start vehicle. Just needs to have a radio transmitter keyfob nearby (in pocket) and only needs to push the button to start. As I understand, keyless entry, remote start and proximity start are three separate options; each with their individual up charges.
6 speed has me a little nervous off-road now after I stalled 3 times last night on a crazy steep San Francisco street.
You have no idea of crazy steep until wheeling Utah. Shouldn't be stalling on ascents unless in too high of gear. There's a safety feature in Jeeps since 1984 manual XJs and YJs (Throttle Position Sensor) which automatically gives a boost when engine RPMs go below 500 while in gear. Unless the feature is not working, a stall on ascent in the proper gear is unheard of. That 6sp low range should allow you to descend a 45 degree pitch on slick rock without ever touching your brakes and conversely, climb without feeding much throttle.

tcass

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
I ordered my 2 door manual exactly as I wanted. My dealer has always got a few 2 doors on the lot and at least one is manual.

Just call round and if none are available in the area, call up Ryan Medise or Darcy Glascock at AutoNation Chrysler Jeep West. I'm sure they will help you as they helped me. If you don't want it shipped to you, it would be a great excuse to come to Colorado to pick it up.

:like:
our local dealer here in southern maryland only has JLUs, no 2 doors. i think they may become a thing of the past.

zimcra64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
I’m in central Pennsylvania and when I was looking back in the beginning of this year I found plenty of 2 door JLs but nearly all of them were autos. I went to a local dealer to order one but they found exactly what I was looking for a few hundred miles away. They did a dealer trade and I left with it 2 days later. They are out there, just hard to find. I didn’t think a willys with crank windows, manual locks, manual transmission and the cheap stereo would be so rare. I guess it’s a sign of the times.

Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
As I understand, keyless entry, remote start and proximity start are three separate options; each with their individual up charges.
Every JL comes standard with proximity start. You cannot get a JL with a physical keyed ignition.

Raz65

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
There's a shortage of a 2 door wrangler with a manual in my garage. Special ordered six weeks ago and no VIN or est build date yet. Looks like it'll be next year before it gets here.

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
There's a shortage of a 2 door wrangler with a manual in my garage. Special ordered six weeks ago and no VIN or est build date yet. Looks like it'll be next year before it gets here.
That isn't much fun. I have heard rumors of Covid impact at the plant but I am just not sure. It sure would be fun to have in time to run around during a holiday break period a little (properly distanced, of course)!

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Whoa! I would have expected to at least know the VIN by now. I ordered my 2-door manual 10/5 and knew the VIN a couple of weeks later, still no estimated build date...

That isn't much fun. I have heard rumors of Covid impact at the plant but I am just not sure.
Well, rats. Makes sense given how long it's taken to get a build date.

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
I bought mine off the lot, 2 dr 6 speed, only option was AC, and I had a set of winters on rims thrown in. Exactly what I wanted option wise and on my short list of colors, was in my city so it worked out really well. I got business partner pricing and kinda beat them down a bit beyond that so it was a decent deal at 32k and change (Canadian). Just wish I knew about the max tow package beforehand I may have ordered one instead to get those wide track 44s. The 2 doors don't actually seem crazy uncommon in my area at least, obviously more 4 doors but definitely doesn't seem like 90%

Sponsored

Duluth Diesel

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy’s Sport
I wanted a 2 door V6 manual Willy’s Sport. Ordered it because no one had such a thing near me.

Deleted member 59098

No. Proximity ignition means the driver never needs to insert a key to start vehicle. Just needs to have a radio transmitter keyfob nearby (in pocket) and only needs to push the button to start. As I understand, keyless entry, remote start and proximity start are three separate options; each with their individual up charges.

You have no idea of crazy steep until wheeling Utah. Shouldn't be stalling on ascents unless in too high of gear. There's a safety feature in Jeeps since 1984 manual XJs and YJs (Throttle Position Sensor) which automatically gives a boost when engine RPMs go below 500 while in gear. Unless the feature is not working, a stall on ascent in the proper gear is unheard of. That 6sp low range should allow you to descend a 45 degree pitch on slick rock without ever touching your brakes and conversely, climb without feeding much throttle.
I’ve only had the Jeep for less than a week. Still trying to get used to the manual. It’s really touchy on how much gas to give it when you let out the clutch. On flats you can go no gas, or just a little bit. On steep hills you definitely need some gas. I’m still used to my old manual Golf R, which is pretty much do whatever you want in 1st gear.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
There is no shortage of 2 door Jeeps (with or without manuals), just a lack of demand. That's why you don't see more. I have yet to see a JL (2 door) around here and I can't go very far without seeing another Jeep. Definitely order if you can't find what your looking for. A few dealers here in MD offer discounts below dealer invoice no matter if you order or buy off the lot.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
You'll likely never find one sitting on a lot. 2-door manual is about as undesirable as it gets and not likely for a dealer to order one for stock. Custom order is your best bet.
Explained elsewhere, but the TL;DR: the take rate for both is pretty low, so combining them will make them much harder to find. Jeep makes less, most dealers won't touch them for their stock, and so it creates a self fulfilling prophecy.
I know everyone's situation is different, but this is exactly why I always advocate using the internet (cars.com, Autotrader) and if you can't get what you want that way? Factory order with a friendly dealer willing to help you. It's the only way to stem the tide of dealers catering to the general public, most of whom won't even consider 2 door or a manual trans, let alone both.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Definitely order......get it at a discount and get EXACTLY what you want....the way you want it.
3.6, 6 speed Manual.....love it.....no regrets !
2 Door Rules !

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a shortage of 2-Door Wranglers (with manual transmissions)? EC01738B-568C-4778-AE8A-4AF2CB86B156
Sponsored

Last edited: