Sponsored

Is Tailgate Reinforcement Needed?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
What fine tuning are you referring to? My EVO carrier lined up perfectly. I used one shim for my 35" tire per their recommendation.
I think you're in the minority then. I had no problems getting mine lined up AFTER adding some additional washers between the carrier and the spacer plates because the gate was actually warped outward. I think the holes on the mounting brackets that connect to the tub, at least on mine, weren't drilled in the proper position.

I'm not shitting on the product. It's fantastic. But if you look at various photos of this product installed, even from the manufacturer themselves, most people don't seem to get the gate lined up properly.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ody-mounted-tire-carriers-available-now.16641
https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-jl-hd-hinged-tire-carrier-black/

Even on their own product photo, you can see the gate still needs some tweaking, even if it opens and closes just fine.

Here's mine, which is aligned beautifully, but required additional hardware to make it so. That shouldn't have to be the case.

evo2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Is it possible that what the owner manual means by 85 pounds is additional?

As in whatever you add has to fit in 85 pounds and that includes the spare's additional weight if you go bigger?
As some have mentionned the regular Rubicon tires and already rather heavy.

Maybe we should get Jeep Cares involved to get an official answer?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Is it possible that what the owner manual means by 85 pounds is additional?

As in whatever you add has to fit in 85 pounds and that includes the spare's additional weight if you go bigger?
As some have mentionned the regular Rubicon tires and already rather heavy.

Maybe we should get Jeep Cares involved to get an official answer?
It is not 85 additional pounds.

Wrangler’s tail gate weight limit has been listed at 85 lbs since 2014. That includes the spare tire weight, factory or oversized. This isn’t some new mystery.

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I put the Evo carrier on straight away before getting larger tires. Maybe it lined up right because the tailgate never had a heavy tire mounted on it.

Fast forward to after the carrier and 35's were mounted. I noticed the tailgate dropping maybe 1/4" when I open it. Called Evo and they said this is due to the tub flexing under the weight. The latch is what keeps the tailgate level.

At least I know the carrier isn't going to sag, warp, or get torqued. It's heavy steel.

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I put the Evo carrier on straight away before getting larger tires. Maybe it lined up right because the tailgate never had a heavy tire mounted on it.

Fast forward to after the carrier and 35's were mounted. I noticed the tailgate dropping maybe 1/4" when I open it. Called Evo and they said this is due to the tub flexing under the weight. The latch is what keeps the tailgate level.

At least I know the carrier isn't going to sag, warp, or get torqued. It's heavy steel.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
If you do a lot of washboard / corrugated roads then you are better off to get one installed. Better yet, relocate to a swing out carrier tied to the bumper / frame
That type of continuous driving is what causes metal fatigue. Especially when there is 60kg hanging off the back.

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
It is not 85 additional pounds.

Wrangler’s tail gate weight limit has been listed at 85 lbs since 2014. That includes the spare tire weight, factory or oversized. This isn’t some new mystery.
They way I have read it multiple places even on this forum is that the 85 lbs rating is in addition to the spare.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
They way I have read it multiple places even on this forum is that the 85 lbs rating is in addition to the spare.
My point exactly. If Mopar makes a tailgate reinforcement bracket, which, obviously is to accomodate a bigger spare, and this bracket is also, obviously added weight, then all this is pointless if the original spare tire is riiiiiight on the limit to begin with...

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
The wording in the owners manual is pretty clear, it literally says “including the weight of the spare tire”

C3CB1D3B-E1BB-4B97-8E61-EE19AE7F6F7E.png
Logically and grammatically I think this is not clear, or perhaps, cear as mud. The last part is what throws me. It’s like saying “if you put a roof rack on your car it cannot exceed gross weight of 1000 pounds, including your car”.

On second thought, it’s the first part that throws me. It’s debatable what the word “it” is referring to. Is the word “it” referring to the accessories or is it referring to the spare tire mounted carrier?

Last edited:

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
The wording in the owners manual is pretty clear, it literally says “including the weight of the spare tire”

Guys, this is the answer. Not sure why the confusion. The max on the stock rear hinges and carrier is 85lbs. Period.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU

According to this statement, the tailgate is not limited to 85lbs but the tire carrier itself - not the hinges or tailgate. This also includes the weight of the carrier itself (stating "gross" weight). If this is correct then the hinges are not the weak point but the tailgate sheet itself. This would explain why Jeep/Mopar feels their reinforcement is sufficient.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I question whether they were using the correct tire bumpstops on the carrier after going to that set-up prior to installing the ExpeOne.
Sponsored