Sponsored

Is there a JL truck conversion out there yet?

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
So I hate 4 door trucks and I'm dying on the inside little by little that I will hopefully within the next week or two be ordering a 4 door jeep(only choice for the diesel so hands are tied). Has someone put out a truck conversion yet for the JL like the JK? A quick google search only shows JKs. Hopefully there's something out there for those like me that want a 2 door jeep truck. Thanks

=Jason-
Sponsored

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Honestly, if Jeep had put out a version of the Gladiator with the exact wheelbase of the JLU and a slightly better towing capacity, I'd have bought two... one for a work truck / daily and one as an offroad toy. The JT is just too damn long and ungainly.

I still drool over the J6 concept every time I stumble across it.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Start with a deep pockets.. I always wanted to do a Brut conversion on a TJ. By the time I was in a financial and time available for it all the kits are long gone.

OP
OP

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
Doubt it will ever happen en mass with the JT available.
Which is what I am afraid of but not everyone wants a 4 door truck that's a mile long.

Honestly, if Jeep had put out a version of the Gladiator with the exact wheelbase of the JLU and a slightly better towing capacity, I'd have bought two... one for a work truck / daily and one as an offroad toy. The JT is just too damn long and ungainly.

I still drool over the J6 concept every time I stumble across it.
100% agree here. I've they came out with the door JT, Id be a day 1 order.

Start with a deep pockets.. I always wanted to do a Brut conversion on a TJ. By the time I was in a financial and time available for it all the kits are long gone.
Actually some of the JK conversion out there are fairly inexpensive. I was hoping someone would do one for the JL. Diesel is a requirement for me and I'm not going through the effort to put one in the JK.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
LOGS
Have you contacted any of the ones on JKs that are doing them yet? Might be a good starting point. There is one on the JT side that has a conversion, I don't remember the screen name.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
not everyone wants a 4 door truck that's a mile long
A clear majority of buyers want exactly that, if dealer lot inventory and actual vehicle trends on the roadways are representative. I take no pleasure in saying that, but it's how things are. The design and rollout of the Gladiator is not accidental.

Consider also how the JL -- i.e., the historically pure Jeep aesthetic -- is now in the JLU's shadow, and will likely remain that way as long as Stellantis decides to keep the former in production.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
A clear majority of buyers want exactly that, if dealer lot inventory and actual vehicle trends on the roadways are representative. I take no pleasure in saying that, but it's how things are. The design and rollout of the Gladiator is not accidental.

Consider also how the JL -- i.e., the historically pure Jeep aesthetic -- is now in the JLU's shadow, and will likely remain that way as long as Stellantis decides to keep the former in production.
I would argue that's not really true.
Manufacturers make the majority 4 door trucks, yes. But they don't even offer the 2 door, maybe if it's a stripped down work truck.
It's easy to say that's what buyers want when that's all that is on the lot.
Go back to the 90's and look at regular cabs vs the 4 door offerings...no contest.
Jeep would be smart to make a 2 door Gladiator. They have all the tooling.

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I would argue that's not really true.
Manufacturers make the majority 4 door trucks, yes. But they don't even offer the 2 door, maybe if it's a stripped down work truck.
It's easy to say that's what buyers want when that's all that is on the lot.
Go back to the 90's and look at regular cabs vs the 4 door offerings...no contest.
Jeep would be smart to make a 2 door Gladiator. They have all the tooling.
I think it was definitely consumers that drove this trend. Keep in mind there weren't 4 door half tons from Ford (for example) until the late 90s. You would also need to consider the trend of owning pickups in general. I would venture to guess the late 90s and early 00s is when the trend really picked up (<---- that worked out well) for the casual pick up owner and that is when 4 doors were also more wide spread. Ford still offered single cab half tons this entire time and you see almost none out there other than fleet vehicles.

I think people just require more from their vehicles in terms of space. I really wish they would make a J6 a reality but I also don't think I can demand too much because even if they did, it wouldn't be feasible for me to own a 2 door. bummer.

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
I am so new here that I don't even have a Jeep.
I'm trying to decide between a Wrangler, a Gladiator, or a super cab F-350.
What would punch all the buttons for me is a Gladiator that's an extended cab rather than a two-door, a wheelbase that is maybe a compromise between the current Gladiator and the current Wrangler four-door. As bonus it would be cool if it didn't have such a long overhang on the rear. In all likelihood, I'll take the bed off and use some type of tray system. I'm not above modifying a brand new anything, or having it done because my visionary skills far outpace my booger welding skills.

And for craps sake it would be nice if they could bump the GVWR.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I think it was definitely consumers that drove this trend. Keep in mind there weren't 4 door half tons from Ford (for example) until the late 90s. You would also need to consider the trend of owning pickups in general. I would venture to guess the late 90s and early 00s is when the trend really picked up (<---- that worked out well) for the casual pick up owner and that is when 4 doors were also more wide spread. Ford still offered single cab half tons this entire time and you see almost none out there other than fleet vehicles.

I think people just require more from their vehicles in terms of space. I really wish they would make a J6 a reality but I also don't think I can demand too much because even if they did, it wouldn't be feasible for me to own a 2 door. bummer.
Crew cabs have been around since the 60's. The majority are driven around with empty back seats.
I have a 2 door JL, a wife and 2 kids, pets, I make it work. I understand not everyone can.
If they made regular cab Lariats, King Ranch, Raptors, what have you, they would sell.
The fact is, they don't make them.

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Crew cabs have been around since the 60's. The majority are driven around with empty back seats.
I have a 2 door JL, a wife and 2 kids, pets, I make it work. I understand not everyone can.
If they made regular cab Lariats, King Ranch, Raptors, what have you, they would sell.
The fact is, they don't make them.
not to nitpick but I said half ton. The 2001 F-150 was the first F-150 with a crew cab. I am not 100% sure I have this right but I think that may have been the first domestic crew cab half ton as well.

I envy those who can make the 2 doors work. I love the look and functionality of them. I think the wrangler market is pretty indicative of the numbers for 2 vs 4 door customers. I don't know of many that would argue against the cool factor of the 2 door but the majority sold are 4 doors.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Last edited: