Sponsored

Is Soft Top Lack of Security a Farce?

Have you had items stolen from your Wrangler when the soft top was on?

• Total voters

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
In Chicago the odds of getting a soft top slashed is highly probable. I highly recommend leaving nothing in the Wrangler and leaving the doors unlocked in a attempt to discourage slashing the plastic windows. Had a soft top with half doors on my '97 TJ. It was slashed a couple of times. First time they slashed the plastic window and stole the radio. I started leaving the doors unlocked after that. Someone did not bother trying the door and slashed the back window the second time. Nothing was stolen that time because there was nothing to steal. There were other times someone opened the doors and went through the TJ but did not take anything. In addition the back windows and half door windows were stolen. I finally got fed up with the thieves and installed a hard top. Not a singe theft attempt or break in after the hard top. My '15 JK had a hard top and not a single break in. My '19 JLR has a hard top and not a single break in.
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
If someone wants in your car, they’ll get in. Softor hard, they’ll get in.

Although this is true, I still believe it’s much less likely in a hard top. Breaking a window is not that easy and usually very noisy compared to silently cutting a soft top or soft window.

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
When I first got my soft top JL it was kept locked everywhere I parked except for in my driveway. It was a bit of a pain, as it doesn't have power door locks (or power anything, really), but I was diligent and paranoid about keeping it "secure". Then a co-worker with a JK, who learned the hard way and had the soft top on hers slashed twice, told me I'm better off to leave it unlocked and to not keep anything of value in it. It made sense, so I followed her advice. That was over 6 months ago and I haven't had any incidents, even when parking in a mall parking lot with the top down. This is likely due to the area I live in and I'd like to think the Veteran plates also help, but if it ever is the target of attempted theft I'm hoping they'll leave the soft top alone and be happy with just a few coins and the USB stick with my playlist.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
In one of the apartment complexes that I lived in, I caught my neighbor urinating on one of my neighbor’s brand new vehicle. he then decided, “to hell with it” and made the decision to urinate on my other neighbor’s new vehicle and then on mine... he zipped up as he realized that I was in it.

This was a man in his early fifties with HS children living in his home. Needless to say, he knew better but made a poor mental decision and then chose to act on it.

Mind you, I had Just ended a shift, was still in uniform, kept calm, played it by the book and when I was finished, he literally shit himself.

My neighbors came home a bit later and I explained to them what had happened, what I had witnessed and the action I had taken against him. My lease was almost up as was theirs and I didn’t stay long at that complex much longer after that incident. Sometimes people are horrible beings.
Ok, this is unbelievable ! People peeing in jeeps. Im surprised Seinfeld didnt pickup on this ! I can see him telling George and Elaine, as he points to his neighbor in the hallway, " that guy is a Urinator "

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If someone wants in your car, they’ll get in. Softor hard, they’ll get in.

Although this is true, I still believe it’s much less likely in a hard top. Breaking a window is not that easy and usually very noisy compared to silently cutting a soft top or soft window.
I agree. It's true someone wants in they will get in.

The key is to not tempt them with a easy target. A soft top is just too tempting and easy. It's a free lunch for thieves. In reality there is no need to cut a soft top window. The back windows un-zipped in my old TJ. The rear windows in a JL are even easier to remove and steal. Slashing is just easier, faster. The plastic windows cost more then whatever was stolen. I got tired of buying plastic windows.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TPadden

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I agree. It's true someone wants in they will get in. Slashing is just easier, faster. The plastic windows cost more then whatever was stolen. I got tired of buying plastic windows.
Yep, I always left mine unlocked, figured if a thief wanted something they could take it. It didn't matter. At a crowded restaurant slit top. $500 deductible. Latest vehicle - hard top; increased security maybe not, but probably less attractive to unskilled thief.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I was parked at a store. Some thirsty soul reached into my jeep and stole some 24 packs of cola. Top was on, all windows were out so it was a quick grab. Didn't bother me. If you're worried get something to cover the back cargo area ( which I did on 1 of my 4 doors )... I always lock my glove box and console... I have also fond the under the seat lock boxes and after market metal locking console in past jeeps. In my current 2 door I like the top down which hides what I have bought in the back cargo area. If the tops up then I just hope no one cuts it to gain entry. Its a jeep. If you really want my groceries or my bikini then take it... JUST DONT TAKE MY JEEP!
I don't feel people really break into jeeps bc no one really expects a lot of pricey stuff to be just laying around in there. And who wants to hurt a jeeper,? We are just cool laid back people.
In conclusion
I do not and will not worry abt soft top theft. 8 jeeps over my driving life time in Florida and all I have lost is some dr. Peppers.

I DID HAVE A FOOL TRY AND JUMP IN MY JEEP AT A STOP LIGHT! How crazy is that? Right thru the passenger "window" area in a YJ. He didn't make it in past his waist and after I kinda punched him in the face he wiggled back out... I wasn't trying to punch him, instinct made me reach out to stop him and I had one of those old cell bag phones and the phone was in my hand talking to my wonderful dad .. so i reached out and hit him in the face really. He changed his mind. Insane afternoon! Dad traded in that jeep real quick. I waited a year. Then I got another one.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was parked at a store. Some thirsty soul reached into my jeep and stole some 24 packs of cola. Top was on, all windows were out so it was a quick grab. Didn't bother me. If you're worried get something to cover the back cargo area ( which I did on 1 of my 4 doors )... I always lock my glove box and console... I have also fond the under the seat lock boxes and after market metal locking console in past jeeps. In my current 2 door I like the top down which hides what I have bought in the back cargo area. If the tops up then I just hope no one cuts it to gain entry. Its a jeep. If you really want my groceries or my bikini then take it... JUST DONT TAKE MY JEEP!
I don't feel people really break into jeeps bc no one really expects a lot of pricey stuff to be just laying around in there. And who wants to hurt a jeeper,? We are just cool laid back people.
In conclusion
I do not and will not worry abt soft top theft. 8 jeeps over my driving life time in Florida and all I have lost is some dr. Peppers.

I DID HAVE A FOOL TRY AND JUMP IN MY JEEP AT A STOP LIGHT! How crazy is that? Right thru the passenger "window" area in a YJ. He didn't make it in past his waist and after I kinda punched him in the face he wiggled back out... I wasn't trying to punch him, instinct made me reach out to stop him and I had one of those old cell bag phones and the phone was in my hand talking to my wonderful dad .. so i reached out and hit him in the face really. He changed his mind. Insane afternoon! Dad traded in that jeep real quick. I waited a year. Then I got another one.
It's a lot better idea to not lock the glove box or console. I made the mistake of locking the glove and console once. Someone pried and tore up both getting into them. The damaged they caused cost more then what was inside.

The metal locking under seat and console boxes are a way better option. I also had a locking cover for the cargo area that worked great.

Good for you and your instincts and reflexes when someone tried jumping in. Good you were not injured. He was probably trying to grab a purse of the phone bag you were on. Next time grab him by this hair and step on the gas. lol.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
It's a lot better idea to not lock the glove box or console. I made the mistake of locking the glove and console once. Someone pried and tore up both getting into them. The damaged they caused cost more then what was inside.

The metal locking under seat and console boxes are a way better option. I also had a locking cover for the cargo area that worked great.

Good for you and your instincts and reflexes when someone tried jumping in. Good you were not injured. He was probably trying to grab a purse of the phone bag you were on. Next time grab him by this hair and step on the gas. lol.
So you might understand my concept of not locking the doors at particular times bc I rather someone open the door to steal than slash my top!!!! I just figure if the glove or console is locked they might attract attention forcing it to open... but it is weird that I lock up lip gloss and sun glasses....

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you might understand my concept of not locking the doors at particular times bc I rather someone open the door to steal than slash my top!!!! I just figure if the glove or console is locked they might attract attention forcing it to open... but it is weird that I lock up lip gloss and sun glasses....
Totally understand the concept of leaving everything unlocked to prevent damage from thieves. Unfortunately one the thieves that got me was total noob dumb ass. Dumb ass still slashed my half door zippered plastic side windows of my TJ even though doors were unlocked. All it took was a little extra effort to try the door first, but nooo, dumb ass had to cut.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know if there is a good locking metal box for under the seat or console for the JL yet? I think I have read about them? Anyone actually buy and use them yet and would you recommend it?

This is a great idea for smaller valuables if you have the tow hitch. It's pretty discreet. You can even place your FOB inside a good faraday bag so the signal is blocked and lock it inside. It's great for the beach, hikes or anyplace you don't want to have your keys, FOB, etc with you.

https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7000T-HS7000-Key-Vault/dp/B000I66JEM

http://hitchsafe.com/

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the discussions about security and the soft top in other threads, please indicate whether you have first hand experience with lack of security of the soft top.

For example, people cite security as a reason for getting a hard top, but people may be curious as to whether there actually is a security issue with the soft top.

Note that answers to this poll and opinions will still not conclusively decide the issue. For example, people who use the hard top may have indeed prevented a loss that would have otherwise occurred if they had a soft top, but we will never know in most instances. Also, people who have had things stolen from a soft top by compromising the soft top still may have had things stolen even if they used the hard top by breaking a window or otherwise breaking into the Wrangler, as other non-convertible cars get broken into despite not having a soft top.

Personally, over 25 years, I have had two minor thefts from my Wranglers when the soft top was on, but not due to the soft top being on. In both instances, I left the doors unlocked, so it is unknown whether the hard top would have prevented the thefts. In one instance, an iPod was locked in the stock glove box and someone broke into it and stole the iPod. In another instance, a Kenwood stereo was in an aftermarket locking metal center console, and the thief really went to town destroying console to get the stereo.

Both instances are inconclusive regarding the soft top, but the second one illustrates that even aftermarket security options will not stop a determined thief.
Demographics probably have a lot to do with the poll results.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is really just locale/city/luck dependent. Personally I live downtown where cars are broken into, stolen, or have their wheels stolen (caddies and chevies) all the time so I never leave my jeep outside with the top off/soft top on. I remember people used to love slashing s2000 roofs and trashing them or stealing their seats. I'm paranoid someone will take my doors off one day.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Unfortunately, I say with complete frustration over the common law basis of this fact, had the invader to your vehicle instead tried this in your residence, succeeded, and then slipped and fell on a, say, wet floor, true, he'd be under arrest for trespassing, but also true, he could likely sue you for his injuries--even though your killing him with a deliberate gunshot would likely be justified!

Additionally, methods of security that cannot discriminate friend from foe (e.g. the marbles you deliberately leave on the floor to have the intruder do a "Home Alone" flip) have law that says that its illegal (Prentice Rasheed's electric fence.)

~~~~~~~~~~

All this said, isn't the soft top's slicing, and its inability to trigger audible alarms, somewhat--if only very little-- less of a deterrent than other methods of break in that might trigger an alarm--for all the "smash and go" addict and public care?

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I had a soft top slashed on a TJ. Cut the driver side rear window, tried to reach in to unlock it but they were too short or something because they then unzipped the window. Stole a $40 walmart stereo out of the dash. I forget what it cost to fix the top, but an upholstery company was able to sew in a new window, looked good as new and never had an issue. I've also had sedans broken into three or four times, so I wouldn't say a hard top is anymore secure.

The only time I've had someone mess with the Jeep (that I know of) when the top was off it was some church group laid a flyer just perfectly against the gear shifter. My biggest fears when the Jeep has the top and doors off: 1) kids playing in it and kicking the manual transmission out of gear and it rolling away, 2) someone breaking the glovebox/center console to find out I have nothing in it (I leave them unlocked for this reason) 3) when parked at a bar I worry about a drunk puking in it, 4) I have a stupid fear of some animal shitting/pissing it. In my view either top addresses all of these just fine. I really don't think either top is a deterrence to thieves so I wouldn't let it factor in to your decision. I have a hard top simply because I like having the rear defrost and wiper. Also it's a lot easier to get a soft top after the fact. Aftermarket or used hard tops are more difficult to come by. If I didn't have a garage I think I would probably have gone soft top again.
I wouldn't even want to being to think about a drunk holding on to the roll bars and projectile vomiting all over the seats. hahahah You got me with this one.
Sponsored