Sponsored

Is the Wrangler JL Reliable enough for a 10k road-trip?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Only one problem with that. When your main battery fails you'll have no warning and the electronics will just have an aneurism one day.

No, thank you. Combining a Jeep with Murphy's Law could turn into a life threatening situation.

I'd say I benefit tremendously from ESS and it has nothing to do with gas. It's all about ensuring I can operate the electronics that operate the Jeep and have a long warning before that fails. So I don't get stuck with a 100 mile walk in the desert with no cell service.
Jeep designers know what they're doing.
All you have to do is buy a voltmeter... Instead of trying to guess whats going on from the ESS system...

There are proper ways to monitor car batteries.

Running with the main and the aux bypassed is like running a normal car with one battery. Batteries dont just randomly die. You can tell a weak battery if you check it. Even a cheap HF load tester will tell you when a battery is about to hit the dust.

What happens with these JLs is that the dual battery system actually hides issues and then they you have things like electronics going haywire happen. I had a main battery very weak and I was clueless because the aux was keeping the jeep alive. When I tested both batteries I realized my main was about to go.
Sponsored

dumpsterRatz

First Name
Dumpster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
its amazing how many people baby their jeeps, not that you do ,or that there's anything wrong with that, but I abuse my jeep quite extensively and can tell you this jl series is pretty rock solid especially with the pentastar. yes your JL will be more than fine. I actually enjoy torturing my jeep and have yet to have anything break despite the cruel way I treat it.

your jeep is practically new at 15k miles. I have pushed my JLU in 105-110 degree heat in the southwest with the air-condition on full blast non stop for 6-8 hour clips over and over and the coolant temp barely even rises above where it is on a cool day. This includes constantly dropping down to 3rd and 4th gear and going WOT to maintain a consistent 85 mph on cruise control up and down hills on the I15 and other interstates. And then refueling without turning the engine off (yes, not safe) and continuing on.

And at the end of 8 hours of torture in such a way she still idles exactly the same. The v6 you have is incredibly robust. The original pentastars were plenty reliable when introduced in the JK and they've only gotten more refined and more reliable since then.

This JLU has been one of the most reliable, rugged vehicles I have ever owned. I wouldn't even worry the tiniest tiniest bit that such a trip would be a problem. I am not exactly sure how 40 in tires effect the vehicle on a long road trip, but your engine and the other auxiliary systems on your jeep are all going to be fine.

Monitor the coolant, tire psi and oil temps periodically from the cluster that's it.

OP
OP
Firetrak

Firetrak

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
In addition to the usual checking & topping off of all fluids, change the oil before you go and check batteries. If you still have the original batteries they've just entered the early end of the timeframe in which they're expected to fail.

An easy way to monitor batteries is if ESS doesn't want to work. Don't ignore that. It's the first thing to go with bad batteries and if that happens you have 2-3 months before the batteries fail enough to leave you stranded. When replacing batteries, always replace Main and Aux at the same time or the old battery will reduce the lifespan of the new battery.
I have me ESS permanently off. But yeah I plan to replace both anyway with better aftermarket ones.

OP
OP
Firetrak

Firetrak

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
It certainly is I have a 2020 Sahara I have done this trip every year since the boarders opened. Enjoy the ride awesome country. I drive from Canada, last February did 11,000 mile round trip a smile on every mile and on my way again via Boston as we speak.
That’s awesome. Where are you starting from and finishing at?

OP
OP
Firetrak

Firetrak

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
its amazing how many people baby their jeeps, not that you do ,or that there's anything wrong with that, but I abuse my jeep quite extensively and can tell you this jl series is pretty rock solid especially with the pentastar. yes your JL will be more than fine. I actually enjoy torturing my jeep and have yet to have anything break despite the cruel way I treat it.

your jeep is practically new at 15k miles. I have pushed my JLU in 105-110 degree heat in the southwest with the air-condition on full blast non stop for 6-8 hour clips over and over and the coolant temp barely even rises above where it is on a cool day. This includes constantly dropping down to 3rd and 4th gear and going WOT to maintain a consistent 85 mph on cruise control up and down hills on the I15 and other interstates. And then refueling without turning the engine off (yes, not safe) and continuing on.

And at the end of 8 hours of torture in such a way she still idles exactly the same. The v6 you have is incredibly robust. The original pentastars were plenty reliable when introduced in the JK and they've only gotten more refined and more reliable since then.

This JLU has been one of the most reliable, rugged vehicles I have ever owned. I wouldn't even worry the tiniest tiniest bit that such a trip would be a problem. I am not exactly sure how 40 in tires effect the vehicle on a long road trip, but your engine and the other auxiliary systems on your jeep are all going to be fine.

Monitor the coolant, tire psi and oil temps periodically from the cluster that's it.
Thanks for this. I do actually plan to replace and reduce the tires to 37s. Mostly to reduce weight on the axles.

Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Just go. If something happens, it will make for a good story to tell your grandkids. If nothing happens, you can still tell a great story. You can even use the obligatory phrase, "Back in my day, Jeeps....(add your text here)".

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You should be fine. I did, a 26,000+ mile wheeling trip last year. Doing about 20,000 miles this year. Several 6,000 mile trips in previous years . This includes hard off roading, not just driving on the

Change the oil as you go. I change my oil in Walmart parking lots. Go in buy the oil and filter and a turkey roasting pan. Drop the oil into the roasting pan, change the filter, put the oil plug back in, fill with new oil, put old oil back into the now empty oil jug and turn the oil back into the Walmart auto service center for recycling. Toss the turkey roasting pan and filter.

The roasting pans are cheap.

Walmart turkey roasting pan

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
3 weeks of 500 mile days gets a little old.
don't push the journey, it's where most of the fun is. there's so much between destinations that gets driven past because it isn't within 10 miles of the Loves at the exit ramp.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
If I were going on such a long journey, I'd also get my tires balanced too before I left if they haven't been recently. Also a good time to check for nails and stuff in your tires while they're doing it. Nothing worse than an annoying little shimmy for 10,000 miles due to an out of balance tire...

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Planning on driving from Florida to Tuktoyaktuk Canada and back within 3 weeks.

Its 5k each way. I have a 2020 3.6 Rubicon 4door with 15k miles on it.

Anything I should consider doing this trip. Currently it’s got a 3.5” lift with 40s and regeared so I get about 20mpg on the highway.
Question is. Is the Jeep reliable enough for such a journey?
My 19 JLUR has a 4.5" Gamechanger and 40x13.5's, and gave zero fuss on a 5k mile trip from NY to Tennessee and back. We drove around most of the state, did some rock crawling in Windrock Park, and even veered into western South Carolina for a couple days. The Jeep was loaded up with my wife and myself, 3.5 weeks worth of luggage, a medium sized cooler, rigging equipment, and an essentials tool box. My brother-in-law lives down in Knoxville, and he ended up riding back to NY with us, so him and his luggage had the Jeep stuffed and running that much heavier for the return trip.

I did an oil change and tire rotation right before, and than shortly after getting back. I'd suggest you bring what's needed to do the same at the mid point of your trip.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is the Wrangler JL Reliable enough for a 10k road-trip? 20221119_112300

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I don't know if anybody mentioned this. My "21 2.0 had some loose parts on the coolant system (that's a known issue) come loose while I was driving and had to have it towed to the dealer after overheating. I had 11K miles on it and owned it for a year.

There are bolts that weren't torqued enough in the factory on *some* Wranglers.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
After doing a routine service, making sure brakes and tires are up to snuff and maybe new batteries if mine were 3 years or more, I would not hesitate to jump in mine eith 44K miles on it.

You're going on an adventure. Something might happen to the Jeep but I wouldn't let that stop me. Its all oart if the adventure. Just be somewhat prepared (have a scan tool if a code pops up, some spare fluids, basic tools, tire pump, maybe a sat phone or Spot/InReach since cell coverage is limited, basic survival gear like blankets, food, water, first aid) and go for it.

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
That’s awesome. Where are you starting from and finishing at?
I live in Ontario and we usually go and stop and visit with family and friends on the way down. We stay in Winter Gardens, Orlando, St Augustine, Port Charlotte the keys. We do a lot is day trips also and the wrangle is up to the task. Mine turned 3 January 2 and right now has 65,000 miles on the clock, oil change every 5,000 miles. I actually picked mine up January 2, 2020 and left for Florida January 5th. Enjoy the ride it’s awesome I must mention we have met a lot of great people on our trips and actually attended lot of Jeep events in Florida and other states it’s a Jeep thing enjoy your trip. 👍🏻

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Planning on driving from Florida to Tuktoyaktuk Canada and back within 3 weeks.

Its 5k each way. I have a 2020 3.6 Rubicon 4door with 15k miles on it.

Anything I should consider doing this trip. Currently it’s got a 3.5” lift with 40s and regeared so I get about 20mpg on the highway.
Question is. Is the Jeep reliable enough for such a journey?
I hope it is a grammar error and that you are not planning on leaving in three weeks. If you are…

Are you aware of what the weather conditions are like in late February? Not saying to not go, but if you are not from a state that deals with cold weather you may need to do things that you have not prepared for.

Do you have satellite communication device like a Garmin Inreach or Mini Inreach or the new Iphone 14? There will be places that you can easily be snowed in for weeks, or be on the way to the next town and get enough snow that you can’t tell where the road is. Are you prepared for -40 degrees weather?

If you are expecting to get 20 mpg like you do in warm, flat Florida, you better think again. You better plan for 13 mpg at best in the colder states and Canada. Do you have a way to carry spare fuel? Spare fuel would not be a concern in July and August, but it could save your life if you get stranded and can’t see where the road goes do to snow.

Do you have proper cold weather clothing? When the weather is below zero, a pair of $15 gloves, or a $100 coat from Walmart is not going to cut it. I never thought I would spend $275 on a pair of gloves until I snowmobiled in -20 degree weather in the UP of Michigan.

There is a bunch of stuff that you need to prepare for just because of the weather. Like are you prepared for your trip to run weeks over due to weather? Have you budgeted double what your fuel budget is? There are times people in the far north don’t turn their vehicles off for days and weeks. Note many people block off their radiators with plywood or cardboard because the vehicle can not produce sufficient heat otherwise. Are you prepared for 16+hour or darkness each day?

If it is a grammar error and you plan on doing the trip in the summer, you may run into us as we are leaving mid June to do Tuktoyaktuk Canada and Alaska. We will spend about two to three months to do the trip. Three weeks is not much for time. On paper it is doable, but in reality, you are going to be doing many back to back 16 hour days in the Jeep. The speed limits in Canada are low, think 50 mph and that does not take into consideration any road construction that can cost you hours in delays. If you are thinking you’re just going to drive along at 70 mph there and back….. It is not going to happen. Just because it is called a highway does not mean it is a highway like what we think. You can not make great time driving 1000+ miles on dirt roads.

I hope all the typing I did was for nothing and that no matter what, you have a great time and an adventure of a life time.
Sponsored