Sponsored

Is the U-connect with Nav a "must have" for most buyers?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I honestly dont see the point in spending extra money for a mediocre navigation system when google maps is free. Yeah you have to download maps, but it takes no time to do so.

In terms of the 8'' screen, thats my type.
Sponsored

morph860

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe's (Rubicon X and Grand Cherokee Anniv.)
I like the 8.4” screen and system, but I don’t ever use the NAV in it. Always use Waze or Apple Maps through CarPlay.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ok, there are two ways to look at this:

1. Resale value: Looking at that carvana appraisal thread, and from a little bit of anecdotal experience myself, if you buy a Jeep with $10k in options, 5 years down the road it won't really be worth more than ~$2k above what a base model was. Eg, a Rubicon with nothing will be worth maybe $2000 less than a fully loaded one.

2. The radios themselves. I suggest reading around here, because despite a few people having very valid complaints about the 8.4", there is a mountain of complaints about the 5". If you go with the base model 5" radio, I would keep some cash handy to replace it with an aftermarket unit.

In terms of enjoyment, I do recommend the upgraded audio and 8.4" radio, unless you have plans to replace the speakers with something better. On a scale of 1-10, the upgraded system is at least a solid 7.

I also hate not having the nav unit map available when I'm in an area I'm unfamiliar with.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Unfortunately, aftermarket companies haven't really come up with head units that are better than the UConnect. They've got superior audio output, sure, but I have yet to see a single 8.4 replacement to this day with a UI that doesn't look like it was designed by an 8-year old. This is one reason Android Auto and Apple Carplay are so popular.
These days, with single/double DIN radios becoming super uncommon, I think the demand for aftermarket radios is super low. I'm not sure they put much money into the software on them.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Pioneer-Corporation-Salaries-E3537.htm
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Alpine-Electronics-of-America-Salaries-E21668.htm

Hmm, Alpine isn't that bad. Although you can make more money for those kinda jobs in SoCal.

Really, I don't mind if the UI looks a little goofy, as long as it's straightforward and doesn't lag. The UI Sony uses these days is super clean and it's also very simple.

Rs4rocks

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4m40i
I've had my 2020 Rubicon for 2 months with the 8.4. I couldn't image using the smaller screen. Worth it to me. For off-road, we use and mounted iPad and GAIA. Coming from a BMW I found the 8.4 interface straight forward and user friendly. I highly recommend going with the 8.4.

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
For off-road, we use and mounted iPad and GAIA. .
Hi Rob, I'm curious as to why you don't ditch the IPad and run Gaia on the 8.4 screen via your IPhone and CarPlay?

Later,
Johnny

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I like the 8.4. I don’t use the Nav. Worthless. I use CarPlay And Apple Maps, google maps, or Gaia.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Have the standard 7" screen that comes with the JLUR and have zero complaints, and always use my phone for nav. Don't mind having to download maps beforehand so that wouldn't have been a big selling point for me.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I’m evidently an outlier but have no regrets on the base 5” setup. I don’t want “upgraded sound” - I know what good sound is and I’m not going to look for it or find it in a Wrangler. Or any vehicle for that matter. I use the under floor space that would house a sub for storing safety/recovery gear.

I don’t care for Apple play, my phone connects to the base unit and does exactly what I want/need - I can make calls hands-free and music will stream. That’s it - I don’t want any other app integration.

As for navigation, Gaia or Google maps on my phone is fine if I need it. I still remember what a Thomas Guide is though, and like to try and keep track of where I am without a device.

But it depends on what a person wants to be doing while they are in their vehicle. It is apparent that many place a high value on having a big touch screen and a better audio system. I have multiple comms radios that usually are on - that is enough of a distraction for me. One goal of the JL is to get away from things and that includes apps on my phone. But as above, ymmv.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
No problems with mine. The larger screen is nice. I'd do it again.

Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
2 is one and one is none. If your phone goes down yr screwed. At least the nav will be there ... with a real satnav chip. Ive used it many times when traveling without cell service. Im not always thinking “ oh let me
Download the offline map of the area ill be”. Im not sure what the cost difference is but i can remember being glad i got that option a couple of times. But yes its true the graphics etc are very windows XP....

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I would settle for the 7 inch screen which gives you the option to purchase the 8.4 at a later date if needed. But at least you have the GPS antenna mounted with the 7"

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
My job is researching why people buy what they buy and I can tell you technology is huge among car buyers. Half of our focus group respondents each year rate technology higher than reliability.

You know the saying “kitchens and bathrooms sell a house?” Mileage and technology are the kitchen and bathroom of a used car.

When car buyers have to choose between two cars, the car with the higher level of technology usually wins (given the mileage is similar — more than trim level and even color.

And navigation is a funny thing. People want it even though they have no intention of using it. Cars with navigation have a higher perceived value.

So upgrading the infotainment system, in my opinion, is a good move.

And if you’re debating it, I’d bet you’ll wish you had upgraded it if you don’t. I got the big screen and the only issues I have are with Car Play, which is an Apple thing.

buymenow00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara Altitude
So I had read and seen reviews that said don't get the 8.4" and the premium audio cuz - not worth it! I placed my order with the dealer, and as soon as I came home started second guessing myself. The very next day, I called the dealer and told them that I wanted to change my order to add the Premium Audio option. Sounds like a simple process right, but it took a full week to confirm that the change was made! I don't think anybody nowadays uses car-based nav, but the thought of not having the larger screen and the improved sound really ate at me. I had to have it! Don't even know if I'm right or not yet cuz my JLU won't be delivered until late-Oct!!

jf8042

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I got it for the large screen. The Alpine system is pretty damn good though. The Nav isn't terrible, but phone usage is easier.
Sponsored