First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
After driving my diesel for a while, and reading threads here, I’m not so sure that passive regeneration is all that real. [or, at the very least, it's a rare occurrence]. And, early threads about the diesel dissuaded potential buyers whose driving wasn't robust enough the burn off the soot organically.

I get the impression that sustained driving, pulling a trailer, uphill, at 80mph will barely make a dent in my DPF spot levels.

Has anyone had better luck?

That said, the active regen works like a champ.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I don't recall if I was looking for it when I first starting monitoring soot levels. But I assure you it is not a myth. Running the FBC I have mentioned before in other threads, passive regeneration happens every time the JLURD hits the highway. EVERY TIME.

My 2020 F350 Diesel runs the same additives and I have never seen a passive regen.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Wouldn't you get a message on the dashboard if active regen is occuring? Like "Continue driving" and complete notification?
Or does active regen happens silently? So in that case under what conditions do we get the dashboard messages? So far I haven't seen any messages - with 90% of my miles on the freeway.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Wouldn't you get a message on the dashboard if active regen is occuring? Like "Continue driving" and complete notification?
Or does active regen happens silently? So in that case under what conditions do we get the dashboard messages? So far I haven't seen any messages - with 90% of my miles on the freeway.
I only see an indication of a current active regen on my Scangauge. It says "yes" (or maybe "on") for active regen status and the soot is rapidly dropping. I also appear to have had two aborted active regens, but I didn't see any dashboard warning - neither audible nor visual. The reason I believe that I missed two events is, each time, my Scangauge regen counter went up by 1 regen, but the soot level was still high (although not at 80%).

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should not see any messages at all from a stock JLUD notifying you of a regen in progress. The only time you should see a message is if the system is unhappy. What comes to mind is a situation where you have unknowingly shut down your engine too many times during an active (and therefore incomplete) regeneration cycle.

If you are driving predominantly on the freeway or at any speed say 50mph and above, I would guess a 3.0L diesel driven in that way would mostly likely never have a single diesel exhaust system related issue. An issue could still arise of course, but you are much less likely to have one to begin with. Constant in town driving would be the risky path.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I only see an indication of a current active regen on my Scangauge. It says "yes" (or maybe "on") for active regen status and the soot is rapidly dropping. I also appear to have had two aborted active regens, but I didn't see any dashboard warning - neither audible nor visual. The reason I believe that I missed two events is, each time, my Scangauge regen counter went up by 1 regen, but the soot level was still high (although not at 80%).
Could there be a possibility that Scanguage may be interpreting some passive regenerations also as active regen by any chance. Because it may be monitoring the soot level dropping and interpret it as an active one?

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
After driving my diesel for a while, and reading threads here, I’m not so sure that passive regeneration is all that real. [or, at the very least, it's a rare occurrence]. And, early threads about the diesel dissuaded potential buyers whose driving wasn't robust enough the burn off the soot organically.

I get the impression that sustained driving, pulling a trailer, uphill, at 80mph will barely make a dent in my DPF spot levels.

Has anyone had better luck?

That said, the active regen works like a champ.
I just installed 2 of the Banks Super Gauges as you may remember from another thread. I’ve only seen it read two different things.

“PAS” and “OFF”

Granted I only had them in for a brief time and my Jeep is now at DCD customs until the end of next month getting its makeover...

On the way there I was thinking to myself WTF is this “PAS” on the regen status? And why doesn’t it go off? It was on almost the entire time I was on the highway.

Not sure if you know it or not but our EcoDiesel Jeep’s have an exhaust fuel injector that runs to burn off the soot during a regen cycle.

Alternatively some other diesel motors flood the motor with diesel during a non ignition stroke of the motor to dump UN-burned fuel down the exhaust system to the DPF to raise its temps. The very large downside to that method is it causes a lot of diesel fuel/soot to mix with your engine oil during blow by and is therefore terrible for the motor.

That being said I called the Jeep parts desk at my local dealer and they confirmed we do have an exhaust fuel injector which is great!

I am monitoring all my exhaust temps and turbo inlet and outlet temps on the Banks gauges. I noticed during the “PAS” status on the highway if I hit a grade and put the petal to the metal it resulted in a direct increase in the DPF temp almost instantly. So the exhaust fuel injector was spraying.... I got it up to 1,100* before I had to slow down for a curve. So spray of the exhaust diesel injector during passive regen is directly proportional to the amount of throttle you are applying at the time.

So I’ve never seen mine go into actual “Regen” or “On” status.

Only “PAS” or “OFF” - at least I know what PAS means now. I thought my shit was all fucked up because it was always in regen on the highway. Apparently the passive regen is normal from what others said in this thread.

My guess is your scan gauge either does not read the passive regen’s or if it does it just reads “ON”

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Not sure if you know it or not but our EcoDiesel Jeep’s have an exhaust fuel injector that runs to burn off the soot during a regen cycle.

Alternatively some other diesel motors flood the motor with diesel during a non ignition stroke of the motor to dump UN-burned fuel down the exhaust system to the DPF to raise its temps. The very large downside to that method is it causes a lot of diesel fuel/soot to mix with your engine oil during blow by and is therefore terrible for the motor.

That being said I called the Jeep parts desk at my local dealer and they confirmed we do have an exhaust fuel injector which is great!
Ummmmm.....care to post where you read this about the extra injector? I was just under the truck and looked at the exhaust system from the turbo to the DPF and there is no extra injector. I know certain manufacturers do that, but this is the first I've heard of the FCA 3.0 having one.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ummmmm.....care to post where you read this about the extra injector? I was just under the truck and looked at the exhaust system from the turbo to the DPF and there is no extra injector. I know certain manufacturers do that, but this is the first I've heard of the FCA 3.0 having one.
Might be thinking of a DEF injector.

Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
I called the Jeep parts desk. Asked them if there was a fuel injector in the exhaust system or not (the parts guys aren’t the brightest berry in the bush) and he said why yes there is a part # for the exhaust fuel injector right here.

I didn’t ask for the part # or location of it. Just wanted to know if there was one or not and he confirmed there was which was good enough for me.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Yeah.....I just pulled up the full exhaust system schematic and there is no fuel injector in the exhaust.
It honestly would not surprise me at all if the parts guy I talked to was a complete moron.

If that is the case my apologies for giving bad info. But I did specifically call Jeep and ask about this. In fact think I’ll call again right now...

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Might be thinking of a DEF injector.
Yeah.....I just pulled up the full exhaust system schematic and there is no fuel injector in the exhaust.
Yup just called again. They said there was a diesel fuel injector in the exhaust again.

After going round and round with the parts guy he was confused, and was giving a DEF injector part # (68490022AA) NOT a diesel injector.

So there is no diesel injector on the exhaust - bummer:no:
Sponsored