Sponsored

Is the $2500 increase in base price justified?

Is the $2500 increase justified?

• Yes

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 45.3%

• Total voters

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I don’t think so, considering the fact that all new added features are options. New tranny and backup cam don’t justify an increase imo bc these are modern technologies found in every other new car on the road.

What do you think?
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
New tranny and backup cam don’t justify an increase imo bc these are modern technologies found in every other new car on the road.
That makes no sense, regardless of it being ubiquitous, it’s an add-on to the previous JK you are using as your basis.

You of course forget all the other add-ons too, but I doubt they would change your mind either as it’s an arbitrary ‘more expnsive than before’ concept than a justification for what’s there.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
That makes no sense, regardless of it being ubiquitous, it’s an add-on to the previous JK you are using as your basis.
The JK is using 10 year old technology. On that basis, the JK is overpriced as is. So essentially ur agreeing to pay an increase in price because the vehicle was updated. On that notion, the wrangler will be $100,000 in a few decades.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The JK is using 10 year old technology. On that basis, the JK is overpriced as is.
That’s irrelevant, whether it’s briming with new tech or ladden with old trusty methods, it is priced in such a way that it sells-out. So if you’re talking price increase you’re comparing to a previous JK regardless of your personal issue regarding price.

You ignore the full list of improvements, that not only update aging components, but also add features that weren’t previously offered on a base model.

However, pricing is still guided by supply and demand, and with strong demand for the JK even in the face of a new JL why wouldn’t base prices increase initially, and then drop once demand softened?

So essentially ur agreeing to pay an increase in price because the vehicle was updated.
No. I will agree to pay, or not, based on if I want one at the time I replace my current one (usually every 3 years for JKU, every 5 for JK). I doubt the difference in price will be fixed at $2,500 even for my JK which is usually pretty barebones.

On that notion, the wrangler will be $100,000 in a few decades.
LOL, I love how you think a Wrangler will still be sold in a few decades, let alone think $100K will be some exorbitant number.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
There's a lot of NEW on the JLs, materials, transmissions, axels, engine, on and on, so the cost is worth it.
I do think LED lighting is an important safety issue, and SHOULD be standard, along with rear camera and side air bags.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't like it, but if I didn't think it was worth it, I wouldn't be on this forum and I wouldn't be prepared to order one. Still, I'll probably walk out of the dealership bow-legged to get in my new JL and drive it home.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree on the LEDs being important, unfortunately true branded quality LEDs (that are actually DOT compliant and not just stamped DOT) are still not cheap, so adding to the base would add another coupla hundred buck to the moaning.
Give it a few more years and they will be closer to the cost of incandescents, they’ve already almost halved in price in less than 5 years.
I think even FCA would like to move to a single solution/option, but with all the people who still try to get the cheapest barebone Wrangler they can, it can’t happen without even further bumps that people won’t consider as a costly upgrade, and instead say “I can get Chinese LEDs for $80”.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
LOL, I love how you think a Wrangler will still be sold in a few decades, let alone think $100K will be some exorbitant number.
Ah, yes. Thinking the Wrangler will be sold for the coming decades is a wild, and inconcievable thing to assume. Considering that they have been selling for decades, and only gone up in sales..

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, yes. Thinking the Wrangler will be sold for the coming decades is a wild, and inconcievable thing to assume. Considering that they have been selling for decades, and only gone up in sales..
Well if your only concept of the future is simply repeating the past, then it probably would seem foreign to you on both counts, and would also explain why you would think the JL should cost the same as any Wrangler before it going back to the YJ or even before the Wrangler badge.

Remember ‘a few decades’, even being generous and not holding you to 30, then that is still more than 20 years, and means not even the refresh after the JL, but the refresh after the refresh after the JL.

Vehicles are about to go through major changes within the next decade let alone ‘a few decades’, there won’t be a Wrangler that in any shape or form truly resembles a Wrangler in anything other than name only in 20+ years. After all the struggles to keep the JL a ‘true Wrangler’ the refresh after the JL in 10years will be hard-pressed to remain a ‘true’, and then after that it’s more likely to become either an ultra niche even more expnsive product or else something very pedestrian with a Wrangler name tacked on for nostalgic PR purposes.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Well if your only concept of the future is simply repeating the past, then it probably would seem foreign to you on both counts, and would also explain why you would think the JL should cost the same as any Wrangler before it going back to the YJ or even before the Wrangler badge.

Remember ‘a few decades’, even being generous and not holding you to 30, then that is still more than 20 years, and means not even the refresh after the JL, but the refresh after the refresh after the JL.

Vehicles are about to go through major changes within the next decade let alone ‘a few decades’, there won’t be a Wrangler that in any shape or form truly resembles a Wrangler in anything other than name only in 20+ years. After all the struggles to keep the JL a ‘true Wrangler’ the refresh after the JL in 10years will be hard-pressed to remain a ‘true’, and then after that it’s more likely to become either an ultra niche even more expnsive product or else something very pedestrian with a Wrangler name tacked on for nostalgic PR purposes.
Lol look at that. “Grape ape” says the wrangler will change in the future, even though the JL retains both FRONT and rear solid axles with body on frame construction. The only way to gauge the future, is to look at the past.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol look at that. “Grape ape” says the wrangler will change in the future, even though the JL retains both FRONT and rear solid axles with body on frame construction. The only way to gauge the future, is to look at the past.
Look at that, you pretend you understand the changes, yet you still act like everything is the same, and you expect it to remain so as a “Wrangler” in 20+ years.

I’m the one advocating change, you’re the one moaning about price and pretend nothing has changed nor will change, other than price.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Look at that, you pretend you understand the changes, yet you still act like everything is the same, and you expect it to remain so as a “Wrangler” in 20+ years.

I’m the one advocating change, you’re the one moaning about price and pretend nothing has changed nor will change, other than price.
The Wrangler will, one way or another, exist for the entirety of the future of Jeep brand. If you can’t understand that concept, I cannot help you.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Wrangler will, one way or another, exist for the entirety of the future of Jeep brand. If you can’t understand that concept, I cannot help you.
Sure, that “one way or another” can include adding a Wrangler sticker to a Bolt/Prius making it a Wrangler in name only, like the Charger and Challengers of the 80s.

You could always get one of those stickers right now and put it on a Rengade to lower your cost of buying a new ‘Wrangler’ today instead of waiting for a JL.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
The Wrangler is the flagship model for Jeep and probably the main reason the brand lived on through the years. The price increase won't be justified even though aluminium parts cost more than steel. But Jeep will still sell every Wrangler the factory can spit out for a long time. Maybe a $5 per gallon fuel crisis could put the slowdown on sales but there is no doubt in my mind if there is a Jeep brand of vehicles there will be a Wrangler in its lineup.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I think the Wrangler will be recognizable as such in 20-30 years. Thinking all vehicles will look like a Prius is ridiculous. Tech will change, it may be fuel cell, or hybrid or all electric or ? (probably sooner than 20 years) but I guarantee there will not be a convergence of styling at anytime in the future.

I remember when "prognosticators" said we would all have flying cars by the year 2000. Still waiting, and honestly I think that would be a disaster. We can't even keep from hitting each other in a 2 dimensional commuter world. :)

Tech will find solutions and design will live on. After living through the oil crisis of the 70's, nobody thought we would ever be able to buy a high horsepower car again. Today it's not too hard to find a 400+ horsepower vehicle that gets "decent" (better than 1960-1970s) mileage.

I voted justified but I admit I don't have a list of the improvements compared to the JK. I think some of that increase is supply and demand.
Sponsored