Sponsored

Is the Sahara and it's unique options right for me?

KichiMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Honda Accord, '19 JLU Sahara
Hello everyone. Long time lurker on here but finally decided to join the family.

It looks like it is time for me to jump in getting my first jeep and want some of your folks opinions. I have been researching throughout the site but talk about information overload.

I am mostly looking for a daily driver with the occasional off roading. No intense rock climbing or anything of that sort but probably through some basic trails and possibly through muddy areas during winter. With this in mind I am thinking a Rubi will be overkill for my needs since I highly doubt I would even use the lockers and was thinking of a Sahara model due to the main purpose of being a D.D.. I did test drive one a month ago and loved the feel. Here lies the questions:

1. It has been mentioned countless times on here that the Selec-Trac and Anti-Spin Differential are the way to go on this model. Would this really be useful in the conditions I mentioned above? I live in So. Cal and as such we don't get much snow. I would imagine this would help with sandy and wet surfaces but those will be few.

2. I also hear with the Selec-Trac that it uses clutch packs that will eventually wear out? How soon do these tend to do this and is it a pain or costly to fix? (I understand there are lots of variables, just a ballpark).

3. If the Selec-Trac and Anti-Spin Differential would not be necessary for my needs, would it just be better to purchase a Sport-S? The only other mod I like on the Sahara is the LED lights but that can always be put on I would imagine.

I apologize for asking such newb questions (I am a newb though so please keep that in mind before you tear me apart haha) and this will be my first vehicle outside an accord but honestly I am pretty excited and look forward to learning much more from you fine folks.
Sponsored

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
I would like to get an adaptive cruise control for a daily driver. That means Sahara. There are so many beautiful trails in SoCal... I would prefer Rubicon because of its lockers. But of course, if you think that you don't need lockers, anti-spin differential helps. It makes a difference. But of course, you can always add an after-market rear locker. I would prefer Selec-Trac for snow. If you don't go skiing often, you don't need it so much.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hello everyone. Long time lurker on here but finally decided to join the family.

It looks like it is time for me to jump in getting my first jeep and want some of your folks opinions. I have been researching throughout the site but talk about information overload.

I am mostly looking for a daily driver with the occasional off roading. No intense rock climbing or anything of that sort but probably through some basic trails and possibly through muddy areas during winter. With this in mind I am thinking a Rubi will be overkill for my needs since I highly doubt I would even use the lockers and was thinking of a Sahara model due to the main purpose of being a D.D.. I did test drive one a month ago and loved the feel. Here lies the questions:

1. It has been mentioned countless times on here that the Selec-Trac and Anti-Spin Differential are the way to go on this model. Would this really be useful in the conditions I mentioned above? I live in So. Cal and as such we don't get much snow. I would imagine this would help with sandy and wet surfaces but those will be few.

2. I also hear with the Selec-Trac that it uses clutch packs that will eventually wear out? How soon do these tend to do this and is it a pain or costly to fix? (I understand there are lots of variables, just a ballpark).

3. If the Selec-Trac and Anti-Spin Differential would not be necessary for my needs, would it just be better to purchase a Sport-S? The only other mod I like on the Sahara is the LED lights but that can always be put on I would imagine.

I apologize for asking such newb questions (I am a newb though so please keep that in mind before you tear me apart haha) and this will be my first vehicle outside an accord but honestly I am pretty excited and look forward to learning much more from you fine folks.
Never go lower than what you need and thinking you could just add it on as an afterthought, trust me if you aren't essentially a mechanic yourself these things will eventually costing you more time, money and frustration than just getting the trim level you wanted outright. Don't make the mistakes I did, I'm pretty much $15,000 in on my fully-loaded Sahara in time and money and I'm barely even a "Moab" at the moment.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It really depends on how important cost is to you. The Sahara can be optioned out to be very nice on the interior, which is great for a DD.

The selec-trac transfer case upgrade also changes the front axle joints to CV joints, which some consider an upgrade. I doubt your transfer case would wear out because of 4H auto, ever. Especially since it would likely not see much use in an area that doesn’t snow.

The LSD is a no brainer. It’s a very cheap upgrade that also gives you a stronger rear axle.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

1.) probably not. The anti-spin is not very useful in mud, and part-time 50/50 4WD is what you'll use in sand. 2WD is just fine on wet roads. The factory LSD is mediocre at best, today's electronics have really stepped up to do a better job. You'll notice the TC/ESC/BLD will do a better job, which are standard on every trim level. BUT the LSD package includes a Dana 44 rear, and just for that reason it's worth the $595 upgrade. No snow, then you don't really need Selec-Trac, that's where it shines best.

2.) the clutch packs in the transfer case will last much longer than those in the differential.

3.) Based on your needs, you'll be just fine with a Sport S, which you can still get the LSD/D44 option on.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
To be honest for your use you don't even need four wheel drive, much less a Rubicon! Aftermarket lockers? Come on guys.

You probably don't need the Selec-Trac but its a nice system. It's not going to wear out from your occasional use and neither is the LSD.

Sahara is a very nice Jeep. It has a lot of small upgrades over the Sport S that are not immediately obvious such as bigger brakes, rear USB ports,and bigger alternator. Sport S can also be configured into a pretty nice Jeep. Get whichever you fall in love with.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to say, with the OP's intended use a Sahara or a Sport with Limited slip and the Command Trac transfer case will do just fine. Depending on what part of the desert you go to you should have no problem with the All Terrain tires that will come with, just don't expect a Dune truck right out of the factory. As for Daily driving either one is absolutely great! They are good off road too, but if you are constantly hitting the trails then a Rubi would have some goodies you'll like to have.

steelchair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I went with the Sport S. I had the same dilemma with the Sahara. I could not be more pleased with my choice. I added $12K in upgrades including Katskin leather. Still, I think it was the right deal.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
It sounds like you plan to use your Jeep for the same purposes I do. Mainly on surface streets (some here are paved, some aren't), and the occasional light trail. LIke you're considering, I opted to get the Sahara, because I didn't have a purpose to spend extra on lockers and sway bar disconnects that I likely won't use. That said, I certainly don't fault anyone for getting a Rubicon. It's a nice package too, but didn't care for the stiffer/rougher suspension, and higher price tag.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax

My situation is exactly like yours. I will spend most of my time driving to and from work, but also hauling around two kids all year to baseball and basketball tournaments. If I can get onto some trails and get some newb experience, it would be awesome. I've switched from driving VW Jettas all my adult life. I took delivery of my Sahara just one week ago, and I've had no buyer's remorse. I definitely thought about the Sport S, but the Sahara had some nice extra options and packages that sealed it for me. As far as the Selec-Trac, it wasn't even an option since I was going manual transmission 100% from the start. You will not go wrong with the Sahara, in my opinion. And I've seen people take double-takes looking at it, which means for the first time in my life, my vehicle is AWESOME!

Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Oh God. Not another "what should I get?" thread.

Talk about beating a dead horse. This old horse has not only been beaten, but ran over, thrown into a wood chipper and what is left over, burned with jet fuel.

Just get a rubicon. I dont have a Rubicon. Nor do I need/want one but trust me, my post will save you about 3000 thread updates to your post.

Talk to ya later!

OP
OP

KichiMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Honda Accord, '19 JLU Sahara
A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who replied and shared their insight and experiences. Really glad the clutch system doesn't just wear out after the first month (at least in my use). Reading some of those other posts where the wear was mentioned never went into further detail so it makes the mind wonder, especially for a first time jeep buyer. Just want to make the right choice since as mentioned, this will also be my all-in-one vehicle (with the exemption of extreme use).

You will not go wrong with the Sahara, in my opinion. And I've seen people take double-takes looking at it, which means for the first time in my life, my vehicle is AWESOME!
Driving an accord my whole life, I can relate with the VW experience. Just glad to know there are others who have/had my dilemma. The thought of finally having something that I can go almost anywhere (when compared to my previous vehicles) in while taking off the top in nice weather will be an experience.

Oh God. Not another "what should I get?" thread.

Talk about beating a dead horse. This old horse has not only been beaten, but ran over, thrown into a wood chipper and what is left over, burned with jet fuel.

Just get a rubicon. I dont have a Rubicon. Nor do I need/want one but trust me, my post will save you about 3000 thread updates to your post.

Talk to ya later!
And probably after it was burned with jet fuel, run over again haha. I know the feeling of a beaten post, especially with specific things in Ca (such as understanding firearm laws). I have researched before but the threads always derail to just buy it all or get a Rubi as you mentioned but so far so good haha. Spending the amount of coin for these beauties just warranted me to make a unique post. Man, what a month this is with the rush in spending on all the magazines allowed to come in to Ca for the first time in almost 20 years to cherry picking what will be a new member in the family that will help us bring tons of memories for the family. It does make one think to just buy every trim of wrangler and be done with it doesn't it? Sadly, I am not blessed with that type of financials. :crying::LOL:

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The very best advice is to get the highest trim level that you can comfortably afford. I think you'll really enjoy a Sahara and it will do everything you want it to do.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Reading some of those other posts where the wear was mentioned never went into further detail so it makes the mind wonder, especially for a first time jeep buyer.
A limited slip differential, will last you a while. I think the only time it will actually wear out is if you are constantly in situations where it has to activate. If that is the case a locking differential would be a good choice. As for a daily driver with light offroad, you're going to do fine with the limited slip.
Sponsored