Is that... Am I... parked next to the ORIGINAL??? **PICS**

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
Willy’s have 7 slot Grills and the Fords have 8, I am far from an expert but I learned this from my grandfather. One of the awesome thing that has been handed down between the generations of my family.
Thanks! I’ve always thought that the 7 slot grille was the original built.

It looks like this Jeep has 9 slot grille! :whatsgoingon:
Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Willy’s have 7 slot Grills and the Fords have 8, I am far from an expert but I learned this from my grandfather. One of the awesome thing that has been handed down between the generations of my family.
Actually, Ford originally created a stamped 9-slot grille as an easy to produce cost cutting measure over the iron slats that were used before. After the war, Willys changed it to 7 slots in order to trademark it as their own.

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Ahhhh very cool, that helps! Now I just need to get a handle on this whole 9 slot grill thing...

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Thanks! I’ve always thought that the 7 slot grille was the original built.

It looks like this Jeep has 9 slot grille! :whatsgoingon:
Hahaha that's exactly what my mind went to when I replied to his comment! Because I remember reading something about how they switched from 9 to 7 to accommodate larger headlights (at least in part).

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Actually, Ford originally created a stamped 9-slot grille as an easy to produce cost cutting measure over the iron slats that were used before. After the war, Willys changed it to 7 slots in order to trademark it as their own.
Thanks for your comment/insight brother. I swear I saw the "The More You Know" rainbow flash across my computer screen just now hahaha for reeeeal

Sponsored

Outlaw

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1992 YJ Wrangler, 1995 F350 Powerstroke, 1994 Ford Bronco
Good stuff man, way to elevate this post!! I notice a few differences that ha 've me curious, such as the panels under the windshield, light guards, and soft top. I was asking earlier how you can spot the manufacturer differences in the early models, and I wonder if these could be some examples? Also, did you happen to catch the year on that one, or any other info?
The owner told me that it was a 1945 that he has owned since 1972.
I used to have a nice poster of the changes to the Jeep over the years, but no longer have it.
Thanks for your positive comments.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The owner told me that it was a 1945 that he has owned since 1972.
I used to have a nice poster of the changes to the Jeep over the years, but no longer have it.
Thanks for your positive comments.
I took this at Jeep Beach this year in the Jeep tint during the Main St event in Daytona Beach:

7D8163A8-9C3A-4EC6-91CA-03A8E23C74B8.jpeg

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Both Ford and Willys MB's had 9 slots, it was the Willy's CJ-2A that first got the 7 slot grill. As far as spotting the difference between Ford and Willys MB's, there's not much to notice. I believe some bolts have an "F" stamped on them on the Ford models, but both had to have completely interchangeable parts for field repairs.

Jeeper18426572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler 2 Door Tank Green
I thought both Ford and Willys MBs had 9 slots and the first Jeeps to have 7 slots and non recessed headlights were the Willys CJ2As and M38As

0E7D8411-4667-4FDC-9FE7-F2809B7D06C3.jpeg

C824FA19-6465-4CB1-BA36-2822DB4EF899.jpeg

Marley

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrangler Sahara unlimited
]does anyone know if this is a Jeep grill? If it is, what year is this? I’ve never seen one like it. Any info would be great

B80285B9-D4B6-4373-8FDC-D4E25A092822.jpeg

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
Very nice. An original MB for sure, but the real original was a Bantam. That may be a Willys or Ford built.
If you zoom in on the third picture, you will see “WILLYS” on the dash.
Sponsored