Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Couldn't the opposite be just as plausible?

Something also worth considering, there are more people who truly want a 4 door than those who have them. They went to look at a 4 door, really wanted one, but for financial reasons ended up with a 2 door. So, the 4 door still serves a purpose in drawing people into the dealer.
Highly doubtful
Sponsored

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

When I spec'd out my '22 2-Door, I ran the numbers on a 4-Door equipped the same way. When you're north of $45K, another $3K doesn't make that much difference.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Something also worth considering, there are more people who truly want a 4 door than those who have them. They went to look at a 4 door, really wanted one, but for financial reasons ended up with a 2 door. So, the 4 door still serves a purpose in drawing people into the dealer.
It's plausible but not likely based on the overall replies on this forum. Countless posts stating "I'd love to have a 2dr but we have too many kids, too much gear, etc". I can't recall the last time I saw a post stating "I have no need for the extra room that a 4dr provides, but I wanted one anyway".
But YMMV :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Sounds unlikely.

Adding doors and seating capacity is the easiest way for automakers to grow market demand for any vehicle. Hence the almost universal disappearance of 2-door vehicles, including coupes and 2-door pickups.

From a strictly practical perspective, 4-door trumps 2-door. From an aesthetic and fun-to-drive perspective, 2-door trumps 4-door.

But when the time comes to sign on the dotted line, the vast majority of buyers are thinking in practical terms, and so 4-door wins.

The reason we still have a 2-door Wrangler today is mostly due to its iconic image and brand heritage.

Notice that Jeep didn’t even bother launching Gladiator with a 2-door any more...

I’m not bashing the 2-door; I actually like it. Just pointing out the market demand factors, and their implications for the automaker.

Reactions: LCW

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I believe it would be a huge mistake to let the 2dr go out to pasture, it is the face off Jeep as a whole, maybe not to the youngins who have grown up seeing lots of 4drs, but to all us wiser geezers (I'm 44, close enough), the 2dr is Jeep. And we are the only ones that will probably be able to afford them anymore anyway! I started with an '09 2dr, have 2 car seats in the back, forward, and rear facing, until my daugher turned 7, my son was 3. At that point, with the need for room for sporting gear and the like, had to go 4dr (on my second one) if I was to continue to utilize a wrangler as my main form of transport. However, once my kids fly the coup, most likely I'd like to go back to a 2dr, or at least have one as my play vehicle so I hope they are smart enough to keep them around, also cant give that market to the Bronco either!

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I believe it would be a huge mistake to let the 2dr go out to pasture, it is the face off Jeep
Well said. They use a classic CJ flat fender(by default a 2 door), somewhere on every Wrangler, as a secondary branding logo. The image of a 2 door with no doors or top is iconic. As far as I know a topless 2 door has been used in the majority of Jeeps advertising since we had to start calling it the 2 door, as there was no 4 door made by Jeep prior to 2007.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...to all us wiser geezers (I'm 44, close enough), the 2dr is Jeep. And we are the only ones that will probably be able to afford them anymore anyway!
Mm. So long as 72, 84 and 120 month loan terms remain available, the youngins will have the opportunity to overextend themselves into a new Wrangler. ;)

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think the 4 door is way more popular for a simple reason - it solves the age-old Wrangler problem of having an "impractical" daily driver. How many people over the years have passed up Wrangler ownership because they needed something practical (or more importantly, their spouse said they do)? I'm betting it's in the millions. I'm definitely one of those people, who would not have bought my 2023 Rubicon if it had not been offered in a 4-door.

I do hope the 2-door stays around, though. It's the "classic" wrangler style, and it deserves a spot in the lineup. Not to mention, it's a better off-roader with its superior breakover angle. So it's good for people to continue to have that option for those who can make it work for their lifestyle. If they ditch the 2-door then I'll be terrified of what they'll axe next.. straight axles?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If they ditch the 2-door then I'll be terrified of what they'll axe next.. straight axles?
The new Recon is probably a trial for a Wrangler replacement. Let's see what happens with sales.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Its their bread and so much butter, the wrangler surely isn't going anywhere. Their is no replacement for the Wrangler, it is Jeep, it is a whole lot of Stellantis, without it bye bye company...or maybe I'm being a tad overdramatic! :CWL: :giggle::rock:
Sponsored