TheMountaineer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Hey guys,
I’ve been searching around for months and finally found a rubicon that has all the features I want except it has a standard soft top. I live in PA so I will obviously be driving in winter. I do have a garage so it won’t be sitting outside in the snow all the time. My question is, is the standard soft top a deal breaker? Will it survive PA winters?

thanks for any advice you may have. This will be my first Jeep.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey guys,
I’ve been searching around for months and finally found a rubicon that has all the features I want except it has a standard soft top. I live in PA so I will obviously be driving in winter. I do have a garage so it won’t be sitting outside in the snow all the time. My question is, is the standard soft top a deal breaker? Will it survive PA winters?

thanks for any advice you may have. This will be my first Jeep.
Bias: I own Dual Tops, which means my soft top is not only premium, but I don't use it in winter.

I did use my Bestop Sunrider in place of the Freedom Panels and the rear portion of my hard top last winter and it was fine: then again we had no snow where I live.

Technically, Kevin @Notorious I believe is correct, but soft top use in winter snow comes with the caveat that the snow not be removed from the top (premium or basic,) especially the windows, by physical methods over interior heat..be that generated by the vehicle (and Wranglers are known for strong heating systems) or an space heater connected to home A/C and placed in the vehicle prior to driving off to melt the snow. Windows can easily crack or scratch if such things are attempted.

Seeing out the back window, while I recommend, may not prevent the vehicle from being street legal given the dual side mirrors. You can also turn on the rear view camera for about 8 second intervals as per factory features, or have it run continually with purchase of a JL Tazer.

Blades

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
I have the standard soft top and it's been through 2 West Michigan winters (plenty of lake effect snow) and have had no issues. I actually think the standard soft top looks better.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Only problem with a soft top is cleaning snow/ice off, especially windows. You have a garage so if the rest is what you want and a good deal, go for it!

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A soft top may not be a deal breaker if you live in California, Nevada or Arizona, but it should be a deal breaker in a state that gets its share of winter.

The soft top does not have a rear wiper/washer or a defogger. Trying to see through the back curtain in the rain is pointless. Don’t ask how I know.

I wouldn’t do it if I were you. Chances are you will get that Rubicon and in six months realize you need a hardtop. Your dealer will quote you $2,000-$3,000. You then check Craigslist only to find out that people want a LOT of money for their used, scratched up top, and they live far; no one wants to ship you a top. And then you need to buy the switches for the rear wiper and defogger, and pass the electrical wiring and the fluid line for the squirter.

Also, lifting the rear glass hatch is much easier and convenient than unclipping, unzipping and pulling up the rear curtain. Especially, when you have your hands busy with groceries.

And then there’s the element of security. Or lack thereof...

Yes, you can probably live with a soft top in PA. But the fact that you are on here asking the question suggests that you will regret it once winter comes.

Last edited:

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep only came with a soft top and I survived a PA winter with it with no problems at all. I bought a hard top because I wanted a Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform and rtt, but if those weren't things I was planning on buying, I would probably still be rocking the soft top year round. I have a garage also. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Last time with our JK we bought it with a hardtop and added the soft. This time on the JL we ordered only soft. The premium soft top is worth it to me and may be a dealbreaker.

LadySapphy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL SportS
YJ, TJ, now the JL. All soft tops all central Ohio winters, all parked outside. Not a big deal, back curtain can suck once you get to about 0. I prefer the standard over the premium personally. 100% recommend using the Bestop Care kit 5 or 6 times a year, say March - Oct
Sponsored