Sponsored

Is there a JL truck conversion out there yet?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I've said this before, a way to make a JLU into a pickup is rear half doors , a bulkhead behind driver/ passenger seats; Bestop Roadster wrap around soft top and the extended tonneau.
Collins Brothers Jeeps in Texas made bulkheads and hard top half cabs for the JKU, so maybe the JLU will be next
Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I would give AEV a call to see if they were planning anything. They brought us the Brute.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Rear half doors with no external handles would be ideal. It would be cheaper to modify full doors that way than to get Mopar half doors. All you would need on the back side is a sheetmetal panel and a latch.

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Doubt it will ever happen en mass with the JT available.
Break
"If you want a 2 door Gladiator, buy a Wrangler Unlimited." -Mark Allen, head of Jeep design

It's never going to happen because it wouldn't sell.

I don't understand the appeal anyway. I grew up with regular cab trucks and they were fricking miserable.
Not everyone wants a truck with a break over of a limo though. An extended cab would sell. Remember, FCA said there would NEVER be a V8 option LOL...

Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Here is the JK kit. It sold poorly, so it’s very doubtful there will be a JL version. It was cool, but you had to buy the JK first, then spend $5k for this kit and another $5k in labor (if you didn’t do any of the work).

https://uncrate.com/mopar-jk-8-jeep-kit/

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I think someone needs to make a removable bulk head for a JLU and block off panels for the rear doors like a HMMWV. That way you can still get into the rear foot well for storage.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I think someone needs to make a removable bulk head for a JLU and block off panels for the rear doors like a HMMWV. That way you can still get into the rear foot well for storage.
That is pretty much what the DV8 kit was. Plus it had a drop in bed liner. I was looking at buying converted JK. I didn’t because my wife smelled exhaust. I think it was the adhesives still curing. Either way it was $$$. Oh well, I ended up with my JLURD.

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I have a 2 door and took out the back seat. The Gladiator was never an option for me as it is just too big. I personally would consider a 2 door Gladiator, but I don't know if there are enough people like me out there that would buy one to make it worth while for Jeep to make it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I would argue that's not really true.
Manufacturers make the majority 4 door trucks, yes. But they don't even offer the 2 door, maybe if it's a stripped down work truck.
It's easy to say that's what buyers want when that's all that is on the lot.
Go back to the 90's and look at regular cabs vs the 4 door offerings...no contest.
Jeep would be smart to make a 2 door Gladiator. They have all the tooling.
4-door vehicles outsell their 2-door counterparts 9-to-1. This is the pattern in sales mix whenever there’s been a 4-door and 2-door offered side-by-side, like it was for Honda Civic and Accord. Honda has since killed both 2-door versions.

Wrangler sales are gradually approaching those proportions. When JK first appeared, 4-door sales were 50-50 with 2-door. By the time JK came to the end of its cycle, sales were 25% 2-door/75% 4-door. And the trend has accelerated with JL. Last time I checked, 2-door accounted for less than 15% of total JL sales.

Consumer demand is the biggest driver for these sales patterns. 4-doors simply offer a lot more functionality to the vast majority of buyers.

In Wrangler’s case, FCA’s decisions play a role in driving 2-door sales lower. It hasn’t offered 2-door in several versions —i.e., Moab, North, Recon, Sahara, Sahara Altitude, High Altitude, 4Xe and 392. Despite all the 1941 Easter eggs, FCA continues to treat 2-door like the step child. For instance, you cannot get a tan soft top on most 2-door versions, while you still can in 4-doors. To make matters worse, FCA’s pricing policies place 2-door at a disadvantage; making Wrangler so expensive prompts many buyers to “step up” to the 4-door.

FCA is motivated by greed; it doesn’t give a shit; all it wants is to charge the most money for each sale. But these decisions are pushing sales of 2-door even lower.

PS - Bronco 2-door will sell well during the first 2 years. But I’d be surprised if Ford continues to offer it after its first redesign.

On the list of endangered species
Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a JL truck conversion out there yet? 1624197057327

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Jeep would be smart to make a 2 door Gladiator. They have all the tooling.
Would they....I mean I don't know--not that I'm saying that you're wrong. :)

Wouldn't such a truck, in addition to all the costs of bringing it to market risk taking away from sales of at least some JTs?
Sponsored