Sponsored

Is there a reason why you couldn't put hybrid or EV batteries inside the frame rails of a Wrangler?

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Finding places for batteries seems to be one of the biggest issues with hybrids and EVs - engineers have to make sure there is enough passenger and storage room.

Most EVs and hybrids use banks of what are essentially specialized hobby batteries, a bit larger than your average AA:

When I look at a diagram of the Wrangler's frame, the center section and cross rails seem to be ideal places for batteries. As a bonus, there is airflow over these which would help with cooling (although hurt with heating during the winter).

2018_JL_Frame_Dimensions-2-768x514.jpg

FWIW, Ford may be using the area between the frame rails: https://www.thedrive.com/news/31323...-mount-battery-inside-traditional-truck-frame
Sponsored

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Do you mean between the frame rails or actually *inside*?

If there were inside the rails if the frame was ever bent in an accident the batteries would be compressed and essentially turn the frame rails into pipe bombs.

Between the rails though like that f150 patent is where they would likely go in an EV because you wouldn't have a transmission/transfercase/driveshaft/fuel tank, so you'd would have a wide open rectangle under the floor pan that would be perfect for a tesla style battery pack.

OP
OP

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Do you mean between the frame rails or actually *inside*?

If there were inside the rails if the frame was ever bent in an accident the batteries would be compressed and essentially turn the frame rails into pipe bombs.

Between the rails though like that f150 patent is where they would likely go in an EV because you wouldn't have a transmission/transfercase/driveshaft/fuel tank, so you'd would have a wide open rectangle under the floor pan that would be perfect for a tesla style battery pack.
I was thinking "inside" which would allow for easy packaging in an EV because only the frame rails would be different since the hybrid motor is built into the transmission.

Your point about crashing is valid, although I'm not sure the concern needs to be any different from any hybrid battery location. Those center frame rails, before the frame curves upward, shouldn't be subject to much flex in a crash, especially with a bit of reinforcement.

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
I wouldn't buy it if they were in the frame rails. Beyond that I'd think that the risks of the frames buckling and shorting in a wreck causing a fire is a big reason not to. Personally I like that the battery is inside the cabin and under the rear seat.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Easy packaging? Putting batteries inside a frame that is made by casting and bending steel?

Sponsored

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As TexGoat replied, never say never. Someday battery technology may progress so that it is flexible enough to fit anywhere and durable/reliable enough to last the life of the vehicle. But with today’s technology, I would also be concerned with the ability to replace a dead battery. Inside of the boxed cross section of the frame rails strikes me as difficult to access after assembly, particularly once you have built a vehicle on it.

pappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ever thought about serviceability?
Sponsored