www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

If NY weather has been anything like Ohio this year, people were probably scared of the temp dropping 30 degrees. I haven't been able to ride to work on my motorcycle like at all because even though we may see 70 degree highs, lows are in the low 40s lol.
thats prefect bike weather!. just have to have the correct jacket and gloves!
Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I had a spidertop on my jk, loved it. Had an alien on my last jeep, 2018 JL Sahara, but for whatever reason I like to sit pretty high even though I'm 6ft and in the JL the mesh top is right at my head! Now have a 2021 Sarge Sahara 6sp, I might try another spidertop since it looks like it might sit a bit higher since it rolls over the cage and not in it a bit like the alien...???
I am 6'5" I had to lower my drivers seat to fit. For the JLU the JL Tops shade sits above the bars all around. The Spider Web shade like I had in my JK sat inside of the bars and was lower. That was why i switched for this Jeep.

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX, Cherokee
I understand completely the top off comments - all of them. When I was younger I couldn't get outdoors enough and convertible vehicles were a part of it. Nothing is free; at 76 I've had two melanomas on my scalp that have left me with a couple of craters worthy of a moon landing. So a word of caution to all of the topless - limit the amount of sun exposure. At the least wear a hat and use sun screen. Skin cancer is no fun.
I've often wondered what a short (depends who I stand next to), stocky (working on it...getting stocky that is), slow-witted (somewhat witted), bald man (very much so) should do with respect to convertible wear on their top dome.

One of my requirements if I do in fact get a wrangler is figuring out how not to get melanoma on my scalp. Are there Jeep-rated hats for top and doors off driving? I don't want terrible gas mileage costs to be accompanied by terrible sunscreen costs.

For how many Wranglers I see, I hardly ever see any with the doors off. It is a 70's/80's degrees day today and I saw only one soft top rolled back, but the other dozen plus Wranglers had windows and roofs all buttoned up tight. I had all my car windows down to spite them and enjoyed the breeze, but after a four sneeze hayfever allergy attack, I rolled them all up and cranked the A/C. Couldn't find any George comments for that.

Melanoma is absolutely no joke, though. I have several family members who have had similar surgeries, which is why I need to take precautions.

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I can see not taking the entire hardtop off in many cases, such as if you have a long drive/iffy weather and donā€™t want to do a lot of it wet. However, I saw a Wrangler with the power top completely done up on a 78 degree sunny day. And, like many have posted, most had their freedom panels in place.

Daily driving a Wrangler means some sacrifice ... such as a comfy ride, money in your pocket and good handling. Why do you do that if you arenā€™t going to open it up?

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
The hassle of taking off the hard top isn't worth the time for me. The weather changes so quickly here in Michigan, I'd spend an hour or two every other day dinking around with the top. I'd rather just take off the freedom panels and call it a day.

Also, with this being the dog mobile, I can't bring him anywhere if the top is off.
With a hoist in the garage and a power socket, its trivial to take it on and off within 5 minutes. I can literally have it off after backing under the hoist within the time it takes a song to play, that include the freedom panels too.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
For how many Wranglers I see, I hardly ever see any with the doors off.
Doors need to be carefully stored after being removed. Four doors in particular take up a fair bit of wall or floor space, although good planning can minimize their footprint.

Not everyone will have a garage or other space suited for storing hardtops and/or doors that have been removed.

It's always going to be tempting to press the magic A/C button, too, and I say this as someone who uses the Sunrider feature, or a fully lowered top, at every opportunity.

PA Jeepers who drive doorless risk a citation for doing so; the related language in our Vehicle Code is very plain (and perhaps we're unique in this manner.)

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Very interesting question!!!!

My family and I love the Mountains of East TN.

The last several years that we have been there, I have been shocked at the conditions below.

1) Wranglers with hard tops with freedom panels in place and with windows up.
2) Wranglers with soft tops up and windows up.
3) Vehicles with Sunroofs closed.
4) Cars with convertible tops up.

I would safely say that more than 95% of the vehicles we saw had these conditions over the past several years and this is in a tourist area.

I never have understood it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 20210508_110915
Wow, that thing is beautiful! šŸ˜²

Was that blue a factory option at one time, or did you paint it that color??

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
I've often wondered what a short (depends who I stand next to), stocky (working on it...getting stocky that is), slow-witted (somewhat witted), bald man (very much so) should do with respect to convertible wear on their top dome.

One of my requirements if I do in fact get a wrangler is figuring out how not to get melanoma on my scalp. Are there Jeep-rated hats for top and doors off driving? I don't want terrible gas mileage costs to be accompanied by terrible sunscreen costs.

For how many Wranglers I see, I hardly ever see any with the doors off. It is a 70's/80's degrees day today and I saw only one soft top rolled back, but the other dozen plus Wranglers had windows and roofs all buttoned up tight. I had all my car windows down to spite them and enjoyed the breeze, but after a four sneeze hayfever allergy attack, I rolled them all up and cranked the A/C. Couldn't find any George comments for that.

Melanoma is absolutely no joke, though. I have several family members who have had similar surgeries, which is why I need to take precautions.
Regular ball cap works fine. Only time I ever felt it move is when thereā€™s a lot of crosswind crossing bridges but thatā€™s easily solved by rolling the windows up

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Daily driving a Wrangler means some sacrifice ... such as a comfy ride, money in your pocket and good handling. Why do you do that if you arenā€™t going to open it up?
This is the point I tried to make earlier in this thread but better stated here. As for sun exposure, I definitely get the concern. It still doesn't explain the hermetically sealed Wranglers I see riding around in the early mornings and evenings on warm weather days.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldnā€™t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when youā€™re dead youā€™re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
Here.....from June through September itā€™s this......
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 5846BC8F-0F3A-4864-B1BA-BFD6F925D719

With the occasional this....because a storm can brew up and drench you in a matter of minutes almost no warning . Not to mention itā€™s hot enough to melt your leather seats..šŸ„µ
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? E62A2C45-D088-4715-9F08-21C6BCEAC4BC

But October thru May, itā€™s this, 95 percent of the time......
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? EB2EA677-61C3-4374-92D0-F014272F114C

So for us itā€™s definitely not a dying art, but more a seasonal thing...... šŸ˜Ž

Last edited:

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I am 6'5" I had to lower my drivers seat to fit. For the JLU the JL Tops shade sits above the bars all around. The Spider Web shade like I had in my JK sat inside of the bars and was lower. That was why i switched for this Jeep.
yeah with the spiderballs it would slightly pull the top inside the roll bars a bit. The new spider top attatches over the roll bar and under to nubs on the underside of the bar, I'm thinking that should keep it as high as the top of the roll bar...I think they have a good return policy so might give it a try, send if back if its not to my liking. Of course the wife and kids like it all open, but they aren't in it every day!
Sponsored