Sponsored

Is there a JL truck conversion out there yet?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Before I decided to buy the JL, I was looking for a low mileage JKU with rear body damage so I could do a Mopar J8 conversion. I could ā€˜t find one without a salvage title and didnā€™t want to pay the premium for a nice JLU.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
"If you want a 2 door Gladiator, buy a Wrangler Unlimited." -Mark Allen, head of Jeep design

It's never going to happen because it wouldn't sell.

I don't understand the appeal anyway. I grew up with regular cab trucks and they were fricking miserable.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
"If you want a 2 door Gladiator, buy a Wrangler Unlimited." -Mark Allen, head of Jeep design

It's never going to happen because it wouldn't sell.

I don't understand the appeal anyway. I grew up with regular cab trucks and they were fricking miserable.
You don't like having a slightly longer bed and nowhere to put even a backpack when you have a passenger? šŸ˜†

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
not to nitpick but I said half ton. The 2001 F-150 was the first F-150 with a crew cab. I am not 100% sure I have this right but I think that may have been the first domestic crew cab half ton as well.

I envy those who can make the 2 doors work. I love the look and functionality of them. I think the wrangler market is pretty indicative of the numbers for 2 vs 4 door customers. I don't know of many that would argue against the cool factor of the 2 door but the majority sold are 4 doors.
Iā€™ll nit pick. All the big three made crew Cab pickups from as far back as at least 1960, in 1/2 and 3/4 ton models. A simple search ā€œcrew cab pickups 1960sā€ gives you all youā€™d want. and letā€™s not get hung up on f100 or f150, they are both half ton models.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...

Sponsored

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Iā€™ll nit pick. All the big three made crew Cab pickups from as far back as at least 1960, in 1/2 and 3/4 ton models. A simple search ā€œcrew cab pickups 1960sā€ gives you all youā€™d want. and letā€™s not get hung up on f100 or f150, they are both half ton models.
This isnā€™t a hill I would die on so perhaps I am wrong. I just remember Ford marketing the 2001 as the first half ton crew cab and according to the Ford history, they still tout that.

I think the bigger issue and take away is I want a 2 door and it just wouldnā€™t work in my life.

EugenesAJeep

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I think it was definitely consumers that drove this trend. Keep in mind there weren't 4 door half tons from Ford (for example) until the late 90s. You would also need to consider the trend of owning pickups in general. I would venture to guess the late 90s and early 00s is when the trend really picked up (<---- that worked out well) for the casual pick up owner and that is when 4 doors were also more wide spread. Ford still offered single cab half tons this entire time and you see almost none out there other than fleet vehicles.

I think people just require more from their vehicles in terms of space. I really wish they would make a J6 a reality but I also don't think I can demand too much because even if they did, it wouldn't be feasible for me to own a 2 door. bummer.
I like and bought the 2 door for the look and agility. Perfect for 2 persons. So Iā€™m glad their still out there.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a JL truck conversion out there yet? E04E6FF9-579F-4EF3-8417-A1A0AE9A3D5C

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
This isnā€™t a hill I would die on so perhaps I am wrong. I just remember Ford marketing the 2001 as the first half ton crew cab and according to the Ford history, they still tout that.

I think the bigger issue and take away is I want a 2 door and it just wouldnā€™t work in my life.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a JL truck conversion out there yet? 1624067202673

My great grandfather had these in his construction company fleet when I was a kid in the mid sixtys.

Last edited:

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Because it can lead to a total stranger "judging you" which makes the average person feel "uncomfortable". Most consider it too personal of a question for a stranger to ask. Unless you're a close friend, family or spouse, it's really no one's business.
Honestly, if Jeep had put out a version of the Gladiator with the exact wheelbase of the JLU and a slightly better towing capacity, I'd have bought two... one for a work truck / daily and one as an offroad toy. The JT is just too damn long and ungainly.

I still drool over the J6 concept every time I stumble across it.
that wouldnā€™t be a truck then.

OP
OP

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
A clear majority of buyers want exactly that, if dealer lot inventory and actual vehicle trends on the roadways are representative. I take no pleasure in saying that, but it's how things are. The design and rollout of the Gladiator is not accidental.

Consider also how the JL -- i.e., the historically pure Jeep aesthetic -- is now in the JLU's shadow, and will likely remain that way as long as Stellantis decides to keep the former in production.
An easy claim when 90% of what's only available on the lots are only 4 doors. Let's see with the return of mini trucks(Ford Mavric, whatever Hyundai is doing) if it will change the market. Their still 4 doors without other choices so I doubt it.

I'm sure they would sell more 2 door JT's than JLs but who knows.

I would settle for a kit similar to the JK8, or even the DV8 kit.
What I was kinda hoping for too.
Sponsored