First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I have the exposed racks for my JLU. Got everything for using it with both hard top & no top. Good quality.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
i love my EVO no drill solution. its a half rack that allows use of the freedom tops with no drilling. it clamps to the gutters and has been super secure, even rubbing on trees and such. its already saved my hard top some damage.

it and others that only attach to the hard top only have a weight rating equivalent to the hard top weight rating, so you cannot run a RTT or other heavy accessories. it works great for my uses.
does this one leave any marks on the hardtop? I like the look of this one and just wanting something to hold some camping gear. But i donā€™t want to run all year. However, if it leaves marks, I might as well drill for the rhino rack.

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I have the exposed racks for my JLU. Got everything for using it with both hard top & no top. Good quality.
Do you have pics? What kind of loads are you carrying on these? Iā€™m interested in mounting a tent, but I have concerns that the exposed racks are too good to be true for that kind of static load on the hard top. Two people plus a dog and the tent itself worries me but they say it can be done.

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
The EVO has caught my eye for a lo profile setup. But I just came across this on amazon. I have their rear cargo shelf and am impressed by the quality for the price. No reviews yet though on amazon. Anyone else see this. And I doubt I would use the lights it comes with, at least where they have them mounted. I only need a rack for maxx trax, camp chairs, and fire wood so I don't care about weight ratings and stuff. But lo profile and easy on off is key.as I wouldn't run it in the Wisconsin salt covered winters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082SR9MGT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_fk4bEbWC6GD2S

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
does this one leave any marks on the hardtop? I like the look of this one and just wanting something to hold some camping gear. But i donā€™t want to run all year. However, if it leaves marks, I might as well drill for the rhino rack.
Nope, no marks.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Do you have pics? What kind of loads are you carrying on these? Iā€™m interested in mounting a tent, but I have concerns that the exposed racks are too good to be true for that kind of static load on the hard top. Two people plus a dog and the tent itself worries me but they say it can be done.
sorry no picture, but go to their website and they have pictures.

I agree completely with your reasoning. I do not have any idea the max static load the JL roof can take.

that said..

They use 5 crossbars for spreading the load of rooftop tents. In doing my research, I have not found anything that spreads the load as evenly across the roof. In addition to the drip rail mounts, they offer feet under the bars so that the load is truly spread across the entire roof.

In relation to the max static load line of thinking, my point is that their rack should give you the best shot at carrying the most weight that the roof can support. (back to the question of the roof itself, how strong is it)

I think the only thing more secure would be a body mount rack, i.e. LOD destroyer or others. But then the question becomes how strong is each mount point & how is the load distributed to each mount point, etc..... (but then we start talking directional load forces...)

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
sorry no picture, but go to their website and they have pictures.

I agree completely with your reasoning. I do not have any idea the max static load the JL roof can take.

that said..

They use 5 crossbars for spreading the load of rooftop tents. In doing my research, I have not found anything that spreads the load as evenly across the roof. In addition to the drip rail mounts, they offer feet under the bars so that the load is truly spread across the entire roof.

In relation to the max static load line of thinking, my point is that their rack should give you the best shot at carrying the most weight that the roof can support. (back to the question of the roof itself, how strong is it)

I think the only thing more secure would be a body mount rack, i.e. LOD destroyer or others. But then the question becomes how strong is each mount point & how is the load distributed to each mount point, etc..... (but then we start talking directional load forces...)
Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I really like the idea of being able to remove the rack easily and maybe these are the ticket. I agree that the load spreading feet should really make it strong, but Iā€™m still not sure.

I have some time to think about it because I need some 35s before I buy a rack and a tent

Aidencaster

First Name
Anto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
EAG off amazon. Sits in the gutter of the hard top and mounts into the bolts for the rear window. I like this one for the soul purpose of if you really want a full length roof rack. Or if you realy want a half roof rack you can take out or out in the 2nd center rack peice. Still be able to have access to the freedom panels that way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FP876CR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8QyeEb4AS3Y2A

20191012_095830.jpg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The EVO has caught my eye for a lo profile setup. But I just came across this on amazon. I have their rear cargo shelf and am impressed by the quality for the price. No reviews yet though on amazon. Anyone else see this. And I doubt I would use the lights it comes with, at least where they have them mounted. I only need a rack for maxx trax, camp chairs, and fire wood so I don't care about weight ratings and stuff. But lo profile and easy on off is key.as I wouldn't run it in the Wisconsin salt covered winters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082SR9MGT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_fk4bEbWC6GD2S
Thank you for this.

I struggle with stuff like this on Amazon. The sellerā€™s website is a different URL name than the ā€œHooke Roadā€ brand. No indication of where this is manufactured or engineered (and for something like a roof rack, engineering is important to me). Conversely, this company states that they are SEMA members so, thatā€™s a plus. Personally, for something like a roof rack, I would want to know a lot more about the company/brand, etc.

Sponsored

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thank you for this.

I struggle with stuff like this on Amazon. The sellerā€™s website is a different URL name than the ā€œHooke Roadā€ brand. No indication of where this is manufactured or engineered (and for something like a roof rack, engineering is important to me). Conversely, this company states that they are SEMA members so, thatā€™s a plus. Personally, for something like a roof rack, I would want to know a lot more about the company/brand, etc.
If I remember correctly they shipped the cargo rack from Canada, and it came quickly also. Whether it's made there or elsewhere I have no idea.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
If I remember correctly they shipped the cargo rack from Canada, and it came quickly also. Whether it's made there or elsewhere I have no idea.
I did just find this.....

https://www.ubox-offroad.com/pages/about-us

Looks like a fairly young company based in Asia with a US presence.

regardless, enjoy the rack and keep us updated on how well it stands up/features/likes/dislikes, etc. I would like to learn more about real world experiences with this brand.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
The EAG products seem to be branded racks from Alibaba/Express. Looks like the Extreme Terrain RedRock rack as well.

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
I am thinking to insert something between the hardtop and sound bar/roll cage so the roof is rest on roll cage structure.
By doing this, can the roof handle heavy load like RTT?

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
I am thinking to insert something between the hardtop and sound bar/roll cage so the roof is rest on roll cage structure.
By doing this, can the roof handle heavy load like RTT?
That's a good idea, but my concern isn't so much with the main roof structure, but the rails on the sides where the connections are made.
Sponsored