Sponsored

Is the U-connect with Nav a "must have" for most buyers?

rkan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 VW GTI Autobahn
Kinda like wanting a bunch of computer crap in a Jeep that is constantly beeping and chiming warnings and messages at you while you pull on the hand strap to adjust your manual seat as the rain water leaks out of the door gutter to soak you and the defroster Is able to do it’s manic business on 1/3 of the window.

But wow, I have 8.4” glistening goodness that I never use but could. We need more tech! Yeah!
I totally know what you mean! I mean all these pansies who dont want to manually advance their spark, or know how to tension the chain on the final drive. I bet they dont know the which lever is the velocitator... and which the deceleratrix. Heck, give me a good hand crank starter and I'm good!

;-)
Sponsored

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
Don't find the The 8.4 nav screen of any value, limited amount of way points, between Google maps, Apple Car Play with GAIA maps, Garmin NUVI and my Garmin InReach, way more valuable for finding city stuff and off road trails. Don’t know why I mention city stuff, use mainly for off road.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I rarely take the interstate, but before I hit that on ramp, I always check the real-time traffic conditions on the NAV map. It’ll show massive traffic backups from wrecks or construction-related delays.
The directional navigation is great on long trips, showing you points of interest, how far to the next exit, pit stop, etc.
It’s more difficult to use than a phone, but I find it fairly useful.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Kinda like wanting a bunch of computer crap in a Jeep that is constantly beeping and chiming warnings and messages at you while you pull on the hand strap to adjust your manual seat as the rain water leaks out of the door gutter to soak you and the defroster Is able to do it’s manic business on 1/3 of the window.

But wow, I have 8.4” glistening goodness that I never use but could. We need more tech! Yeah!
Most people are smart enough to use it for its intended use. Most people.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I'm building out a 2021 Rubi on line and was wondering if the U-connect with Nav is worth it or do must folks use their phones for nav. I don't use nav but was thinking about getting it for the possible added value when I sell or trade in later.
IMO the Nav doesn't do much, except for those rare occassions you're outside cell coverage. Of course this may be when you need Nav the most. However 2 things that come packaged with the Nav are the upgraded sound system (which is super useful, especially if you decide to drive topless a lot) and the larger screen (which is also really useful when you are using CarPlay or Android Auto). So I def recommend upgrading to the 8.4 screen and better sound system, which I think automatically includes Nav.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Ha! You should try owning a Toyota. My Tacoma beeped and chimed so much it was maddening! Half the time I couldn’t even tell what it was trying to tell me.

On several occasions I simply walked away from the truck in total frustration knowing that it would eventually shut up. It always did.

If I had a gun I would have put a bullet through that truck.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Ha! You should try owning a Toyota. My Tacoma beeped and chimed so much it was maddening! Half the time I couldn’t even tell what it was trying to tell me.

On several occasions I simply walked away from the truck in total frustration knowing that it would eventually shut up. It always did.

If I had a gun I would have put a bullet through that truck.
Your Toyota sounds like my buddy and his wife…lol.

Side note…I just noticed you own a 124 Abarth? How do you like it? Any problems and would you recommend one? I noticed some nice discounts on them.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Your Toyota sounds like my buddy and his wife…lol.

Side note…I just noticed you own a 124 Abarth? How do you like it? Any problems and would you recommend one? I noticed some nice discounts on them.
I love the little thing! I’ve had it for 1.5 years. It has 8,000 miles now. The water pump was replaced under warranty at 4,000 miles. Haven’t had any other issues.

The assembly quality is typical Mazda, which is VERY good; the styling and the sound are pure Italian which are awesome. I get compliments every time I drive it. The handling is a mix of Miata and Fiat, which results in a fine balance between track car and daily comfort. The car weighs only 2,300 lbs, which is unheard of these days; it handles amazingly. It isn’t slow, but I wish it had a little more power. The good thing is you can have a lot of fun even at 30 MPH. And I average 30 MPG without even trying. The car comes with a Mazda infotainment, which pales next to Uconnect, but you won’t even care. The manual top is a marvel of easy-to-use ingenuity.

The trunk is usable. If you are under 6’1”, you will fit relatively comfortably.

I strongly recommend it!

Jeep Wrangler JL Is the U-connect with Nav a "must have" for most buyers? 1599668577802

Jeep Wrangler JL Is the U-connect with Nav a "must have" for most buyers? 1599668776445

Jeep Wrangler JL Is the U-connect with Nav a "must have" for most buyers? 1599668696516

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I love the little thing! I’ve had it for 1.5 years. It has 8,000 miles now. The water pump was replaced under warranty at 4,000 miles. Haven’t had any other issues.

The assembly quality is typical Mazda, which is VERY good; the styling and the sound are pure Italian which are awesome. I get compliments every time I drive it. The handling is a mix of Miata and Fiat, which results in a fine balance between track car and daily comfort. The car weighs only 2,300 lbs, which is unheard of these days; it handles amazingly. It isn’t slow, but I wish it had a little more power. The good thing is you can have a lot of fun even at 30 MPH. And I average 30 MPG without even trying. The car comes with a Mazda infotainment, which pales next to Uconnect, but you won’t even care. The manual top is a marvel of easy-to-use ingenuity.

The trunk is usable. If you are under 6’1”, you will fit relatively comfortably.

I strongly recommend it!

Jeep Wrangler JL Is the U-connect with Nav a "must have" for most buyers? 1599668696516

I've been keeping my eye out for one of these. While the new Miata is awesome, I prefer the Fiat looks. The Fiat almost seems more in line with previous Miatas than the current Miata. I really want one of these with an electric drive train, either from the factory or converted, so that I can get an HOV plate before they run out.

DbqDude

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 GC High Altitude Hemi
The 8.4 with Nav and Alpine is HD and sounds much better than the standard non HD 8.4 radio.

Sponsored

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara

I hear ya. Every car manufacturer goes through a phase where they have to choose between upselling their existing customer base or tapping into a new market.

The R52 Pathfinder was perfect. It had a V8, 7500 lb. towing capacity, and it was rugged. Looked and drove like a truck. Then one day Nissan completely redesigned the Pathfinder and turned it into a unibody minivan wannabe that looked like a dog dragging its ass. Overnight it did a Bruce Jenner and turned from a manly capable SUV into a soulless, blend-into-the-crowd mall crawler. And sales doubled! I was heartbroken.

FCA figured out that there was an entire population willing to spend $55K to feel a part of the Wrangler culture but unwilling to give up creature comforts like seat warmers and a bangin' infotainment experience. Guess what happened to Wrangler sales when FCA loaded it full of tech. It became the best selling vehicle in the country.

And I'm with you on the dings and boops. Just bought a new Highlander that's even worse. There are a lot of dumb people walking around because maybe not everybody should be saved from rear ending a dump truck at 70 mph.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I hear ya. Every car manufacturer goes through a phase where they have to choose between upselling their existing customer base or tapping into a new market.

The R52 Pathfinder was perfect. It had a V8, 7500 lb. towing capacity, and it was rugged. Looked and drove like a truck. Then one day Nissan completely redesigned the Pathfinder and turned it into a unibody minivan wannabe that looked like a dog dragging its ass. Overnight it did a Bruce Jenner and turned from a manly capable SUV into a soulless, blend-into-the-crowd mall crawler. And sales doubled! I was heartbroken.

FCA figured out that there was an entire population willing to spend $55K to feel a part of the Wrangler culture but unwilling to give up creature comforts like seat warmers and a bangin' infotainment experience. Guess what happened to Wrangler sales when FCA loaded it full of tech. It became the best selling vehicle in the country.

And I'm with you on the dings and boops. Just bought a new Highlander that's even worse. There are a lot of dumb people walking around because maybe not everybody should be saved from rear ending a dump truck at 70 mph.
my “auto brake/accident avoidance” thingie slammed on the brake when I was in my highrise parking garage several times For no reason other than it was confused. I turned it off.

my “blind spot detection thingie” routinely chimes at me off road to tell me it’s not working. No Sh*t? Really? At the end of the day I clean the sensors and the tech gods are happy.

my tire pressure gauge tells me my tire pressure is too low right after I deflate them for off-roading. Gee, thanks.

one day, I guess, a bunch of 4 year olds will drive and they will love it when their driver seat tells them that they weigh 175 pounds and only gained 3 pounds in the last month. And, of course, this “health feature” won’t be able to be turned off. Hopefully, I’ll be dead by then.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
one day, I guess, a bunch of 4 year olds will drive and they will love it when their driver seat tells them that they weigh 175 pounds and only gained 3 pounds in the last month. And, of course, this “health feature” won’t be able to be turned off. Hopefully, I’ll be dead by then.
The way things are going, I wonder if studying science will be illegal by then and people will be driving something akin to a model T lol.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

I strongly recommend it!

1599668577802.jpeg

1599668776445.jpeg

1599668696516.jpeg
Beautiful car! You don't see many if at all around Chicago. I actually just saw my first one in the wild this morning. Must be a sign because I have been considering a Abarth. lol. After considering a Miata. I have been throwing around the idea of buying a 124 Abarth for a month or so. I drove a few Miata and Abarths back to back a few weeks ago. There's some lag but torque from the Fiat is nice for daily driving. Much better discounts on the Fiat. I wonder if it's because people are scared of the Fix It Again Tony syndrome associated with the FIAT brand in America? Or if people are worried FIAt will pull out of the American market? Im going to go try the Abarth again soon. Maybe pick one up for a good discount since convertible season is ending here in the midwest.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful car! You don't see many if at all around Chicago. I actually just saw my first one in the wild this morning. Must be a sign because I have been considering a Abarth. lol. After considering a Miata. I have been throwing around the idea of buying a 124 Abarth for a month or so. I drove a few Miata and Abarths back to back a few weeks ago. There's some lag but torque from the Fiat is nice for daily driving. Much better discounts on the Fiat. I wonder if it's because people are scared of the Fix It Again Tony syndrome associated with the FIAT brand in America? Or if people are worried FIAt will pull out of the American market? Im going to go try the Abarth again soon. Maybe pick one up for a good discount since convertible season is ending here in the midwest.
Miata has been around for 30+ years; no one knows what a Fiat 124 Spider is. This is both a blessing and a curse: while everyone knows Miata, many still think of it as a “chick car;” Spider doesn’t have that stigma.

I too test drove the Miata and the Spider back then. The Fiat won in styling, ride/handling balance and exhaust sound. I found the Mazda suspension a bit stiff. Back then the Fiat had the edge in power. This year Mazda introduced an optional naturally aspirated 2.0 that gives it a little more power than the Fiat. But the turbo makes the Fiat motor more customizable.

The Fiat has a slightly larger trunk, more sound deadening (thicker glass and extra top insulation) and a better warranty: 4 years bumper to bumper. The Abarth version automatically gets you a rear LSD, too. Miata didn’t offer a rear LSD until this year; it is now an option. Mazda has a better dealer network.

The Fiat uses the prior Miata’s manual transmission, which is slick and bulletproof. I’ve read that the new transmission Mazda introduced for this Miata has been problematic.
Sponsored