Sponsored

Is the U-connect with Nav a "must have" for most buyers?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Willy's 2dr.
I'm building out a 2021 Rubi on line and was wondering if the U-connect with Nav is worth it or do must folks use their phones for nav. I don't use nav but was thinking about getting it for the possible added value when I sell or trade in later.
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Knowing what I know now since I have the 8.4 uconnect system, I would not. There are so many people on this site that have problems with this system. The product was not ready for prime time. There are after market products which are much better engineered. However no product is perfect. Read the forum and make up your own mind.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
i've got the 8.4 with Nav. No probles with it other than Off Road Pages disappered for a few weeks earlier this year.
If you could get the 8.4 without Nax in the Wrangler, I would have to save a few bucks. I never use the built in Nav, and only wanted the large screen.
I usually use Waze through Android Auto for street driving.
Once I get off the beaten path and cell service gets iffy, I switch to Google Maps also in Android Auto and I've got downloaded maps on my phone for where I'll be.

They offer the 8.4 without Nav in other vehicles. My daughter has a Compass Trailhawk with 8 4 and no Nav.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'm building out a 2021 Rubi on line and was wondering if the U-connect with Nav is worth it or do must folks use their phones for nav. I don't use nav but was thinking about getting it for the possible added value when I sell or trade in later.
Is 8.4 a must have? For me, yes. Nav? I never use; phone is much better/easier.

AFAIK you can not get the 8.4 w/Alpine upgrade and not get the NAV.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a must? Only you can answer that. But I use mine regularly, especially out in the boonies where cell reception doesn’t exist.

Navigation works through satellite; your phone works through cell towers. So if you go off-roading or out of cell range, your phone’s navigation will be useless unless you download the maps beforehand. Yes, main trails and forest roads are included in the navigation.

Also, there are other features you get with the navigation, like the above-mentioned Off-Road pages, instant elevation readings, “Where Am I?” coordinates, etc. And it’s integrated into the vehicle so it works through your audio system, with your Bluetooth, etc.

I haven’t had any issues with my navigation.

Sponsored

rkan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 VW GTI Autobahn
The most obvious benefit is the large screen. I have never had a problem with offroad pages. I actually like having the nav. Being able to quickly bring up a map without having to dig out my phone and plug it in is handy. Or quickly tell the nav to take me home to get me out of an unfamiliar area until I am back where I know the basic route is also very handy. Can also nicely use the uconnect app to find a place and send it to the Jeep, where it's ready to go when u get in. There is also a "breadcrumb" feature that is cool. Yes, the streets are not as updated as google maps. Yes, manually searching for/entering an address is more difficult than with your phone. But overall the positives outweigh the negatives.

ripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have the 8.4" with nav in my JTR and never use the nav I use my phone, my wife has the 7" in her JLU and I think it's fine, if i had to do it over on my JTR I would do the 7"

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
I have not had any issues with the 8.4 and really like the larger screen and off road pages. Have had the JLUR for a while now and never had any issues so far. I however rarely use the navi option as there is good cell reception on most of Long Island.

i would recommend getting if the money allows not because of navi but because of the larger screen and off road pages.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
If you're worried about value for the next owner, I suggest getting the largest screen available. When comparison shopping used vehicles, I think people can be swayed by the big details that are easy to see and compare. So, giving your future owner the biggest OEM screen available at the time gives them more value, IMO.

And in a few years, maybe already...8.4" isn't going to seem all that large. That's what she said.

I don't think you can order the 8.4" screen without navigation.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I absolutely love the navigation on the 8.4 inch screens in our jeeps. That is a stickler for us when we are looking at a jeep, if it does not have the 8.4 inch screen with navigation we will not even Consider buying the jeep.

both of ours are 2018 models, mine had not been updated, her’s had, I updated mine to the latest software and we’ve had zero problems.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I got the standard radio 7.whatever in my JLURD. It is fine most of the time. CarPlay allows for navigation when you have service. BUT, no service and you can’t input a new destination. That has caught us a few times. Plus I am very directionally challenged. The other negative is not having off road pages on the screen. Pitch and roll are between the gauges, but I think off road pages does more.

I went with the standard radio to be below $50K. But I would rather have it now.

srs148

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR, 2014 Jeep GC Summit
I've got a 2021 JLUR on its way from the factory now and I ordered the 8.4". Get the 8.4" if you can afford it because it also includes the upgraded stereo with subwoofer and noise cancelling technology (pretty sure on that second feature). I've seen many owners who didn't get it say they wish they did. And upgrading the stereo on your own is a pain.

We have a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the 8.4" screen running the older UConnect (no CarPlay) and for a 6-year old system, it doesn't seem outdated and is a quite responsive system, so I'd say we got our money's worth with it.

I never use the built-in navigation - ever. It's too clumsy to enter the address compared to doing it on my phone. But since the new system is CarPlay and Android compatible, you'll be able to use Google Maps on the larger screen which is really nice - we rented a Gr Cherokee this winter that had the same 8.4" system and CarPlay was a nice new feature over our old system.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I would buy for what I want and not what the next person wants. That being said, adding the Alpine speaker package alone adds $1295 MSRP. Adding the 8.4" display adds $1895 MSRP, but includes the Alpine speaker upgrade, so if you are getting the Alpine speakers anyway, it only adds $600 MSRP.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I wasn't going to order it, but the day I ordered, you had to get it with the 8.4 for some reason. I'm really glad it worked out that way, because we really like the larger screen. On this expensive of a vehicle, the tiny screen would have felt too small in the dash.

We never really use the Nav because of Carplay. Offroad we use Gaia Maps which are so much better than the built in nav maps. You can download them for offline use so you are not dependent on cell towers, your phone has a GPS as well. Google Maps can also be downloaded for offline use.

All that said, if I were ordering today, I'd probably only get the cheapest screen available, with the intent of upgrading the head unit to uconnect 5 when it comes to the Wrangler.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Knowing what I know now since I have the 8.4 uconnect system, I would not. There are so many people on this site that have problems with this system. The product was not ready for prime time. There are after market products which are much better engineered. However no product is perfect. Read the forum and make up your own mind.
Almost anything aftermarket will be superior to a vehicle manufacturer, but the UConnect navigation system is fantastic coming from Chrysler which, before Fiat took over, had the absolute worst OEM units in the industry.

Unfortunately, aftermarket companies haven't really come up with head units that are better than the UConnect. They've got superior audio output, sure, but I have yet to see a single 8.4 replacement to this day with a UI that doesn't look like it was designed by an 8-year old. This is one reason Android Auto and Apple Carplay are so popular.

Navigation works through satellite; your phone works through cell towers. So if you go off-roading or out of cell range, your phone’s navigation will be useless unless you download the maps beforehand. Yes, main trails and forest roads are included in the navigation.
The UConnect navigation software actually requires its built in cell connection for GPS to work correctly. I'm sure they did this for the purpose of tracking and telemetry, but if the aircard goes out, the GPS doesn't work anymore. It's stupid.

All that said, if I were ordering today, I'd probably only get the cheapest screen available, with the intent of upgrading the head unit to uconnect 5 when it comes to the Wrangler.
I can almost guarantee you UConnect 5 isn't going to be compatible with the current Wrangler.
Sponsored

Last edited: