Is the JL the worst Jeep ever?

Hazelwood7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JL Rubicon V6
I read all these posts and I had an issue with the my selling dealer’s service department. They just stunk at problem solving my issue. Sounds like the mechanic is not very good at being a good mechanic. Jeep’s are not the most sophisticated vehicles on the planet. They are very fixable. If you are allowed, tow your jeep to the best rated service shop jeep dealership in your area. They will look at it with fresh eyes. Sounds like your current dealership has given up they don’t have the knowledge to do it.
If your car had to be bought back by fca, they would have one of the regional mechanics fix it right away. I mean not by phone but they would go to the dealership fix your jeep and call the service idiots for wasting time on things they should diagnose and fix.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
fat_head,
I notice we both have 2018s. Maybe the first year of our body style had issues that were corrected in subsequent years. I had a 2007, which was the first year of the JK and drove it 158K miles before getting a 2014. Never an issue.
6 weeks and not even a clue of what's wrong with it seems a bit outrageous. Maybe the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL is the worst jeep ever made?
There may be some truth to the build date. Mine is a very early 2018, feb I think. And frankly it would make sense for the early ones to experience the most problems.

olmectech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of the first 2 doors in SoCal. Never anything more than a few check engine lights.

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of the first 2 doors in SoCal. Never anything more than a few check engine lights.
I ordered my 2 dr Rubicon Jan 24 2018 took delivery Jul 4 2018 have 23000 + miles and 10000 miles additional that does not show on odometer flat towing behind motor home most of miles driven are off road mild to severe trails and cross country roads Only problem I have is one cracked windshield which came early in ownership and I did not replace All my Jeep’s (6) since 1975 have had one I am happy with my Rubi

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
2018-2019-2020-2021 we are long ways passed first year now what?
Now what you say? stopped by the toyota dealership negotiating on a 4runner trd offroad had enough!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ronnie772

Ronnie772

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
So I have an update and a question. I stopped by the dealership to speak with the General Manager (who gave me the usual promise of "I want this done worse than you") and while I was there I spoke to the technician who was working on it. I asked some of the questions I was told to ask by others in this thread. Are all the Fuses seated properly? YES, we checked. Are all the grounds checked and clean? YES, we checked. Are both the main and auxiliary battery good? NO, you don't have an auxiliary battery...

Wait... what? I've been told by everyone else that there's an auxiliary battery in the new jeeps to control the start/stop function, but this technician insists I only have one battery because I have the 2.0L and not the 3.6L. Can someone please tell me if he's correct or clueless?

If he's clueless, is it possible that my problem is just that? From his analysis, I had a bad BCM, they replaced it, but for whatever reason they can't code to the BCM. There's some PIN engineering is supposed to send that opens the door, but mine is not communicating.

I'm really curious about the battery, so if anyone knows definitively, please share.

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
He is correct. The 2018 V6 has the aux battery, but the 2018 2.0 does not. Instead the 2.0 has a big 48V battery that bolts up under the chassis, like this one. Sounds like your particular gremlin isn't caused by one of the more common problems, but hopefully they get yours solved soon.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is the JL the worst Jeep ever? 1608424946806

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Obilgatory "Check with a Lemon Law attorney in your locality. Even if your vehicle technically qualifies as a Lemon, the manufacturer will fight you all the way and try to bury you with paperwork. Yes, it sucks, that's just the way it is, I'm sorry and I wish I had a better answer" comment, because it applies.

I've had 2 TJ's and my '19 JLUR since 2003. I can tell you, the JL is most definitely not the worst Jeep ever. I've heard some horror stories from years past (AMC Era, Early Chrysler). Everyone looks at those years with rose colored glasses because the people who loved them speak highly about them, and the people who had issues sold them or modded them until the issues went away. A common joke I've heard from timers used to be "AMC= All Makes Combined". Not to say that there weren't some solid and reliable Jeeps from there, but there were also some real piles of shit.

I've put 12400 mi on my Jeep since I picked it up and other than a couple warranty items (clutch recall, Windshield) I've had zero issues. Getting the Clutch fixed was a terrible experience mainly because of the way their "Five Star" line or whatever corporate warranty arm it is functions. My dealer did their best, and i was able to verify. Customer Service was of little help. I got a case manager 2 weeks after my Jeep was fixed and they paid my Jeep payment for that month. Still, it took over a month for their warranty process to get the parts to my dealer. Stay on them, and make sure they make good for you. That's the best advice i can offer OP.

This seems to be an industry wide trend: As electronics and computers become more complex, and more integrated with our vehicles, automakers can't seem to keep up with issues. I'm sure engineers are flooded with stuff like this and even the worthwhile technicians have to turn to Corporate and the engineering team for insight on some of those issues (especially anything software related).

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
I always like to wait two years after a brand new model is introduced just so that the manufacturer can figure out the bugs. 2018 and 2019s both had issues with the Clutch for example plus the ESS. Both issues were largely resolved by the time 2020 Model Rolled out in July 2019. The 2020 fixed the old steering issue that had been bugging not just 2018-2020 JLs but JKs and TJs also.

I always used that two year rule and so far that rule has worked good for me. Hoping that streak stays unbroken with my 2020 JLUR.
2023 Rubicon 20th anniversary edition will be my first JL. Hopefully they will have the front windshield defroster debacle resolved by then.
Sponsored