Sponsored

Is the JL e-brake any better than the JK e-brake?

Lateralus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2dr wrangler
Because if your driveway is on an hill and you have a manual transmission, we all know that the jk e-brake is mostly an interior ornament. Seriously chrysler, what's wrong with you?

So please JL owners, tell me that FCA has finally installed a proper e-brake on the wrangler!
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
They say on this forum that if you drop your tire pressure it will make the e-brake work properly. :giggle:

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
What's wrong with them. The one on my TJ works fine. I've had far worse in other vehicles....where the cable snapped and left me with no e-brake.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Lol. I havenā€™t even tried mine yet because of the bad experience with the jk.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It seems to work just fine. My Jk's worked fine for probably the first 5 years. It then didn't hold anymore. I tried to fix it and couldn't, so I took it to my dealer and they installed a rebuild kit. Works like new now. I think the shoes and springs just corroded due to mud and debris getting in there. I have no idea if the lever and cable mechanism on the JL is improved, or not, but I suspect the mini drum set up inside the rear rotors is similar to the JK. I think every couple years I'll take the rear rotors off and spray brake cleaner in there, and maybe Break Free or WD 40 to slow corrosion and keep things moving.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yup, the JK, parking brake has to be dealt with every couple of years. If you don't get in there and clean the crap ... rust, flakes out of there, the brake becomes unusable.

Off topic.. but, have any of you guys with a JK automatic tranny, had the little light go out next to where it says P D R ?

The light on my Son's 2014 JK went out last week. Called one dealership just to ask how much to get the light going again. Dealer said approx. $500 as they would need to replace the shifter unit. Huh .....

Long story short, I pulled the center console (takes 2 min.) and got a looksee after some internet research. There is a tiny tiny tiny light bulb in there that you can get to and replace. Dealer was clueless to this. They think bulb is not replaceable. I ordered the $2.00 bulb on amazon and just replaced the burned out bulb.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Rhinebeck01, thanks for posting it. As you and many others went through our own private Jeep school. Lot of years and a lot of learning and doing it yourself time. And listening to others.
My feelings are that if we continue to share yours and mine and everyone elseā€™s it will build up enough knowledge that you wonā€™t have to go to the Stealership for simple to complex problems. Auto Zone / Pepboys will download any codes and explain them to you, maybe you buy the part there or elsewhere and do the install yourself. Dealers have time limits on repairs and sometimes they have to hustle to get it done. I have my vehicles come back with dents from knees, scratched interior trim from removing a panel, all the fins on my condenser flattened out.
The worst is when they tell you itā€™s fixed based upon a 5 minute trial, but in the real world the problem reaccurs as soon as you get it. At least with these postings you have a better idea if itā€™s just your vehicle or many others. And what manufacturers parts to use and which ones to stay away from.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
They say on this forum that if you drop your tire pressure it will make the e-brake work properly. :giggle:
Thought drilling a hole in the washer fluid resevour did that?

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Thanks for the good laugh!!!

Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I hope the JL brake is better, There's some sort of spring and cable set up in the console where the handle is and somehow this spring "stretches" in the JK. I find that if I press the button with my thumb and pump the handle a few times it temporarily resets this spring and engages much lower and stronger. I hope the one on my JL will be better when it arrives. Although, it's an auto.

Chinarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Sahara, 2018 JLU Rubicon,
My JLUR is a manual & I park it on roughly a 20% grade in front of my house. I can say that itā€™s parking brake is solid & trust it to hold, whether I have it in gear or not. I also have a 2012 JKU, automatic, and do not trust its parking brake at all.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
It's a parking brake. And, like most other vehicles, it's nothing more than a small mechanical drum brake on one wheel that's connected via a cable to the control handle in the cabin. It's a supplement to parking with your manual transmission in gear or your automatic transmission in Park. It should never be relied on as the sole mechanism for keeping your vehicle stationary when parked.

*evonol*

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
In my JLSport I have noticed some weird noises when pulling the parking break up that started after a few months. I would describe it as "a light peice of thin metal falling on a shop floor". Haven't parked it on a grade of any degree.
In regard to @Biscuit above message...well thats some info that is new to me.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I park in a relatives driveway, every now and then. It is scary steep, and the E-Brake has no problem handling the incline. It still makes me nervous.
Sponsored