Is the Moab Package a Good Deal?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Wait, so the Moab has "Rubicon springs" under it?

Why would they match the tallest available stock springs with the smallest available stock tires?

The thing I liked about the Moab my dealership got was the step rails. Those were very slick...but I did like how they functioned as rock sliders and step bars combined. Great idea on FCA's part to do that. Everything else on the Moab seemed like a waste. There was literally a well optioned Rubicon sitting right next to it for the same MSRP. If I was spending the same money, I'd get the most equipment possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tlmacson

tlmacson

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Agree with all the posts. I was going to the dealer to buy a rubicon and saw a Moab on the lot and chose the Moab instead. My previous truck (ram powerwagon) had diff lockers and sway disconnect and never used them once. I don’t Rock crawl and figured i would prefer a more comfortable jeep (leather, sahara ride). Also since it comes with most of the goodies already your at a good starting point for modding. You also don’t see many Moab’s on the street being that is a special edition. Rubicons are everywhere. Screw the haters and get what you want.
Amen!

OP
OP
tlmacson

tlmacson

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Wait, so the Moab has "Rubicon springs" under it?

Why would they match the tallest available stock springs with the smallest available stock tires?

The thing I liked about the Moab my dealership got was the step rails. Those were very slick...but I did like how they functioned as rock sliders and step bars combined. Great idea on FCA's part to do that. Everything else on the Moab seemed like a waste. There was literally a well optioned Rubicon sitting right next to it for the same MSRP. If I was spending the same money, I'd get the most equipment possible.

Obviously, we all should get what we like. That being said, I'm not one to pay for equipment that I'll probably never use unless it's dirt cheap to buy. Now, if I ever decide to become a rock crawler, then I could go the aftermarket route to achieve that level of off-road worthiness.[/QUOTE]

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
The Moab package is a very well put together package, a loaded Sahara with more trail ready features. There is a lot of people that go offroad with there Jeeps that don’t need e disco, lockers and a 4:1.
Up here 4:1 is almost too low for our trails so your constantly in and out of 4lo, if the e disco is anything like the JK era it’s not a matter of if but when it’s going to fail and lockers while very nice to have, I prefer the limited rear for a daily especially in this god awful never ending winter we are in lol

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Agree with all the posts. I was going to the dealer to buy a rubicon and saw a Moab on the lot and chose the Moab instead. My previous truck (ram powerwagon) had diff lockers and sway disconnect and never used them once. I don’t Rock crawl and figured i would prefer a more comfortable jeep (leather, sahara ride). Also since it comes with most of the goodies already your at a good starting point for modding. You also don’t see many Moab’s on the street being that is a special edition. Rubicons are everywhere. Screw the haters and get what you want.
Its lights BEFORE lockers bruhh

Reactions: JC7

Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
The Moab Package (24M) is a great deal unless you're planning on spending a fair amount of time in off-roading pursuits, especially extreme rock crawling. That fact has been established within a number of other threads. I ordered the Moab package because it checked off all of my boxes and rock crawling was not one of them. It wasn't until after I'd given my salesman my ordering deposit that I figured out just how great of a deal it is.

Let's crunch some numbers. Using the updated (as of Feb 06, 2019) "Customer Preferred Code Guide" we can price out most of the features that come within Pkg 24M, including black aluminum wheels ($995), Selec-Trac 4WD ($595), 8.4" Nav Radio w/ Alpine Premium Audio ($1595), anti-spin rear diff ($595), body color 3-pc hardtop ($2195), hardtop headliner group ($525), heavy duty rock sliders w/ step assist ($975), LED lighting group ($995), remote proximity keyless entry ($495), all weather floor mats ($150), leather seating group ($1495) plus the Rubicon front steel bumper ($740)* for a grand total of $11,350. Compare that to Pkg 24m's MSRP of $10,905 and you've saved $445, but wait - there's more! We haven't factored in the Rubicon hood (probably the sexiest piece of sheet metal found anywhere on any JL -IMO), the BFG KM2 M/T tires (love 'em or hate'em - they're certainly more tire than the A/T's available on the Sahara) and finally the Rubicon shocks and springs. All in, I think it would be very reasonable to say that the Moab owner is getting an extra grand or more (@MSRP) of value in comparison to adding all of these options to a Sahara if you could. Any thoughts pro or con?

* When purchasing both the front and rear Rubicon bumpers from Mopar, the front bumper accounts for 57% of the total; .57 x $1295 (Price of Rubicon Steel Bumper Group in Ordering Guide) = $740
Lots of slick stuff to be sure. The thing that would stop me on the Moab is the mandatory automatic transmission - I prefer manual transmission. Meanwhile, question: the Moab has a limited slip rear diff plus electronic brake lock differential, right? Does that make it pretty decent in snow and off road? Obviously not the same as twin lockers, but pretty decent for people who don't want to rock crawl?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Lots of slick stuff to be sure. The thing that would stop me on the Moab is the mandatory automatic transmission - I prefer manual transmission. Meanwhile, question: the Moab has a limited slip rear diff plus electronic brake lock differential, right? Does that make it pretty decent in snow and off road? Obviously not the same as twin lockers, but pretty decent for people who don't want to rock crawl?
Don't know about rock crawling, but personally I am definitely impressed with driving in snow. Since buying it I've driven through various snowy/icy road conditions and have zero complaints. Love the full-time 4WD, I just leave it in that and make it through everything on the road.

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
Bought a Sahara, found some Moab wheels and Rubi tires, very happy with this!

A420CACD-4B62-4B9C-B798-4EB78C5F57CE.jpeg
Nice upgrade! Like the Rims and then better tires! Of course the black with white just works!

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
As always, any options you add in your car aren’t necessarily a good deal for you, but they definitely are for the manufacturer.

Bundling up options, oh yeah that’s where they make the real money. I obviously have a Rubicon which clearly is optioned enough. However, let’s not kid ourselves, there are no deals here. This is not a deal.
Sponsored