Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldn’t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when you’re dead you’re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
If NY weather has been anything like Ohio this year, people were probably scared of the temp dropping 30 degrees. I haven't been able to ride to work on my motorcycle like at all because even though we may see 70 degree highs, lows are in the low 40s lol.

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
If it’s warm and sunny then my top is down. I wish AC was a add on feature cause I wouldn’t have even added it to my Jeep. I love the open air freedom. I knew a few people that have had a Jeep and never took the top off. Never understood why they didn’t when they could have. To me it’s like going to the Grand Canyon but then staying at the hotel. Your not getting the full experience.

jbal13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I live in SW Florida. I try to keep the top off as much as possible. Today is going to be in the high 80’s or 90’s and the top comes off. It’s just hard during rainy season. I bought a Jeep for the purpose of going top down and doors off.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I’m afraid to take my top down here in nepa cause it’s beautiful one minute then pouring the next or it’s 80 then 30. Plus the pollen is beyond bad right now and my allergies have been in full effect. My wife and myself can hardly function over the past 2 weeks.

Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm the open air type. All I can do is sadly shake my head at the buttoned up Jeeps when the weather is gorgeous as it was this past weekend here in SW FL.
When the weather is iffy, I'll at least have the sunrider flipped back and the windows down.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldn’t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when you’re dead you’re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
Same. We had a 14 hour road trip through the mid Atlantic this weekend. Weather was 70 degrees each way. We saw about a hundred Jeeps, and maybe three of us had tops off. I can understand the hard top owners taking their time given the bigger commitment, but the soft top guys can go on/off in only a few minutes. To each their own, but I was loving it without and would've felt cooped up with it on. Between that and getting stiffed on several Jeep waves, I was feeling more love from the convertible car drivers than fellow jeepers this weekend.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Very interesting question!!!!

My family and I love the Mountains of East TN.

The last several years that we have been there, I have been shocked at the conditions below.

1) Wranglers with hard tops with freedom panels in place and with windows up.
2) Wranglers with soft tops up and windows up.
3) Vehicles with Sunroofs closed.
4) Cars with convertible tops up.

I would safely say that more than 95% of the vehicles we saw had these conditions over the past several years and this is in a tourist area.

I never have understood it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 21C447CE-B6CC-43D6-8A91-E252ADC21825

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 8B7273AD-DCB1-4074-A0A3-73AB88DAE9A5
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 6495441C-EA48-4AD0-8926-B92182B2CF26

A797D629-9041-44B6-8582-DC20250D9134.jpeg

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
We've had our Recon for a little over a year and the top and doors have never been off. Well, I say never but I guess they were off when it was still being built in Toledo. ;) The Freedom panels were off a few times but that's it.

It's my wife's dd and she needs the doors and top on for security reasons where she parks in the city while she's at work. She never has two days in a row off and taking all that stuff off for one day and putting it right back on would be too much of a PITA.

Anyway, if you see someone driving down the road in a Jeep on a nice sunny day with all the doors and top on there might be a reason for it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yea guys I frickin love it. As a matter of fact it started to rain a little in Roscoe NY, I put the 4 ways on pulled over closed up. Drove about 40 miles nice sunny weather, 4 ways, pull over, open up!

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
If it’s warm and sunny then my top is down. I wish AC was a add on feature cause I wouldn’t have even added it to my Jeep. I love the open air freedom. I knew a few people that have had a Jeep and never took the top off. Never understood why they didn’t when they could have. To me it’s like going to the Grand Canyon but then staying at the hotel. Your not getting the full experience.
It IS an add on feature though?

SkanTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
There is not much better than taking the family for ice cream on a sunny day in the Jeep with the top off. Ours was open all weekend.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I had the freedom panels off on Saturday. Had intended to take the whole top off, but we had plans to meet friends friends down from up north, and the wife didn't want her hair blown about.

And much like @jbal13 stated, in rainy season, it's even difficult to plan ahead, since it could rain in the parking spot next to you and not yours, or vice versa, or you could get caught in a downpour that could fill the Jeep 6" deep in 10 minutes. That's SW Florida.
Sponsored