Sponsored

Is there a master list of things that void your warranty?

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
Good evening. I'm in the researching phase prior to purchasing a JLUR (hopefully) this summer. I'm trying to avoid making expensive mistakes.

I've read a number of threads talking about how dealers tend to try to get out of doing warranty work for aftermarket add-ons/replacements. Is there a master list of what voids coverage that is maintained somewhere on the forums?

For example, I'm trying to decide whether to get the steel bumper group, or just get an aftermarket bumper. If I were to put an aftermarket bumper on it and relocate the safety group proximity sensors to it, would that give them cause to refuse to cover anything related to the safety group sensors?

How far can they go with their refusal to work on something b/c of aftermarket parts? So, if I put a lift on it, can they refuse to repair a bad radio, or engine sensor, etc.

Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

EDIT: If not, let's start one here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
In your example of the lift, they cannot refuse warranty on unrelated items, such as radio or A.C. If something can be directly attributed to the aftermarket part, they would most likely refuse. But, I believe they have to prove it. This can be a tricky subject. Some dealers are good about it and others are just problematic.

Also as an example, If your sensors on the rear bumper goes bad or something related to the safety group is problematic, they could use the aftermarket bumper as the cause and refuse. People have had to put back on the OEM parts before the dealers would work on their jeeps.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Why? Technically anything you do can void a warranty repair. They have to prove your mod caused the failure but technically any change you do "could". The list would be simple. Anything you add can.

In all reality it wouldn't happen and everyone here is going to have a million examples or good and bad. All up to the human at the dealer.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
By "law" they have to prove a mod caused a defect, but from my recent experience with local dealers (4 of them) they will try and do anything to avoid a warranty claim. My wife had to visit several different dealers just to get her radio updated. I wanted them to perform a few of the other software TSB's, and look at our squeaking clutch pedal but they refused due to modifications to the suspension/tire size.

I got so mentally exhausted of fighting with them that I've already decided to wait until the aftermarket comes up with solutions to our factory defects.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I wish I had the time and money to start a class action lawsuit against dealers and manufacturers.

Basically it comes down to anything you do can void the warranty according to them.
Because let's be real...they say it voided warranty because of blah blah reason...now it is up to you to prove them wrong...who has the time and money to fight FCA lawyers? or Dealerships...not many people.
Magnuson Moss Act is such a loose written law, that in the end protects the dealer and manufacturer, because WTF has the time and money for that long drawn out legal battle?

I have read on numerous occasions here, that the dealer voided the warranty because they had a MOPAR lift installed...at the same friggin dealer, everything is so far beyond ridiculous.

sorry I am pissed off, just found out an implant is $3500 and insurance covers $137 of it

People are being taken advantage of everywhere...you may see a Punk'N JLU on the news soon

OP
OP
unconfirmed

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
Why? Technically anything you do can void a warranty repair. They have to prove your mod caused the failure but technically any change you do "could". The list would be simple. Anything you add can.

In all reality it wouldn't happen and everyone here is going to have a million examples or good and bad. All up to the human at the dealer.
I get your point, but it would be helpful for people new to the whole Jeep world (like me) to have some idea on the impact of what they're doing up front, rather than getting a nasty surprise later.

For example, if installing a lift kit is going to give every dealer in the world cause to deny any claims to do with the suspension, steering, etc., I'd like to know that up front. Also, if buying the Mopar lift kit and having it installed by a dealer negates this (which allegedly it does) and keeps the warranty unquestionable, it would be very useful to know that as well. I discovered that scenario quite by accident.

Having a comprehensive place to see concrete cases where coverage was denied (and ways around those denials) would be helpful, at least to me, in planning what I'm going to do. I fully acknowledge that I'm a (over) researcher, so I get it if not everyone would find this particularly useful.

YMMV...

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I cut and pasted this from the extended warranty plan. I assume this is true during the initial factory warranty period.

THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:

• Repairs or replacement of any component covered by any of the Vehicle manufacturer warranties, Certified Warranty, part manufacturer warranties or recall policies; roadside assistance, loaner vehicles or other services which are eligible to be covered by the Vehicle’s manufacturer warranty or marketing programs;

• Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect (such as a design defect or normal wear);

• Repair or replacement of any covered component when it has been determined that the condition existed prior to

purchasing the Plan;

• Plan benefits where the Vehicle odometer reading has been stopped or altered and/or the Vehicle’s actual mileage

cannot be readily determined;

• Brake pads, shoes, rotors and drums are not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure);

• Reimbursement of services/benefits that exceed the total number of services/allowance included in Plan Coverage;

• Battery and cables, any battery for a component, spark plugs and wires, belts, hoses, lights (bulb, sealed beams,

lenses), suspension alignment, wheel balancing, wiper blades, catalytic converter, particulate filter or any other exhaust system components, heat shields and exhaust hangers; throttle body cleaning; carbon cleaning; evaporator deodorizing; thermostat; P.C.V. valve;

• High voltage battery is not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure);

• Repairs due to any alterations or modifications to the Vehicle not approved or recommended by the manufacturer,

including but not limited to: (a) failure of any custom or add-on / aftermarket part (unless listed as a specific covered part); (b) emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications; engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications; (c) oversized/undersized tires; (d) all frame or suspension modifications;

• Repairs to covered components that are the direct result of the failure of alterations or modifications not recommended by the manufacturer;

• Lift kits that exceed two (2) inches; repairs to covered components that are the direct result of the failure of a lift kit that exceeds two (2) inches;

• Plan benefits necessary as a result of (a) failure to properly care for or maintain the Vehicle; (b) fire, accident, abuse, vandalism, negligence, Acts of Terrorism or Act of God including but not limited to the Vehicle rendered inoperable due to snow, ice or flood; (c) failure to properly operate the Vehicle; (d) Vehicles that have been used or are being used for competitive speed events such as races or acceleration trials; (e) pulling a trailer that exceeds the rated capacity of the Vehicle or failure to adhere to the requirements for vehicles used to pull a trailer as outlined in the owner manual supplied by the manufacturer; (f) tampering with the emission system or with any parts that could affect that system; (g) use of dirty fluids, or fuels, refrigerants or other fluids which are not recommended by the manufacturer; (h) failure due to fluid contamination or sludge; (i) modifications not approved or recommended by the manufacturer; (j) overloading rated payload capacity of the Vehicle; (k) damage incurred by off-road usage;

• Fasteners, bolts and attaching hardware that does not attach a covered component to another covered component;

• Repairs to a covered component where the component has been restricted by the manufacturer; repairs that are the

direct result of the failure of a component that has been restricted by the manufacturer;

• Repairs caused by pre-ignition detonation, pinging, improper/contaminated fuel including fuels containing more than

10% ethanol (if the engine was not manufactured for this mixture);

• Plan service obtained from other than a Dealer unless authorization is first received from us. FCA US Vehicles must

return to a FCA US LLC Dealer for Plan covered repairs; (Dealers cannot authorize repairs.)

• RepairsrequiredasaresultofuseofotherthantheVehiclemanufacturer’spartsduringthetermofthe

Plan, unless authorized by us;

• Repairs to a covered component caused by the failure of a non-covered component and/or an aftermarket installation

not performed by a Dealer, or any outside installation of "salvage or junk" components in conjunction with an insurance or damage claim. All part installations to satisfy such claims must be with new or factory authorized remanufactured components and parts;

• Bodily injury or property damage arising or allegedly arising out of a defect in the design, manufacture, materials or

workmanship of a covered component;

• Any fines, fees or taxes which are associated with impound towing as a result of actual or alleged violation of any laws

or regulations;

• Plan benefits to Vehicles operated outside of the United States, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico and Mexico;

• Plan benefits to Vehicles registered outside of the United States, Guam and Puerto Rico;

• Mechanical - manual clutch assembly; clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch release bearing and pilot bearing (manual

transmission); damage to flywheel as a result of a clutch failure; repairs to snow plows, winches and trailer hitches

regardless of their installation;

• Components NOT listed are NOT covered by the Plan; unless damaged as the direct result of the failure of a Plan

covered component;

• Cost or expenses for teardown, rental, inspection or diagnosis of failures not covered by the Plan;

• Shop supplies, waste disposal fees and materials;

• Repairs to any Vehicle where the title has become branded or the Vehicle has become restricted by the manufacturer

after the purchase of the Plan;

• Maintenance services specified in the owner’s manual and the parts used in connection with such services;

• Repairs to a covered component caused by the failure of a non-covered component and/or an aftermarket installation

not performed by an authorized Dealer;

• Repairs or replacement to components covered by the Hybrid System Limited Warranty (refer to Warranty booklet for

details);

• Hybrid components: hybrid charging system; hybrid electric cooling system; hybrid power invertor system;

• Portable Units including but not limited to - headphones; I-Pods; GPS units; DVD players; laptop computers; cellular

phones; any hand-held device; Navigation DVD;

• Repair or replacement of Performance parts, Performance enhancing parts; repairs to covered components that are the

direct result of failure of a performance part;

• Any economic loss of any kind, including but not limited to rental car expenses, consequential damages, incidental

damages, or other losses that relate in any manner to your use or loss of use of the Covered Vehicle.

MTKMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4xe, 21 Range Rover HSE,
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming your servicing dealership is going to be the same one you purchased your Jeep through, and you’re not moving anytime soon, I’d recommend the below. It’s worked well for me in the past.
No one cares about a warranty being voided until there is a problem. Car buying/ repairing is a relationship business. Talk to your local service manager, butter up his/ her ego, ask their opinion and get their “expertise” prior to doing mods, or needing a repair. Still do your own research and come to this forum like the rest of us to make a well informed decision, but make him/ her feel included.
For example, I include my wife when it comes to making decisions. Do I really care what she thinks of my tire/ wheel combination on a Jeep she drives five days a year? Not really, she has her own car. By including her in the conversation it makes her feel that her knowledge is important, that she has a say, an opinion, and adds value to the decision. Ultimately, it will not affect the outcome, it just saves the conversation on the back side when there is a stack of boxes in front of the garage.

Make the service manager your friend and build a relationship before you start asking him to break the rules, do you any favors, or find yourself in his lobby referencing the Magnuson- Moss Warranty Act when you’re in need of a repair.

If they are included from day one, or they knows your a “good dude”, they are much easier to deal with. I’ve always introduced myself and brought coffee and donuts to my first service appointment as a “good faith” gesture, I have yet to be turned away for any warranty issues. A simple polite act, $20, and building a relationship has saved me thousands.

OP
OP
unconfirmed

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
Assuming your servicing dealership is going to be the same one you purchased your Jeep through, and you’re not moving anytime soon, I’d recommend the below. It’s worked well for me in the past.
No one cares about a warranty being voided until there is a problem. Car buying/ repairing is a relationship business. Talk to your local service manager, butter up his/ her ego, ask their opinion and get their “expertise” prior to doing mods, or needing a repair. Still do your own research and come to this forum like the rest of us to make a well informed decision, but make him/ her feel included.
For example, I include my wife when it comes to making decisions. Do I really care what she thinks of my tire/ wheel combination on a Jeep she drives five days a year? Not really, she has her own car. By including her in the conversation it makes her feel that her knowledge is important, that she has a say, an opinion, and adds value to the decision. Ultimately, it will not affect the outcome, it just saves the conversation on the back side when there is a stack of boxes in front of the garage.

Make the service manager your friend and build a relationship before you start asking him to break the rules, do you any favors, or find yourself in his lobby referencing the Magnuson- Moss Warranty Act when you’re in need of a repair.

If they are included from day one, or they knows your a “good dude”, they are much easier to deal with. I’ve always introduced myself and brought coffee and donuts to my first service appointment as a “good faith” gesture, I have yet to be turned away for any warranty issues. A simple polite act, $20, and building a relationship has saved me thousands.
Solid advice. Thanks!

While I hadn't considered it specifically for this application, I have found that a box of donuts generally improves most situations.

Sponsored

MTKMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4xe, 21 Range Rover HSE,
Vehicle Showcase
Solid advice. Thanks!

While I hadn't considered it specifically for this application, I have found that a box of donuts generally improves most situations.
Doesn’t have to be donuts, just anything. It won’t work for everyone, but it has served me well. On my recent JL it has save me about $1,400 to include some “freebies” that were given to me.
Hopefully it won’t be an issue with your Jeep.

dmen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Willys
Anyone know if installing the Smart Stop Start will cause any warranty issues? I have one installed (and love it) and it's at the dealer right now because it wouldn't start yesterday.

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
Good evening. I'm in the researching phase prior to purchasing a JLUR (hopefully) this summer. I'm trying to avoid making expensive mistakes.

I've read a number of threads talking about how dealers tend to try to get out of doing warranty work for aftermarket add-ons/replacements. Is there a master list of what voids coverage that is maintained somewhere on the forums?

For example, I'm trying to decide whether to get the steel bumper group, or just get an aftermarket bumper. If I were to put an aftermarket bumper on it and relocate the safety group proximity sensors to it, would that give them cause to refuse to cover anything related to the safety group sensors?

How far can they go with their refusal to work on something b/c of aftermarket parts? So, if I put a lift on it, can they refuse to repair a bad radio, or engine sensor, etc.

Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

No there is no list because it's illegal for a dealer/manufacturer to "void" you warranty. Some unscrupulous dealers try this BS with people, but people need to push back or take their business elsewhere and file complaints with either Jeep, or their state attorney general when this BS happens. The only valid warranty denials are when something you modify or if some action you take leads to the problem. People need to read about the Magnuson Moss Act.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/sta...nty-federal-trade-commission-improvements-act
Sponsored