Sponsored

Is spare tire required at off-road parks?

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I’m trying to decide if to (A) mount my 37” KM3 tire on my Jeep (via bumper tire carrier or tailgate reinforcement), OR (B) leave the spare at home and delete carrier from tailgate and keep in Jeep a tire hole fix kit.

The key question is if off-road parks require a spare to use the trails? Such as Rauch Creek and Coal Mountain in PA and others in NY, VA, etc. States around NJ.

I have Mud Terrain tires (KM3).

For my last Jeep JK of 13 years on 37” KM3s I kept spare at home and NEVER needed it (knock on wood). It was my daily driver and used off road occasionally. I loved the visibility out back with no carrier/spare in back.

From what I read online it sounds like none of the tailgate reinforcement kits actually prevent tailgate sag so that option is out.

I hear that bumpers with tire carriers rattle. Do any brand not rattle? AEV, Warn, ARB? I am not eager to loose visibility and ease of access out back after getting used to no spare for 13 years.

Assuming mud terrain tires (3 ply sidewalls, aggressive thick tread), light off-roading (blue, green) occasionally, and mostly street use, do I really need to carry my spare?

Anybody with mud terrain ever need their spare? Tell your story?
Sponsored

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
My old Jeep with no spare. Loved the visibility out back. Never needed spare in 13 years.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? E0C56102-F20C-44E0-842B-E82D3343324D

New Jeep. 3.5” lift and 37” KM3s going on soon. Having hard time deciding between carrying spare or not in back.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? 8F0A1258-83AE-4D08-99F1-3E24C3463B00

Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? AA14F9CF-30FB-4D37-9040-C48D17FFE0F1

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
There are body-mounted options for spare mounting. DV8 makes a tub mounted cage, and Maximus-3 makes a body-mounted carrier that operates in sync with your tailgate but moves the weight to the hinges. I’m on 39” KM-3’s with the Maximus-3 option and it has been great.
I think you’d be fine without a spare, especially if in a group to help run home for your spare if it’s THAT bad. However, we’re right until we’re wrong.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
I hear that bumpers with tire carriers rattle. Do any brand not rattle? AEV, Warn, ARB? I am not eager to loose visibility and ease of access out back after getting used to no spare for 13 years.
I’m still waiting on my JLURD to come in, I’m going to try teraflex tailgate reinforcement (unless I go AEV).
Already orderd their adjustable tire carrier.

On my wife’s jk I had the AEV bumper and tire carrier. It was a very solid tire carrier never rattled. I like how it offset the tire to the passenger side to give you more room to grab the door handle. I would have just gone AEV but I ordered the steel bumper group for some reason lol. May sell them though and go for AEV.
Ive never carried a spare tire for my cattle trailer for over 8 years, the first time I carried a spare tire on that trailer i blew a tire, lol go figure. I never run tires older than 4 years and a always checked tire pressure before every trip.

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
There are body-mounted options for spare mounting. DV8 makes a tub mounted cage, and Maximus-3 makes a body-mounted carrier that operates in sync with your tailgate but moves the weight to the hinges. I’m on 39” KM-3’s with the Maximus-3 option and it has been great.
I think you’d be fine without a spare, especially if in a group to help run home for your spare if it’s THAT bad. However, we’re right until we’re wrong.
Is this the Maximus-3 tire carrier you have? How long have you had it? No sagging of tailgate?
Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? Maximus-tire-carrier

This DV8 is not really my taste, and it doesn't look like a tow hitch bike rack would fit with it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? dv8-tire-carrier

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Is this the Maximus-3 tire carrier you have? How long have you had it? No sagging of tailgate?
Maximus-tire-carrier.png

This DV8 is not really my taste, and it doesn't look like a tow hitch bike rack would fit with it.
dv8-tire-carrier.jpg
That looks correct. I originally planned on the DV8, but when I found the Maximus I went straight for it. There's no sagging because it replaces the hinges. The tailgate and carrier mount to the tub on separate hinge points on the same bracket. The tubing you see places all the weight on the tub (with an optional reinforcement bracket I use). There is a single adjustable eye bolt holding the carrier to the tailgate to keep both synchronized (so no releasing the carrier in order to open the tailgate). That eye bolt carries no weight. I felt stupid when my tailgate didn't align and I re-hoisted my spare just to find out there was no weight on the tailgate when I loosened it to re-align it. It slid up and down with no effort.
FYSA, the Maximus-3 is not centered. Some people don't like this, so be aware if you think you might be one. I think they're silly, but being centered is more important to some people than the capability of the carrier. It adjust in 2 axis's. In/out, and up/down.
I've had it installed about 3 months now, no sagging or rattling. I know none will develop either, and if you choose it you'll see why once it is installed. Everyone that gets a chance to examine it loves it and says they'll buy one if they upgrade to 37" plus, or if they have any issues with their current setup.
Edit to add photos.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? 1990082D-A3F4-4E24-A83D-951F1B5DEE27

Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? F21C4879-4B5F-4ABA-BB06-EE747AADA915

Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? BC98A593-70FF-4EF7-854B-B591C2B76D18

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I’m still waiting on my JLURD to come in, I’m going to try teraflex tailgate reinforcement (unless I go AEV).
Already orderd their adjustable tire carrier.

On my wife’s jk I had the AEV bumper and tire carrier. It was a very solid tire carrier never rattled. I like how it offset the tire to the passenger side to give you more room to grab the door handle. I would have just gone AEV but I ordered the steel bumper group for some reason lol. May sell them though and go for AEV.
Ive never carried a spare tire for my cattle trailer for over 8 years, the first time I carried a spare tire on that trailer i blew a tire, lol go figure. I never run tires older than 4 years and a always checked tire pressure before every trip.
Interesting option... the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier and reinforcement... I like how the 3rd brake light is in the center of tire and not above the tire (not shown below), because it makes me think maybe while driving locally I can drive without the spare... it doesn't look too bad without the spare and the 3rd brake light is not up high where it would block my rear view when not carrying the spare. The question is will the tailgate sag over time.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? teraflex-reinforcement-and-mount
Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? teraflex-reinforcement-and-mount-2

Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? teraflex-reinforcement-and-mount-3

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I've been wondering if I needed to either upgrade my hinges or stop carrying a spare since I upgraded to 35's. Just came across this video. See what he shows and says starting at about 9:50.

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
That looks correct. I originally planned on the DV8, but when I found the Maximus I went straight for it. There's no sagging because it replaces the hinges. The tailgate and carrier mount to the tub on separate hinge points on the same bracket. The tubing you see places all the weight on the tub (with an optional reinforcement bracket I use). There is a single adjustable eye bolt holding the carrier to the tailgate to keep both synchronized (so no releasing the carrier in order to open the tailgate). That eye bolt carries no weight. I felt stupid when my tailgate didn't align and I re-hoisted my spare just to find out there was no weight on the tailgate when I loosened it to re-align it. It slid up and down with no effort.
FYSA, the Maximus-3 is not centered. Some people don't like this, so be aware if you think you might be one. I think they're silly, but being centered is more important to some people than the capability of the carrier. It adjust in 2 axis's. In/out, and up/down.
I've had it installed about 3 months now, no sagging or rattling. I know none will develop either, and if you choose it you'll see why once it is installed. Everyone that gets a chance to examine it loves it and says they'll buy one if they upgrade to 37" plus, or if they have any issues with their current setup.
Edit to add photos.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is spare tire required at off-road parks? teraflex-reinforcement-and-mount-3
It doesn't look bad without the spare on either... I like it. It's just that in my state I need a 3rd brake light to stay legal and it sticks up way high.

I wonder if the reinforcement (with optional bracket) of the Maximus-3 is stronger than the Teraflex Alpha? I believe both bolt to the tub.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
It doesn't look bad without the spare on either... I like it. It's just that in my state I need a 3rd brake light to stay legal and it sticks up way high.

I wonder if the reinforcement (with optional bracket) of the Maximus-3 is stronger than the Teraflex Alpha? I believe both bolt to the tub.
The Maximus kit has a mast for the 3rd light. Mine barely clears on a 39, so you should be good on a 37. My kit came with the wrong mast, but it was corrected after the photos were taken.

Sponsored

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting option... the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier and reinforcement... I like how the 3rd brake light is in the center of tire and not above the tire (not shown below), because it makes me think maybe while driving locally I can drive without the spare... it doesn't look too bad without the spare and the 3rd brake light is not up high where it would block my rear view when not carrying the spare. The question is will the tailgate sag over time.

This is the system I will be going with. The gate shouldn't sag, as the Teraflex replaces the hinges and the gate then doesn't support the spare, rather the tire carrier supports the gate and the tire at the hinges.

They (Teraflex) are estimating that it will be available again on October.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Rausch requires a full size spare though i never seen this enforced

https://www.rc4x4.org/rules

that being said just run a spare, sure greens there are just a dirt road and blues are a walking the park for a stock jl rubicon and with 37s they are a joke but if you do blow a tire not only have you ruined your weekend but your have ruined the weekend of your groups and if you are clogging the trail then you ruined the weekend of everyone that wants to use that trail

if you are worried about tail gate sag just dont run the spare around town and put it on for the trails

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
I don’t know about sag over time but when they align the tailgate they have to do so with the weight of the tire/wheel combo in mind. If you set it up for the spare tire and then run without a spare I would think the tailgate would be high on the drivers side by about 1/4” -3/8”.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
How was the install?
Install was good. The one tip I have is get a helper when you mount the new hinges. I did it myself, but I think I cross threaded some bolts when trying to balance the weight. The tub brace clamped it back down straight, but it bugs me I messed it up out of stubbornness.
Sponsored

Reactions: DHW