JL_Wildlife

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Turbo Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I am running a diesel right now, its only a weekender drive but I love taking it out. I maybe burn 6 gallons of diesel every two weeks. So this price hike really does effect me.

Remember life is short, enjoy it and do not complain.

65C786D2-8613-4727-B196-1DD53D888F14.jpeg
46E74660-9E03-4875-8CB2-CB38084CAFA7.jpeg

548040E9-D4BE-4D2A-A3D3-4A964610AAEE.jpeg
How do you like the pedal monster? Are you also running the derringer?
- Considering adding both of these to my Diesel, stock at the moment but will be lifting it soon and putting on 37's.
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
@JL_Wildlife I can vouch the PedalMonster makes the Wrangler feel much more responsive, it will still have the turbo lag but pedal input lag is no more. I have my Derringer still in the box for the moment.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've had my 21' JLUR Diesel for 8000 miles now, it's been amazing on 1000 mile road trips, and have been off-roading in SoCal about a dozen times, and in some places I did not think a stock Rubi could go, I have been impressed. Love it, amazing vehicle and I love the 3.0L Turbo Diesel purr. I see some people complain about having to fill up the Deff tank? WTF is that? I put sugar in mine.. JK. If you complain about that buy a prius :) I also owe one of those as well so you're welcome. Buy one of these bad boys, you will love it. Also buy a 392 and drive both. BOOM. God Bless my friends!
Robbie, I agree, the I’d-buy-one-except-for DEF-costs argument is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. It’s like not taking your family to the beach because the cost of sun screen

Last edited:

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
How do you like the pedal monster? Are you also running the derringer?
- Considering adding both of these to my Diesel, stock at the moment but will be lifting it soon and putting on 37's.
I have a pedal monster and I like it. It's not a huge change like the derrainger would be, but it is noticeable. I have mine turned to 5 or 6 on City mode which isn't a big change, but its that slight change that I want which removes the feeling that there is a rubberband connecting your gas pedal to your throttle. This is a common feeling in a lot of modern cars, so if you're used to that then the change might not be as good. One thing I'd say is it is not as big of a difference as any marketing would lead you to believe. I would do Pedal Monster again (and not other brands) and think it is worth the money.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Wondering what folks think about the EcoDiesel now that they are harder and harder to find and the rumors that it's not long for this world (that Stellantis will discontinue it due to emissions issues maybe even before they cancel the 392). If you don't have one Is it something you aspire to? And if you do have one are you loving it and looking to keep it cause it's probably going away? Or is it a ticking time bomb reliability-wise and a concern due to sky-high diesel fuel prices?
I had two, in a 2020 Ram and a 2021 Jeep.

Here's the issue: Diesel is running $1.10 per gallon more than gas. DEF prices are up 50% or more. Oil filters have been on national backorder. Oil is impossible to find in some markets, and if you do find it you'll pay dearly for it. $47 oil filters, $45 fuel filters, etc....

When the EcoD first debuted in Jeeps we all sat around calculating whether it made sense or not. That was with gasoline at $1.89 and diesel at $2.19. Today those prices have more than doubled, so there is absolutely no case you can make that shows the EcoD being worth it from a money standpoint. You WILL pay more at purchase and everytime you turn the key to have the diesel.

Having said that, there are people (myself included) who just love the sound and love the low end torque. So some folks are willing to spend more money for a more finicky and problematic engine simply because it's what they want.

I ditched my EcoD 6 months ago when I saw the writing on the wall. I'm currently shopping the 4xe because it provides the same type of low end power but will be much easier on the wallet.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I didn't buy the 3.0 to save money, is like saying people buy the 392 to save on gas. The minuscule cost compared to the 3.6 is not an issue for me on any level. I generally got 15 mpg in the 3.6. The dealer will be dealing with free oil changes for the next couple of years so not an issue at all for me. I think the cost with a coupon is less than 150 bucks at 10k miles.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel

Here's the issue: Diesel is running $1.10 per gallon more than gas. DEF prices are up 50% or more. Oil filters have been on national backorder. Oil is impossible to find in some markets, and if you do find it you'll pay dearly for it. $47 oil filters, $45 fuel filters, etc....

When the EcoD first debuted in Jeeps we all sat around calculating whether it made sense or not. That was with gasoline at $1.89 and diesel at $2.19. Today those prices have more than doubled, so there is absolutely no case you can make that shows the EcoD being worth it from a money standpoint. You WILL pay more at purchase and everytime you turn the key to have the diesel.

Having said that, there are people (myself included) who just love the sound and love the low end torque. So some folks are willing to spend more money for a more finicky and problematic engine simply because it's what they want.

I ditched my EcoD 6 months ago when I saw the writing on the wall. I'm currently shopping the 4xe because it provides the same type of low end power but will be much easier on the wallet.
I don't buy a jeep for economic reasons. Doing larger tires negatively affects econmics of the jeep (mpg, price for tires and often how long they last all go down), yet people do that left right and center. I think it is silly to pick an engine for dollar savings when looking at vehicles like a jeep; a prius or similar sure makes sense. Offroading the diesel powerplant is great with its low end high torque. My jeep is 80%-90% used for offroading and travel for offroading. I tow a lot and having the 3.0L makes all that more enjoyable. Towing a 2000lb trailer up mountain passes in CO and UT was not much fun with a 3.6L JK on 37s. I think the diesel is the best current option for a wrangler, but only for some. If someone is daily driving their wrangler and those commutes are short and/or lots of stop&go then I would not recommend the diesel. Just like any vehicle, it all comes down to the owners use-model and personal preferences. Personally I think the 4xE is a great powerplant for a daily driven wrangler that occasionally sees offroading. It is not good choice for an overland rig IMO.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
For me the diesel is major savings compared to the TJ I just came from. I was getting 12mpg on a good day with the TJ and with the diesel maybe get 17mpg on my worst day. That’s a 40% increase in mpg. Diesel is only 10% more than regular and it’s waaay more fun to drive so win-win in my book :)

JL_Wildlife

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Turbo Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
@JL_Wildlife I can vouch the PedalMonster makes the Wrangler feel much more responsive, it will still have the turbo lag but pedal input lag is no more. I have my Derringer still in the box for the moment.
Thanks for the info brother!
Robbie, I agree, the I’d-buy-one-except-for DEF-costs argument is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. It’s like not taking your family to the beach because the cost of sun screen
Rick, absolutely brother, I absolutely love the Jeep community and can understand people not wanting to spend extra cost here and there, but I think overall the cost is just so minimal, and it’s so simple to fill the def tank, it’s just a non issue at all for me :)

JL_Wildlife

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Turbo Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I have a pedal monster and I like it. It's not a huge change like the derrainger would be, but it is noticeable. I have mine turned to 5 or 6 on City mode which isn't a big change, but its that slight change that I want which removes the feeling that there is a rubberband connecting your gas pedal to your throttle. This is a common feeling in a lot of modern cars, so if you're used to that then the change might not be as good. One thing I'd say is it is not as big of a difference as any marketing would lead you to believe. I would do Pedal Monster again (and not other brands) and think it is worth the money.
Brewski, thanks for the input! Really appreciate it! I think I’m going to get a pedal monkey and see how I like it, from your description and what I hear from others who have it, it all sounds really positive, not a massive difference and of course you aren’t adding power, just a little more responsiveness. Thanks again!

Sponsored

JL_Wildlife

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Turbo Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks brother!! Appreciate the input! I’m going to get one and give it a shot

RocknJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD

Having had a 3.6 on 33's and now a diesel on 37's I use WAY less fuel than my gasser around 10 mpg better actually. No way that its costing me more to drive this thing then that gas motor and the 3.6 is a turd to boot. Now I did get lucky and buy my 2020 JLURD Rubicon with 8k miles on it fully loaded for 50k so the whole expense up front buying it also doesn't apply. Plain and simple such a better Jeep and so much better on fuel would NEVER go back.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Most people complaining about how much DEF cost or even the diesel in general, are just trying to justify to themselves why they didn’t buy the diesel.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Having had a 3.6 on 33's and now a diesel on 37's I use WAY less fuel than my gasser around 10 mpg better actually. No way that its costing me more to drive this thing then that gas motor and the 3.6 is a turd to boot. Now I did get lucky and buy my 2020 JLURD Rubicon with 8k miles on it fully loaded for 50k so the whole expense up front buying it also doesn't apply. Plain and simple such a better Jeep and so much better on fuel would NEVER go back.
A 3.6 P-star on 33" tires gets 16-17 MPG average. You're saying that you get 26-27 average with the EcoD on 37" tires? GTFO here man... c'mon.....

Realistically (because I've had both) the EcoD on anything other than stock tires is a low 20s MPG engine. To back this up, there are now millions of combined miles from real world owners in Fuelly and the average is running about 22 MPG consistently.

I can see 3-5 MPG advantage with the diesel. 10? Impossible.

Factor in that $1.10/gallon higher cost and that 3-5 advantage disappears rapidly.
Sponsored