Sponsored

Is open Jeep a dying art?

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
Very interesting question!!!!

My family and I love the Mountains of East TN.

The last several years that we have been there, I have been shocked at the conditions below.

1) Wranglers with hard tops with freedom panels in place and with windows up.
2) Wranglers with soft tops up and windows up.
3) Vehicles with Sunroofs closed.
4) Cars with convertible tops up.

I would safely say that more than 95% of the vehicles we saw had these conditions over the past several years and this is in a tourist area.

I never have understood it.

21C447CE-B6CC-43D6-8A91-E252ADC21825.jpeg

8B7273AD-DCB1-4074-A0A3-73AB88DAE9A5.jpeg
6495441C-EA48-4AD0-8926-B92182B2CF26.jpeg

A797D629-9041-44B6-8582-DC20250D9134.jpeg
Awesome setup / what’s holding the flag?
Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldn’t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when you’re dead you’re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
All day every day baby, thanks to myTop 😎

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? IMG_5264
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? IMG_5137
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? IMG_5124
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? IMG_4992
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? IMG_3826
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? IMG_3820
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? IMG_3277 (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? adfsadfadsafsdadsf.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? IMG_2096

I don't even bother to check the weather, because it literally doesn't matter with mytop. It really saddens me to see so many closed up Jeeps on beautiful days, just because they're too lazy to go through all the hassle of dropping a factory top.

Last edited:

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I want to take everything off at least once, just because I can. We really haven't had the weather since I got the Jeep though. I'd want it at least 70 with virtually no chance of rain before I took the back and doors off. That has to line up with a day when I have a helper to assist me lifting the rear top off. This just hasn't happened yet.

Also, come to think of it, I don't guess I will ever take the rear doors off. I don't trust any kind of safety net or doggy seatbelt with my baby princess. If she flew out of the thing and got hurt, I could never live with myself. She's not just a dog, she's always at my side, always smiling, always happy. She's just a true joy, and I love showing her a good time when I take her riding, but I want to keep her safe.

I do take the Freedom Panels off and toss them in the back every chance I get. I have not had the balls to leave it parked at work like that. It's a secure parking lot, but you never know about rain around here.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldn’t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when you’re dead you’re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
This is my beef with every convertible owner. I live in south Georgia, it's top down weather 75% of the year. Hard top Jeeps, I can understand. Everybody else, OPEN IT UP.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Here in Phoenix we are already getting 100° weather. Too hot to go topless. Need the A/c
Agree to disagree. We get 100 here, more humid even. Just need to park in the shade.
If you have the soft top, it's a no brainer. Sarari mode makes it a giant golf cart.

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
here in Delaware it was 78 yesterday at 5pm. at 7:45 it was 61. The freedom panels were off, and it was just a touch chilly on the way home from practice.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Awesome setup / what’s holding the flag?
Thanks. It’s a separate bracket that I purchased from a Jeep Shop in Townsend, TN.The store name is Cades Cove Jeep Outpost.

They are GREAT people. You can find them at....

Cades Cove Jeep Outpost

I checked their online store a few moment ago but I don’t see it on there.

You may be able to reach out to them.

I think they carried options for one, two, and possibly even three flags.

Here is what I have.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 9579CD4D-169B-463E-B1B3-E848773CD98B

ShaunBJeeps

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee X4, 2017 GMC Sierra
The discussion in this thread is exactly why I ordered my jeep like I did. One-touch top & dual door group. 5 days a week, my wife will be DD this thing on the interstate, 20 miles each way. She needs the security & comfort of a fully enclosed SUV. Friday afternoons when she gets home, we'll swap the doors, pop off the rear windows & open the top and be 90% topless. It's the perfect arrangement for us!

Sponsored

MelBCON

First Name
Melford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I took my top off and even got caught in a fast moving shower with the wife and grand daughter. we loved it !!!! turned the heat up and the sun was back out by the time we got home. Open and fresh air is the way to go!!!.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
JL Tops mesh sunshade. It is MUCH cooler under one of those, they make a BIG difference AND you can blast the A/C.

RubyRecon

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Saturday was national topless Jeep day,so I took the Jeep to run some errands. I did not see one other Jeep With the top off?!! I saw about 30 Jeeps and it was a beautiful day here in So. Cal.
I was amazed.

E27A1966-8C99-4F50-8153-FBA1EB944030.jpeg

36D5F011-F335-448D-9E1B-A6F8479EFF61.jpeg

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
JL Tops mesh sunshade. It is MUCH cooler under one of those, they make a BIG difference AND you can blast the A/C.
I had a spidertop on my jk, loved it. Had an alien on my last jeep, 2018 JL Sahara, but for whatever reason I like to sit pretty high even though I'm 6ft and in the JL the mesh top is right at my head! Now have a 2021 Sarge Sahara 6sp, I might try another spidertop since it looks like it might sit a bit higher since it rolls over the cage and not in it a bit like the alien...???
Sponsored