Sponsored

Is there a shortage of 2-Door Wranglers (with manual transmissions)?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a fixed price difference between the 2 and 4 door models. You can make either of them stupid-expensive if you’re so inclined. I doubt many 2 door owners buy 2 doors due to the slightly lower price.
Well, the fact is that the proportion of 2-door Wrangler sales continues to shrink.

Some of it is due to FCA's boneheaded decision to drop the 2-door from Sahara, Sport Altitude, Sahara Altitude, and High Altitude.

But as Wrangler prices continue to climb into absurd territory, my guess is many buyers find it harder to justify spending that kind of money on a 2-door vehicle.
Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for your replies, guys! I've never ordered a vehicle as I primarily assumed there would be no discounts offered nor any negotiating allowed. Am I correct?
No, you are wrong. You can negotiate an order much better than trying to negotiate one off a lot. Getting 5% off invoice out of their stock for a current model year is unheard of.

BTW, only about 25% of all Wranglers sold today are 2 door. Adding the Unlimited all those years ago is what has led to the Wrangler's popularity.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Well, the fact is that the proportion of 2-door Wrangler sales continues to shrink.

Some of it is due to FCA's boneheaded decision to drop the 2-door from Sahara, Sport Altitude, Sahara Altitude, and High Altitude.

But as Wrangler prices continue to climb into absurd territory, my guess is many buyers find it harder to justify spending that kind of money on a 2-door vehicle.
I wouldn’t take a 4 door if it cost 10k less than a 2 door. And it’s no surprise you can’t get a 2 door in the soccer mom trims.

There are already too many 2 door vs 4 door threads, but I also have a guess that next to nobody who buys a two door put any consideration into the tiny difference in price.

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
Thanks for your replies, guys! I've never ordered a vehicle as I primarily assumed there would be no discounts offered nor any negotiating allowed. Am I correct?

6% under invoice on my order. I suspect you can find 6-8% under invoice if you look hard enough. You would be hard pressed to find something on the lot lower than that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t take a 4 door if it cost 10k less than a 2 door. And it’s no surprise you can’t get a 2 door in the soccer mom trims.

There are already too many 2 door vs 4 door threads, but I also have a guess that next to nobody who buys a two door put any consideration into the tiny difference in price.

The point I am trying to make is not that there is a $3,000 price difference between a 2 and a 4 door. The point is that the more expensive Wranglers become, the more 2-door looks like an expensive toy.

For better or worse, the 4-door can fulfill a lot more household roles, making it easier to justify for the vast majority of buyers. And that is what sales show.

Yes yes you hate 4-door Wranglers. You made your point.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The point I am trying to make is not that there is a $3,000 price difference between a 2 and a 4 door. The point is that the more expensive Wranglers become, the more 2-door looks like an expensive toy.

For better or worse, the 4-door can fulfill a lot more household roles, making it easier to justify for the vast majority of buyers. And that is what sales show.

Yes yes you hate 4-door Wranglers. You made your point.
I don’t hate 4 door wrangler at all. I simply don’t have use for one. Whether it’s a $30k build or $60k, saying someone “might as well get” a different door count and wheelbase is silly. A 4 door wrangler isn’t an upgrade, it’s just different.

Tldr: “Hey if you’re spending that much, why not spend a few grand more to get the model you don’t want?” Makes no sense to me.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I just bought my 1st 4-door; simply to get the Ecodiesel. 2-doors are perfect for empty-nesters who want a more traditional package. To me the rear doors always seemed like an afterthought style-wise. That said, it’s beginning to grow on me. But...make no mistake, the 2-doors have the most Jeep DNA. 4-doors were developed exclusively for added passenger capacity. The additional doors certainly don’t add to the Jeeps capabilities, but they are good for families. I’m still trying to get used to the additional length.

it’s akin to how longtime 911 owners feel about the Cayenne

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Just for kicks, I built a 2-door Rubicon online: V6, automatic, hardtop, steel bumpers, LEDs, Cold Weather Group, Safety Group, Tow Group, front camera, etc....$60,000. Geezis...! :surprised:

For that kind of money, just as well get the 4 door.

Ridiculous prices must be why 2-door Wranglers are becoming rarer and rarer.
yeah, the prices are up there when you add he options on a 2 door. so it makes sence to jump over to a 4 door. plus most likely get a better discount. the good thing about jeep is that you can custom build a jeep with what you want. thats what i ended doing and luckly found on on the lot with exactly what i wanted. right down to the color.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
As said, few 2 drs period, add in the limited overall demand for manuals and id guess manual 2 dr models are probably only 1-2% of the total Jeeps being built. No wonder they’re hard to find. I had trouble finding a 2 dr auto with with limited slip...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought my 1st 4-door; simply to get the Ecodiesel. 2-doors are perfect for empty-nesters who want a more traditional package. To me the rear doors always seemed like an afterthought style-wise. That said, it’s beginning to grow on me. But...make no mistake, the 2-doors have the most Jeep DNA. 4-doors were developed exclusively for added passenger capacity. The additional doors certainly don’t add to the Jeeps capabilities, but they are good for families. I’m still trying to get used to the additional length.

it’s akin to how longtime 911 owners feel about the Cayenne
Indeed. We keep hearing that the 4-door sedan is dead. The reality is the 4-door sedan now lives as 4-door pickups and 4-door Jeeps.

Sponsored

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
The point I am trying to make is not that there is a $3,000 price difference between a 2 and a 4 door The point is that the more expensive Wranglers become, the more 2-door looks like an expensive toy.
This made me laugh as it was spot on for me. I thought to myself after I bought my 2-door that it was the most expensive toy I have ever bought.

We have a '16 JKU and my 2021 2 door. A 2 door really isn't practical but I love the looks of it so much better than the 4 door. The ride is much rougher and the door is a pain to get passengers in the back seat. But I like the 2 door so much better!!

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The ride is much rougher and the door is a pain to get passengers in the back seat. But I like the 2 door so much better!!
I'd be curious to know how many 2-dr owners remove their back seats as soon as they get home from the dealer. I always did. One has to be a contortionist to get to the back seat.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
There's a dealer in Alhambra, CA that has three totally stripped, base Sport 2 doors with manuals on their inventory website. Silver, Black, and White. The ONLY options on each of them is the color and trail rated kit... Not even A/C on any of them. $27k

I'm a bit confused as to why they have them, but I like it! Super rare to have stripped models in Southern CA. Well, in terms of vehicles that is.... I almost bought one instead of ordering mine but they were the wrong color and I wanted half doors.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I'd be curious to know how many 2-dr owners remove their back seats as soon as they get home from the dealer. I always did. One has to be a contortionist to get to the back seat.
True! I don’t like to run with the back seat or back windows.
Sponsored