litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

The minute it's over 15C (sometimes cooler!) and sunny, the roof is opened on mine. Like many, I don't take the doors off daily for security purposes, but I'll take them and the side panels off for the weekends, when the weather is nice.
Sponsored

m(a)ce

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR AEV 2.5/37ā€ KO2s
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? F86B3C0F-B3D1-4A4F-BA1C-285B61112A62

enjoying riding around this week like this ā˜

after battling with TJ and JK softops I gotta say the JL is a piece of cake. itā€™s a clever, functional design. love it.

and while taking the JL doors off require removing a bolt itā€™s a trade off Iā€™ll take in exchange for the lighter weight and easy to disconnect power plugs.

Rain Gear trail cover is on its way so I can run this as much as possible during the summer. šŸ¤ 

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldnā€™t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when youā€™re dead youā€™re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
I am lucky and live in Southern Arizona so my top is down or off depending if I am running the soft top or hard top. The four days ago it was a gorgeous 97Ėš day (4% humidity) and I had the top and windows down and it was spectacular. The last two days have been in the mid 80's and only a couple Jeeps either topless or naked altogether. 100Ėš+ in the middle of the day I like the soft top up to protect my redhead skin from the sun. I will have the soft top up and windows in when the monsoon rains are rolling in come late June, July and August.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
When I first bought the Jeep I thought Iā€™d have it open all the time. Havenā€™t taken the top or doors off in two years. Itā€™s either too hot or too cold. My commute is mostly highway and I feel like Iā€™m just being assaulted by the wind for a half hour. The kids hate it. My wife isnā€™t a fan. We donā€™t do it at the beach because Iā€™m just constantly watching my weather app whenever we drive somewhere. More, I work in Baltimore, the car jacking capital of the world. Itā€™s like the dangers of Afghanistan mixed with the lawlessness of Uganda. Everyoneā€™s in an armored humvee and Iā€™m in a naked wrangler blasting Party in the USA saying ā€œcome get me!ā€

I feel the planets have to be aligned perfectly to make it worth the trouble.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
F86B3C0F-B3D1-4A4F-BA1C-285B61112A62.jpeg

enjoying riding around this week like this ā˜

after battling with TJ and JK softops I gotta say the JL is a piece of cake. itā€™s a clever, functional design. love it.

and while taking the JL doors off require removing a bolt itā€™s a trade off Iā€™ll take in exchange for the lighter weight and easy to disconnect power plugs.

Rain Gear trail cover is on its way so I can run this as much as possible during the summer. šŸ¤ 
NJ did have GREAT weather in the last few days. Nice Jeep.

I just sold my JK with half doors, but I drove it with all sides off as often as I could. Love the open air experience. I always did keep the top on as I appreciate the shade and I really couldnā€™t fold it down because I had a roof rack. Ha ha.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 12D6BEFF-D938-4F20-B10A-AF6248D10D0D
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 1B4ABE57-4549-447A-89F5-648731D73712

Last edited:

Sponsored

jeeptrailrunner

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ JLR 6MT
I made sure that I would get a top that completely folds down for the 2drā€¦.which only seems to be the Mopar top. Coming from a JK it was a weird thing not finding more fold down tops. Yes, the safari top is neat, but just not the same :)

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Lost the cover for the rear pillar last night on the freeway.

make sure the covers are all snug when you take the doors off. replacement is $50 with shipping.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 408AF96F-2212-43C5-87EC-F267D7504906

Last edited:

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
We'll be in the 100's here next week. I love it. I've had the top down all this week.
I might wear a hat.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
The hassle of taking off the hard top isn't worth the time for me. The weather changes so quickly here in Michigan, I'd spend an hour or two every other day dinking around with the top. I'd rather just take off the freedom panels and call it a day.

Also, with this being the dog mobile, I can't bring him anywhere if the top is off.
I installed a couple harnesses in the cargo area and they hook to the d-rings in the floor so that my two pugs can ride in the Jeep with the top and doors off. They love it and cannot get close to the open areas where the doors where.

I bought the IOKHEIRA Dog Seat Belt 3-in-1 Car Harness for Dogs Adjustable Safety Seatbelt and they have been great.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldnā€™t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when youā€™re dead youā€™re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
I had one day in the high 70s and my doors were off with the top down... it dropped to low 60s that night and has been cold ever since. It's in the garage, still doorless, awaiting fairer weather.

Honestly though, with a jacket and the heater on high (top in safari mode), it wasn't that bad doorless in the 60s, even on the highway... it would have been better if I had heated wheel/seats.. or just gloves/hat and wearing jeans instead of shorts. Either way, best day in the Jeep all year!

Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I've set up a rig to get my hard top on or of in 10-15 minutes. I take it off at every opportunity, even if it's only for a day or two. Any temp between 60 and 95 and its go time. A sunshade for the front cuts the desert sun a bit. I have a 25 mile commute to work and cherish every moment of the open air...
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 20210514_171030

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX, Cherokee
There was a parade of Jeep Wranglers driven by High School drivers all around town early this evening (probably a dozen or more). All of which had every window down and the tops rolled back or completely off. Teenagers seem to know the drill albeit with the doors still on. With the exception of one adventurous adult with doors and tops off, every other wrangler this week has been buttoned up tight. However, the first Wrangler I saw on a military base today had its doors and top completely removed. I was curious if a base would allow a wrangler to drive around without doors.
How in the world does anyone ride a motorcycle if Jeep owners are an indication of concern about the weather that they never take the tops and/or doors off? Motorcycle folks have better weather apps I suppose.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Took the roof/doors off and will not put them back on till its cold. But it helps if you have another vehicle for bad weather days. Not sure how I'm going to feel about it when it hits 95 degrees
Where did you get your tonneau cover? Looks sharp.
Sponsored