Sponsored

Is the Wrangler JL Reliable enough for a 10k road-trip?

Firetrak

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Planning on driving from Florida to Tuktoyaktuk Canada and back within 3 weeks.

Its 5k each way. I have a 2020 3.6 Rubicon 4door with 15k miles on it.

Anything I should consider doing this trip. Currently it’s got a 3.5” lift with 40s and regeared so I get about 20mpg on the highway.
Question is. Is the Jeep reliable enough for such a journey?
Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Let me know what you find out. I have a big road trip scheduled in June... :) Otherwise, get an oil change before you go...

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Did a 9K -ish roundtrip and ran the Rubicon Trail at the halfway point last year without a hint of a problem.

Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
If it's driving fine now and can do 2 or more hours of constant driving, you'll be okay. I did 30 hours of driving at about 5 hr intervals with 30 min- 1 hour gas breaks. I would do some pre-trip maintenance though. Grease everything thats greaseable, make sure all bolts are torqued properly, check all tires, lug nuts, and fluids. (quick checks at stops too) And as mentioned, change the oil before heading out.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
In addition to the usual checking & topping off of all fluids, change the oil before you go and check batteries. If you still have the original batteries they've just entered the early end of the timeframe in which they're expected to fail.

An easy way to monitor batteries is if ESS doesn't want to work. Don't ignore that. It's the first thing to go with bad batteries and if that happens you have 2-3 months before the batteries fail enough to leave you stranded. When replacing batteries, always replace Main and Aux at the same time or the old battery will reduce the lifespan of the new battery.

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Planning on driving from Florida to Tuktoyaktuk Canada and back within 3 weeks.

Its 5k each way. I have a 2020 3.6 Rubicon 4door with 15k miles on it.

Anything I should consider doing this trip. Currently it’s got a 3.5” lift with 40s and regeared so I get about 20mpg on the highway.
Question is. Is the Jeep reliable enough for such a journey?
It certainly is I have a 2020 Sahara I have done this trip every year since the boarders opened. Enjoy the ride awesome country. I drive from Canada, last February did 11,000 mile round trip a smile on every mile and on my way again via Boston as we speak.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
In addition to the usual checking & topping off of all fluids, change the oil before you go and check batteries. If you still have the original batteries they've just entered the early end of the timeframe in which they're expected to fail.

An easy way to monitor batteries is if ESS doesn't want to work. Don't ignore that. It's the first thing to go with bad batteries and if that happens you have 2-3 months before the batteries fail enough to leave you stranded. When replacing batteries, always replace Main and Aux at the same time or the old battery will reduce the lifespan of the new battery.
An easy way to monitor batteries is if ESS doesn't want to work.
Exactly.

When replacing batteries, always replace Main and Aux at the same time or the old battery will reduce the lifespan of the new battery.

Or better yet, pull the F42 and aux ground. If you benefit from ESS, you're driving the wrong rig.

My wife charges me a stupid tax every time I enable the ESS. In Hawaii, I need to turn the heat up on the drivers side. To get to some rides, I'll test it 3 or 4 times each direction. I figure if the voltage is good and ESS works 3+ times, it's probably OK.

I wouldn't think twice about a 10K trip on paved roads. You're always within easy tow truck help. It's deep into the trails where no tow truck can make it that I worry about.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
We did a 8100km road trip last year and planning another 7000km trip this year.
Maintenance is key, check your vehicle and enjoy the drive.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Or better yet, pull the F42 and aux ground. If you benefit from ESS, you're driving the wrong rig.
Only one problem with that. When your main battery fails you'll have no warning and the electronics will just have an aneurism one day.

No, thank you. Combining a Jeep with Murphy's Law could turn into a life threatening situation.

I'd say I benefit tremendously from ESS and it has nothing to do with gas. It's all about ensuring I can operate the electronics that operate the Jeep and have a long warning before that fails. So I don't get stuck with a 100 mile walk in the desert with no cell service.
Jeep designers know what they're doing.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

All it takes to monitor the batteries is a voltmeter.

Disconnect the aux negative post from the main battery negative terminal. Now you can read the volts for each battery.

Id get both batteries load tested before the trip. Make sure theyre in good condition. Then Id leave the aux negative disconnected and travel with just the main.

With just the main connected you can monitor the voltage and what the alternator is doing from the jeep, so you can see if the battery is holding a good charge easily.

Your Aux battery is now a backup battery. Meaning if your main dies, you can plug the aux back and start the jeep.
Sponsored