Sponsored

Is the Bestop Sunrider being slightly lop sided an issue?

DZZNUTTZ

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
I just purchased a Black twill Sunrider for JL from Rubitrux.com. I took a look at the directions and YouTube videos and installed the sunrider carefully, but on the driver's side the Sunrider is sticking up more than the passenger side. Just in case I installed it a second time, but same thing. I water tested, but it seems like it doesn't leak. However it doesn't look proper. Any suggestions or is this ok?

20210610_171758.jpg

20210610_171804.jpg

20210610_171809.jpg
Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Mines not 100% perfect. Looks kinda like yours, not noticeable at all unless you’re up high looking down on it. I figured with the fact that the roof is removable, there’s gunna be some minor play in fitment. Mine doesn’t leak either, enjoy it!

OP
OP
DZZNUTTZ

DZZNUTTZ

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
Mines not 100% perfect. Looks kinda like yours, not noticeable at all unless you’re up high looking down on it. I figured with the fact that the roof is removable, there’s gunna be some minor play in fitment. Mine doesn’t leak either, enjoy it!
Got it. Thank you@AMKRubicon610

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Send Bestop your pics I think they'll b honest with you? Great company and you'll love the Sunrider it's just great. So much better thn dealing with panels and worring about to drag th3m along or leave "em home in case of rain! Live in N.E. left it on all winter this year, no complaints!

Go Jeep!!! and Bestop!!

OP
OP
DZZNUTTZ

DZZNUTTZ

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
Send Bestop your pics I think they'll b honest with you? Great company and you'll love the Sunrider it's just great. So much better thn dealing with panels and worring about to drag th3m along or leave "em home in case of rain! Live in N.E. left it on all winter this year, no complaints!

Go Jeep!!! and Bestop!!
Will do. Agreed, so much better without the hassle of the freedom tops.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DZZNUTTZ

DZZNUTTZ

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
I just purchased a Black twill Sunrider for JL from Rubitrux.com. I took a look at the directions and YouTube videos and installed the sunrider carefully, but on the driver's side the Sunrider is sticking up more than the passenger side. Just in case I installed it a second time, but same thing. I water tested, but it seems like it doesn't leak. However it doesn't look proper. Any suggestions or is this ok?

Jeep Wrangler JL Is the Bestop Sunrider being slightly lop sided an issue? 20210610_171809

Jeep Wrangler JL Is the Bestop Sunrider being slightly lop sided an issue? 20210610_171809

Anyone @Bestop out there? I keep getting this message on your website.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is the Bestop Sunrider being slightly lop sided an issue? Screenshot_20210611-182418_DuckDuckGo

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If your concerned about the raised back edge don’t be, there is material fastened into that rail that runs along the back and you have to remember that it presses against the seal along the back and the material will flex and stretch when wet and it will never be as even as the freedom panels as it’s not rigid at least from the material side, as long as it does not leak Its fine.

Heres a test to do after say you wash it, while the top is still damp loosen the latches and raise it like opening but not all the way then let it dry all the way and after dry look at that area of concern I’m betting it looks better and as you latch it watch how the material stretches and after a little time it stretches back out, it’s gotta stretch.

But maybe I’m not seeing what you are seeing ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
DZZNUTTZ

DZZNUTTZ

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
If your concerned about the raised back edge don’t be, there is material fastened into that rail that runs along the back and you have to remember that it presses against the seal along the back and the material will flex and stretch when wet and it will never be as even as the freedom panels as it’s not rigid at lest from the material side, as long as it does not leak Its fine.

Heres a test to do after say you wash it, while the top is still damp loosen the latches and raise it like opening but not all the way then let it dry all the way and after dry look at that area of concern I’m betting it looks better and as you latch it watch how the material stretches and after a little time it stretches back out, it’s gotta stretch.

But maybe I’m not seeing what you are seeing ..
I appreciate the info @WranglerMan Looks like it doesn't leak, so I'll work on my OCD.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey @DZZNUTTZ
Yes we're out here. I can't see the lopsidedness that you're referring to exactly but I can trust you that it's there. As @WranglerMan mentioned, the seal is designed to be compatible with multiple years of hardtops so it will often rest on top as you have. My recommendation is just to run it and see if there's any performance issue. If you're concerned and want further validation I would email our CS Team, though they are a bit backed up this time of year.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DZZNUTTZ

I like @Bestop am unable to say much after viewing your pics. Not the right angle, etc..

I have installed, 4 Bestop Sunrider for JL's so far...

I also have viewed one SR that had the Z-clip broken and how that leaves the install/the look of the installed SR.

If you want another opinion and to give Bestop another look so to speak...... is there any chance you can take a few more pics and post here.

I would like to see one straight down on the installed SR and then one from directly behind the JL ... with the camera being up about 3' and about 4' from the SR. That and just a few more pics in general...

About the warranty..... Bestop will not warranty the SR if you bought it used... even if it was only a few days old and you bought it used...

As the original SR buyer though, do know that Bestop has your back so to speak and will be there for you if the SR has issues. They back their product!

I had a Zclip break loose on a Twill, SR after over 35,000 miles of use / almost 2.5 years use.... and I used it alot and Bestop sent me a new one for free .... with no hassle or push from me nor cost by me when my Zclip broke off.

I wish all companies stood by their product offerings like Bestop does theirs..

p.s. With what I am seeing by the pics you posted your SR is aok and there is no issue..

Sponsored

OP
OP
DZZNUTTZ

DZZNUTTZ

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
Hey @DZZNUTTZ
Yes we're out here. I can't see the lopsidedness that you're referring to exactly but I can trust you that it's there. As @WranglerMan mentioned, the seal is designed to be compatible with multiple years of hardtops so it will often rest on top as you have. My recommendation is just to run it and see if there's any performance issue. If you're concerned and want further validation I would email our CS Team, though they are a bit backed up this time of year.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Thanks Lee, I did the water test, seems ok. I'll monitor and also upload another photo from a different angle as Rhinebeck01 suggested. I keep getting this error when trying to submit an email on Bestop's website.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is the Bestop Sunrider being slightly lop sided an issue? Screenshot_20210611-182418_DuckDuckGo

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DZZNUTTZ

I found it best to just call Bestop's Customer Service number. They are in Colorado... With that said call 1-800-845-3567 at say 11am EST and you will get through.

I am sending you a PM... Do read .. 8-)

OP
OP
DZZNUTTZ

DZZNUTTZ

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
@DZZNUTTZ

I found it best to just call Bestop's Customer Service number. They are in Colorado... With that said call 1-800-845-3567 at say 11am EST and you will get through.

I am sending you a PM... Do read .. 8-)
I appreciate it. Thank you.
Sponsored