Sponsored

Is the U-connect with Nav a "must have" for most buyers?

Papa5

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
A little late to the party..but, if FCA is anything like Ford, they will want to charge a fee to update the nav system. Ford wants $149.00 to update on our 2017 Explorer. Google wants $0.
Sponsored

Amillio16

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jk unlimited
For me, I would make sure you get the alpine but the 7 inch screen is enough for me. I could care less about navigation. Like an above poster said I wonder if they would make you pay for map upgrades. Another, previous post said it was only a 600 dollar difference between just getting alpine and getting alpine and the navigation so is it worth that to you. Personally I would not want to buy a Jeep without the alpine system or update radio. I’ve heard the stock ones are bad. I’ve had no problem with my alpine even when topless.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Had a 2018 with Alpine and Nav. Sound was okay, never used Nav. Waiting on my 2021 JLUR, got the 7” no alpine and no Nav. Going to do speaker upgrades for around $400 and save all that cash.

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I'm building out a 2021 Rubi on line and was wondering if the U-connect with Nav is worth it or do must folks use their phones for nav. I don't use nav but was thinking about getting it for the possible added value when I sell or trade in later.
If I had to do it again, I would not get the uconnect. Uconnect is the most unreliable, unpredictable, and worst radio/nav equipment I have ever used in any vehicles I had. Apps appear and disapear randomly, the navigation is simply stupid: it does not recognize addresses that are easily found on google maps, it does not understand English, numbers have to be spelled out to make sure it gets them, lines on backview camera appear and disappear at random, speakers work then don't work then work again... and may other issues. It's just the stupidest piece of electronic I have ever seen installed in a vehicle.

If I had to do it again, I would get the basic radio install and then go and get an aftermarket radio with all the bells and whistles---I would have been way better off.

Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Mines been flawless since day one. Navigation is not as good as Google maps but what is. Big screen is great with Car Play.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Debated this same thing when placing my order last week....went back and forth on it.

Basically, I don't care at all about the NAV and liked the idea of saving a few bucks.

However, as I kept looking at pictures, videos and a couple other Jeeps on the lot, I just knew I'd have wound up having screen envy if I didn't get the 8.4. It's just kind of additional "Wow" factor or something and I've never had a screen that big in a vehicle. I also knew I wanted the Alpine upgrade regardless of which screen size I got so it really wasn't that much more to just get the 8.4 screen.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I'm building out a 2021 Rubi on line and was wondering if the U-connect with Nav is worth it or do must folks use their phones for nav. I don't use nav but was thinking about getting it for the possible added value when I sell or trade in later.

The 8.4 was a must have for me. I wouldn't have bought a Wrangler without it. Mine has worked great and I've had no issues. ORPs and all work great. I've used the Nav a few times and it works great but I usually use my phone just out of habit. The little extra for the the Alpine upgraded audio as part of the 8.4 package was worth it too.

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
Don't need built-in Nav. That's what my phone is for.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
The Nav is fine. It’s nice to have for use in crappy cellular coverage areas when you’re driving around and didn’t bother downloading maps. Also, everything else about the 8.4 Uconnect is useful. Personally, I wish FCA had done away with buttons and knobs and went straight to a bigger screen with UI controls for the tuner, volume, radio power, AC/Heat setting, fan speed, heated wheel and seat, ESS, ESC, Park sensors, etc.

Sponsored

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I think the standard 7" system in the Rubi is fine, google maps is spot on using carplay. No need for the nav offered save your $$ or redirect to another option

Lgkaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Honestly, it's worth getting the 8.4 U-Connect.
Consumer Reports recently did an article/review on infotainment systems and FCA's U-Connect got pretty high marks from users.

From article:
"Cars from luxury brands and those with the latest technology are often the most difficult to use,” says Jake Fisher, senior director of auto testing for Consumer Reports.

By contrast, the systems in certain less expensive vehicles, including those made by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), Ford, and General Motors, earned some of the highest marks in our survey. Fisher says that’s largely because they’re simple to understand and operate."

The bigger screen makes Apple Car Play/Android Auto great to use. The U-Connect sat-navigation has been great when we're out on the trail w/o cellular connection for Google Maps, etc. It's much clunkier to enter addresses but will get you out of a bind in remote areas.

I haven't experienced any issues w/U-Connect. In fact, I'm always surprised at how fast/smooth and simple the user interface is.
Sponsored