Sponsored

Is Stellantis Taking the Subscription Route Off-Road

Would you want subscription based functionality in your Jeep?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sure

• Nah

• Total voters

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Came across this article the other day from multiple outlets.

How Stellantis plans to make $22.5B a year from software in its cars, trucks and SUVs

I know they’re not the first, and certainly won’t be the last, but I am not a fan of these types of subscription-based car functionality moneygrabs taking place in the industry.

It’s one thing when it’s for stuff like Sirius Guardian or XM Sirius Satellite Radio; it’s a completely other thing when it’s $9.99 a month for heated steering wheel and seats ($100 for a year subscription), or $1.99 a month for A/C. Granted, they haven’t listed what will need subscriptions, but it is clear this is how the industry is moving forward (I know BMW announced these types of subscriptions last year though I don’t know if they’re active or not).

My biggest gripe is that an owner never really owns the vehicle with its accessories with subscriptions. I know on Teslas, if the original owner buys upgraded software packages, for example autopilot, when that owner goes to sell their Tesla, the software package is not transferable to the new owner in which case either the owner loses what they paid or the new buyer pays twice - once within the higher priced sale of the car with the added software (which Tesla will turn off remotely) and again when they register an account with Tesla and repurchase it. Even then, that’s a flat price, not a monthly subscription. In that sense, all vehicles become base models and their value can only be evaluated from there.

Subscribe for digitally enabled…
Heated seats
Phone docking
4H
4L
A/C
Premium sound
Proximity locks
Navigation
Garage door opener
Etc

We’ll need a build sheet for mods and subs if it comes to that!
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If all of these Options are in the base vehicle, only awaiting the " Open $aysme " of a paid Subscription, Hacking will be right in step with this.

OP
OP

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If all of these Options are in the base vehicle, only awaiting the " Open $aysme " of a paid Subscription, Hacking will be right in step with this.
I was wondering about this as well. What’s to stop a person from engaging them on their own and cutting off the remote access to the mother Stellantis ship?

Also, what happens if you miss a payment?

“We’re very sorry you had an accident in your Jeep, Mr Anderson. As you can see, you did not pay your monthly fee for heated seats, hill descent, and 4WD so we terminated these services. We were unaware at the time that you were descending a mountain pass in the middle of a snow storm. Wish you a speedy recovery”

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The information we are supplying THEM through the vehicles connectivity systems ( in-cab cameras coming soon ) is WORTH MORE THAN THE VEHICLE. The manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank; not only do we pay outrageous prices for the vehicle, we then GIVE THEM priceless DATA. GIVE what would cost billions if not freely given.
PT Barnum was right.
Sponsored