Sponsored

Is Stellantis going to have to Cut Corners?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Every v6 tachometer prior to 2023 was 6,500 RPM and had red accents for the Rubicon that matched the red dash instead of the standard orange. Not the end of the world, but just further evidence of penny-pinching and cutting corners on a $50k+ vehicle.

1693336964721.png
Ahh, gotcha.

Didn't realize they only have one tachometer for the 2.0/3.6 now.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD

BrianUNC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Anvil 4XE
I yield to no one in my dislike of clickbait, but the linked reel deserves fair credit for getting straight to the point with its unambiguous demonstration of dodgy interior build quality (and on a comically expensive 392, no less.) I then tested it myself for validation.
Same with build quality on mine - solid in just about all spots on the interior. My question is more are all the 24's that much worse than my '18 and your '21.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

This is all purely about profit and nothing else. If they scream that its not economical, then they can use that as an excuse to reduce engineering cost, reduce production cost, increase price, and ensure that their executives can each get the newest Jet of the year...

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think that they should just pit out a $275,000 jeep. The Jeep Rubicon Platinum Edition. Totally lines up with their genius marketing plan to move the Jeep brand Into the Uber-luxury segment.

yah, that will fix their profit problems. For sure.

Fgonzal2

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4XE High Altitude
I honestly don't know how they can consider cutting corners. I was considering a hybrid Volvo, which was about 5k cheaper and exponentially better quality. You cannot be selling vehicle at this range only for the crude American refinement to trickle back to crude. Nobody will pay 55k just for a lower-end range hybrid.
Coming from a Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV I can say the quality is leaps and bounds above our “Top of the line” High Altitude Wrangler 4xe. Don’t get me wrong I love the wrangler but the quality just isn’t there. From the dreaded “turtle” light the first week of ownership to it now being in the shop for 3 weeks with a completely dead AC. I had high hopes but you can tell Jeep has already began to cut corners, I mean half of my fuses weren’t seated property. With the Volvo the only time it went to the dealer was for the complementary oil changes and tire rotations.

Sponsored

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
You make a good point. Maybe @Tncdrew would still get a newish, complicated vehicle. But instead of from Jeep it would be from a manufacturer that's better skilled at building complicated vehicles? The running consensus on the forum (not me personally) is that Jeep sucks at technology.
I'm not at all against new tech/more complex modern vehicles. It's just I prefer "Simple" in my Jeep, which is purely an extra fun "toy" at this point in my life....... Simple, like my '83 CJ-7.
But hey, I bought the the '22, so that's on me 😉

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
What flavor of 3 wheely? Curious sidecar owner here. :)
These Qualify ? Weren’t very off road capable, even on road quick maneuvers could get interesting. ( no pic of the 40 W-side car attached) 😊
Jeep Wrangler JL Is Stellantis going to have to Cut Corners? 5B18CBEE-0FE7-4201-9F0B-72A1D3BE219E
Jeep Wrangler JL Is Stellantis going to have to Cut Corners? 41336097-A232-46BD-B22F-6ECE3F55A8BB

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
It's clear from this video that EV is an uphill battle, and I suspect if Stellanits wants to remain in the market for EV they will have to cut corners if they don't intend on raising prices.

Jeep CEO Shocks All EV Car Makers!
Consider they just adopted CARB, and only sell EV's in 15 US States, they'll make their money on EV.

pfletcher229648

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR w/SOT, 2024 JLUR X w/SOT(On Order)
Occupation
CIO
I dig what you're saying about cash cows and such, but the CEO of Jeep is actually Christian Meunier. The CEO of Stellantis is Carlos Tavares, a Portuguese businessman.

What flavor of 3 wheely? Curious sidecar owner here. :)
I think the 3 wheel Polaris Slingshot looks like a freakin blast to drive.

IMG_9488.jpeg

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
This article made me think of something different.

I wonder if maybe vehicle sales are increasing across the board so that companies can sell EV vehicles at a lower cost?

I'm sure that question kind of speaks for itself, but as the more defined thought. What if each manufacturer didn't increase the cost of all the other models, only priced out the EV models at their actual cost+? You might still be able to get a four-door Wrangler for $35,000. However that crappy EV that has no luxury inside, that will cost you $70,000 starting.. EV Hummer? $350,000!! 🤣🤣🤣

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I think the 3 wheel Polaris Slingshot looks like a freakin blast to drive.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is Stellantis going to have to Cut Corners? IMG_9488
Ah. That was my guess, but I wanted to ask.

My neighbor's son owns one, so I've had an up-close view several times now. The best I can say here is, uh, to each their own. :)

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Going to?

Jeep Wrangler JL Is Stellantis going to have to Cut Corners? john-jonah-jameson-lol

Reactions: AFD

pfletcher229648

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR w/SOT, 2024 JLUR X w/SOT(On Order)
Occupation
CIO
Ah. That was my guess, but I wanted to ask.

My neighbor's son owns one, so I've had an up-close view several times now. The best I can say here is, uh, to each their own. :)
In all honesty, I’d buy a mid-engine Corvette except for the fact that I would fit the stereotypical owner to a T, and would probably lose my license in the first month of ownership.

I like the Jeep cause it encourages me to go slow and go over things nice and easy, and there’s very little chance of me losing my front bumper to an over zealous curb.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
In all honesty, I’d buy a mid-engine Corvette except for the fact that I would fit the stereotypical owner to a T, and would probably lose my license in the first month of ownership.

I like the Jeep cause it encourages me to go slow and go over things nice and easy...
I understand completely. I traded a light-speed Kawasaki because it was only a matter of time until I ended up in a cell or a box. Its replacement has inoculated me pretty well against such concerns, lol.
Sponsored