Is open Jeep a dying art?

Mroliver927

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2021 Sahara Unlimited 4xe
I love my JEEP and got it so I could take the top down. I'm in Chicago and will take the top down and put the seat heaters on with heat even at 55 degrees. Everyone has a right to seal up in their JEEP even if it's nice but it does make me shake my head. I even wanted to get more time with the top down so I ordered a Sahara 4xe with the sky one touch. This will allow me time with the top down even with forecast of rain. Just one touch it to close up and I'm good.

Will even get half doors to make the JEEP even more open air.
Sponsored

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
We currently have 4 Jeeps on the hot air balloon team I pilot with. The Gladiator, JK and LJ all are topless right now. Still trying to find a way to get the XJ a little naked but that's gonna take a little more work.

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
One of the primary reasons I bought my JLU softtop was so I can have the top down as much as possible. Life in S Florida. :)

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldn’t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when you’re dead you’re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
I did 18 years in TJ's. I used to regularly run with no top/ doors on nice days/ trail rides, even rain occasionally regardless of where I was going.

Now? If I'm flying solo, I'll still run with the top/ Windows down. Haven't taken the doors off mainly because it's a pain in the ass with the JLUR and I've got no place to really store them. Maybe in a few years when i get some "summer doors". But if I'm on the highway for a long distance? I'm closed up with the AC on. it's just not worth the hit to fuel economy and the droning wind noise (like I said: 18 years in TJ's. I did my time, i'm tenured and don't give a fuck about losing "Jeep points" anymore). Likewise, if I've got my wife/ kids in the Jeep. My wife low-key hates the Jeep (never opens the windows even in her car because she hates her hair being blown around or something I don't know, and gets heat exhaustion/ migraines pretty quick), and while the kids like it, they're not a fan of all the noise/ wind on the highway, and also don't know their limits with summer heat/ sun yet- I don't want to ruin the Jeep for life for them. They'll be more into it as they get older But The doors will always stay on when the kids are in the back, because gods forbid some jackass t-bones us.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I was surprised coming home on the highway from upstate NY back to the city yesterday to see only one other open Jeep and one car with windows open. It was a gorgeous day, temps 75-77 and 99.9% were closed up. I waited 7 months for a weekend day like yesterday and couldn’t wait to open my Jeep.
As I said earlier, I was surprised. I always say to my wife (who hates open Jeep) when you’re dead you’re gonna be in a closed box forever so I wanna enjoy the wind, air, sun now.
Only in the winter, for me. Next weekend the top/doors come off and they won't go back on except during bad weather streaks of more than a couple days.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? org_539dc33debddc9b9_1590453606000

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Only in the winter, for me. Next weekend the top/doors come off and they won't go back on except during bad weather streaks of more than a couple days.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? org_539dc33debddc9b9_1590453606000
Great looking ride. Love the red and looks real sharp with tube doors on :like:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

JeffCj7Jl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7, 2015 4Runner, 2021 JLR
Picked up my Jeep 1 week ago.. Sunday.. freedom panels off, Monday, Sunrider installed when it was in the 50s, Doors off the following Saturday, hard top off for the foreseeable future.. it’s my 3rd wrangler. Getting the top and doors off ASAP is always a priority. There‘s nothing like driving an open Jeep..
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 09C9A3F9-865F-4F5B-A749-ED6C1A41B6DF
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 042155D5-5764-42E2-BF9A-BEC77D675AED
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? A42B2F4E-A488-48DA-95E6-A639D41ABEAA
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? D5BD9B7D-3A27-44B4-B7D1-CCDC54C81209

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
which side mirrors are these? I need to get some, ive been driving around with no mirrors lol
Yes, you definitely want to get mirrors. The first time I pulled my doors I had no mirrors. The worry of changing lanes and hitting another vehicle took the fun out of the drive. I got off the highway, went home and ordered mirrors immediately.
I now have a set attached to my tube doors and a drop in set if I prefer no doors.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase