Sponsored

Is there a roof rack that will work with the soft top?

NotYours

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 2500
Im trying to find out if there is a rack that will allow me to put the top up and take down on a 22 Sport S. Ive seen several for the hard tops but none that say or show the 2 door soft top?
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
A rack would have to go under the top, so you can have one that fits under the top, but you can't have stuff on it with the top up. Or, you can do the exo-skeleton thing, like a Gobi Rack.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I went with these. Believe they are Exposed Racks… I don’t like that Gobi doesn’t give a load rating with the soft stop and states to use upper stabilizers for heavy loads (only can be used on hardtop).
Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a roof rack that will work with the soft top? FCAD3B2C-E192-4400-AD4D-188F1F3056EC

Scarif Patrol

First Name
MK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLU Sahara 4Xe
I went with these. Believe they are Exposed Racks… I don’t like that Gobi doesn’t give a load rating with the soft stop and states to use upper stabilizers for heavy loads (only can be used on hardtop).
Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a roof rack that will work with the soft top? FCAD3B2C-E192-4400-AD4D-188F1F3056EC
If you are looking to go with an exoskeleton rack for a soft top Adventure Rack Systems has one that doesn’t require stabilizers

Sponsored

MTB Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S - Real deal 2dr, soft top, 6 spd
I went down this road forever trying to find a good rack to haul a kayak/SUP on a 2 door soft top. I ended up choosing the Gobi by default. Nothing out there works with retracting the soft top. Any other rack didn’t look appealing to me. It was way too much money - $2500 and took way too long - Five frustrating months. Would I choose it again in hindsight??? Pros: looks great and fits nice. Does the job with Kayak, SUP, camping gear. Cons: Cost. HORRIBLE wind noise. Delays. Added weight sags rear end (must buy $1k winch to try to level out) and bogs down 6spd w/ 33s. Added height just barely fits in garage with Yakima J-low rack on rack. (Can’t lift now). Have to haul a step ladder around to load/unload anything. Putting top up/down PITA (I drive with just the windows removed) what’s the difference with a rack and bikini top overhead anyways (actually kind of cool this way). In hindsight I could’ve bought a used hardtop for $2100 and had other options for mounting gear. Sure I would still have some of the other challenges but I’d have a hardtop and soft top which would be great. Now that I live in Oregon vs SoCal I really only use soft top 4 months. But, those are the months I need to haul the water gear. Seriously the wind now causes the soft top to be unbearably load. I think I’ll need to buy a hard top anyways. At least I can still use the rack with both tops. So, there are some honest things for y’all in the same situation to consider. Verdict: despite all the drawbacks… I would probably go with the Gobi again. I hope this helps some of you with your decision.

5CC95103-877F-4110-8BE8-CEEE2C9F9CB7.jpeg

OP
OP
NotYours

NotYours

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 2500
I went down this road forever trying to find a good rack to haul a kayak/SUP on a 2 door soft top. I ended up choosing the Gobi by default. Nothing out there works with retracting the soft top. Any other rack didn’t look appealing to me. It was way too much money - $2500 and took way too long - Five frustrating months. Would I choose it again in hindsight??? Pros: looks great and fits nice. Does the job with Kayak, SUP, camping gear. Cons: Cost. HORRIBLE wind noise. Delays. Added weight sags rear end (must buy $1k winch to try to level out) and bogs down 6spd w/ 33s. Added height just barely fits in garage with Yakima J-low rack on rack. (Can’t lift now). Have to haul a step ladder around to load/unload anything. Putting top up/down PITA (I drive with just the windows removed) what’s the difference with a rack and bikini top overhead anyways (actually kind of cool this way). In hindsight I could’ve bought a used hardtop for $2100 and had other options for mounting gear. Sure I would still have some of the other challenges but I’d have a hardtop and soft top which would be great. Now that I live in Oregon vs SoCal I really only use soft top 4 months. But, those are the months I need to haul the water gear. Seriously the wind now causes the soft top to be unbearably load. I think I’ll need to buy a hard top anyways. At least I can still use the rack with both tops. So, there are some honest things for y’all in the same situation to consider. Verdict: despite all the drawbacks… I would probably go with the Gobi again. I hope this helps some of you with your decision.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a roof rack that will work with the soft top? 5CC95103-877F-4110-8BE8-CEEE2C9F9CB7
Very helpful! I have looking into a rack for the exact same reason. I did not think about the weight sagging the back. 6speed and 33's as well here. Very useful post! Thank you!

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Im trying to find out if there is a rack that will allow me to put the top up and take down on a 22 Sport S. Ive seen several for the hard tops but none that say or show the 2 door soft top?
Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a roof rack that will work with the soft top? 1658944216554

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hi Matt:

Before editing this post I wrongly suggested this, which only works with a 4 door which I now realize you don't have:

https://lodoffroad.com/category/jl-roof-rack

Moving a Gobi rack to raise or lower a top

Last edited: