Sponsored

Is the rear tow hook on the same as the JK?

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I would like to add another tow hook on the right rear bumper to match the left side. I cannot find them anyone online for the JL. Wouldn't be just the same as the JK? I can't imagine the new generation of those hooks.

For instance, I see these:

https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-hook-p-6110.html

But right above it has JK, but if you look at the link location, it does include the JL.

Confused! lol.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I would like to add another tow hook on the right rear bumper to match the left side. I cannot find them anyone online for the JL. Wouldn't be just the same as the JK? I can't imagine the new generation of those hooks.

For instance, I see these:

https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-hook-p-6110.html

But right above it has JK, but if you look at the link location, it does include the JL.

Confused! lol.
Me too: both desiring to do this and confused. I cannot confirm, but strongly suspect that the JK and JL hooks have a different bolt pattern. I'd like to think that if someone had tried this and succeeded by now I would have heard of it on the forum.

My dealer didn't know. Then again, lots of us tell our dealers things they didn't know.

Still more, I wish I didn't have to buy the left hook again.

I suspect, but am not certain that your only right side tow hook solution right now may come in the purchase of an aftermarket rear bumper with same on it.

I annoys me when FCA changes configurations just for the sake of doing so. I wonder if it was done with intent on selling their MOPAR accessories, available on day 1, and cashing in on a percentage of the aftermarket until they could come up to speed.

Then again, there may have been a reason for some changes that were not profit motivated.

I thought about trying to get a guarantee in writing from MOPARpartsonline such that they would pay for shipping back and refund my money if they are wrong. Then I figured that it was not worth taking the bumper off unless I was using a hook I was certain would fit.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
I cannot say the passenger rear tow hook you mentioned will fit the JL, but I will give you my experience of putting one on a non Rubicon JK I had. This hook was sold with the 10th Anniversary Edition JK bumpers. Those bumpers have the relief cut for the passenger rear tow hook. All the other model bumpers have to be modified with some light trimming to make it fit and work.

That being said, I have entertained this idea also on my JL and brief cursory look of the drivers side rear tow hook fitment, shows any passenger install of a tow hook will also need fitting and cutout of the rear bumper for relief and install of one.

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I cannot say the passenger rear tow hook you mentioned will fit the JL, but I will give you my experience of putting one on a non Rubicon JK I had. This hook was sold and with the 10th Anniversary Edition JK bumpers. Those bumpers have the relief cut for the passenger rear tow hook. All the other model bumpers have to be modified with some light trimming to make it fit and work.

That being said, I have entertained this idea also on my JL and brief cursory look of the drivers side rear tow hook fitment, shows any passenger install of a tow hook will also need fitting and cutout of the rear bumper for relief and install of one.
Not assuming your answer applies to the JL, did you have to remove your JK's bumper to do this Don?

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Not assuming your answer applies to the JL, did you have to remove your JK's bumper to do this Don?
Not all the way. I just loosened and left a few threads on the attach bolt nuts and that gave me enough room to install. It was not until I went to tighten down the bumper that I noticed the interference. Even then, I loosened again, trimmed and reinstalled.

I will also add this, at least on the JK Sahara I installed it on at the time, the oem muffler outlet is just a few inches from that passenger hook. So that hook was getting baked by the exhaust all the time but it never discolored for the year I had it on before trading it in.

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda(s)
JK hooks are not compatible with JL Wranglers and vice versa
Sponsored