No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I live out here in Southern California ride my Motorcycle almost every day. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldn’t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when you’re dead you’re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
I’m with you. I’m in South Jersey. Haven’t had my top or doors on for a week now. A little chilly for the morning commute but it’s only a 20 minute drive and well worth the payoff for the drive home with this weather. I laugh to myself every time I see Jeep with the top on, windows up and most likely A/C running. I buttoned it up for about 20 minutes to get all the pollen off of it then opened it right back up.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I have little use for all the noise, complication, excess weight, degraded safety (e.g. no curtain airbags) that the removable roof brings.

All I want is a capable off-road vehicle with fewer on-road compromises.

My first Jeep was a body on frame solid axle Grand Cherokee with a V8 and incredible comfort (for the time).

I tolerate the JL configuration to have the off-road capability. But a WJ type configuration would be my preference.
Completely agree. I actually have a built WJ currently and have been trying to decide if I'm willing to buy the JL despite its removable roof because I need a solid axle vehicle for offroad capability.

Last edited:

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldn’t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when you’re dead you’re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
lol... I actually took the doors and all off yesterday (and it will probably stay that way until September) That lasted for about 20 min then it rained and got chilly for the rest of the day....... Only thing I can think of is they all new it was going to rain and exercised the restraint that I didn't have.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This isn't just Jeeps it's convertibles in general. That said, I won't bother to take the top off unless we have 4-5 solid days of good weather ahead and that's rare down here in the sub-tropical area we're in. Top comes off as often as possible, it just requires pre-planning.
Do you have a Hard Top or Soft Top?

Soft top: Oh boy its going to rain. Let me pull over and put my top up.

Hard Top: Oh crap they said it wasn't going to rain today. What the F am I going to do now.
I just remembered that last month I did the wind tunnel jeep. Does that count?

I had a buddy in the back seat and was joking that I didn't want his gross germs all over me. So for the ride home, I had the Freedom panels off, windshield down, and tailgate window open. Definitely type II fun for him and the dog at 45mph.
And you probably weren't joking.....

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Cruising about at 35mph on local roads is fantastic. Above 55mph, less so. Above 75mph, better count your belongings at the begining and end of every trip.
I have only owned my jeep for a little over a month and yet to completely take the top off. It Interesting to read the comments about the highway with the top off. I had a Corvette convertible for many years, at 35mph I didn't notice any wind and it wasn't very windy at all at reasonable highways speeds. I was sort of expect the same for Wrangler at least for the front passengers. It must be the aerodynamics.

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have only owned my jeep for a little over a month and yet to completely take the top off. It Interesting to read the comments about the highway with the top off. I had a Corvette convertible for many years, at 35mph I didn't notice any wind and it wasn't very windy at all at reasonable highways speeds. I was sort of expect the same for Wrangler at least for the front passengers. It must be the aerodynamics.
at highway speeds, can become unbearable. i throw a bunch of these Ear Plugs in my jeep, use em if the top is off.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I rarely anymore take the top off and never the doors. Been there done that with my TJs and over it. Just too dang lazy and old these days to fight with putting it all back on let alone the clean up if driven off road.

Now I do enjoy riding in my friend’s Jeeps with their tops and doors off while on road but not off road and eating all the dust and mud kicked up.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU

Sporty-shaped slightly older Jaguar convertable at NJ Turnpike speeds, 75-90mph, no problem. You can even hold a conversation.

Shoebox-shaped Wrangler at equivalent speeds, more buffeting, but also probably more stuff laying about to suddenly discover has not been secured. Just have reasonable expectations.

Windshield down/tailgate open wind tunnel jeep, remember to bring the goggles.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Removable top and doors was never a selling point for me.

Off road, I see no reason to breathe in dust all day long. Do it for a few hours and your nasal passages are caked with dust. So... no thanks.

On road, I like to have a conversation and/or listen to music, and not listen to the road noise and wind.

Sponsored

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I have been driving around with the windows down for months and the freedom top has been off for a few weeks. Its about to be too hot for that though. Black leather + Vegas sun = ouch.

Most of the year I think a soft top with sides off would be great but that extra inch or so of height would be too much for the garage.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I love to keep the top off all summer, but I usually don't make the switch to the soft top here until Memorial Day. This year, because of work commitments, I don't trust leaving my Jeep open in the work parking lot from 6am-9pm for both prying eyes and unexpected weather. So I won't be making the switch to the soft-top until June 9th. Not a big deal...spring on Long Island sucks. We have absolutely beautiful summers, warm and comfortable autumns and mild winters. When it comes to weather, the water is your friend here...except for the spring.

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
They do sell that one-touch power top that is as fixed as you can get.
that is still mostly a soft top with openable capability and a fabric roof. I’m talking true on built into the frame roof that is the same material and build, insulation construction and all as the rest of the car. Like normal cars/suv roofs.