Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I live in sunny so cal. Most of the jeeps i see are hard tops and its not often you see one with the hard top off and especially naked, though you do see it every now and then.

ive seen a few topless broncos and even a naked bronco.

my own soft top windows have been off for about a month now. Top goes down some times. I need to put the mesh top back on. Id love to fully remove the soft top and just pull in the garage when it rains
Sponsored

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Had both. You can maintain the "luxury" with a premium soft top. Nothing like swinging back the top whenever/wherever u want. IMO a jeep looks much sexier w/out the top box tetris look.. It does however have its advantages. I would have bought an audi if I wanted a hard top

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
For me driving with all sides open gives such a good open air feeling… it’s relaxing, freeing, you enjoy the scenery more while still getting shade overhead. I really enjoy it. Especially when it’s in the 60s or 70s outside. Even when it’s in the 90s as long as I am not dressed up for work or something. It sucks with long clothing, but awesome dressed down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 2CF6593A-4F99-426E-9F75-C67A8549F1EC
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 032FCEFE-CC90-4095-826C-51719FEB4170

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I feel a need to resurrect this thread on this glorious day in the northeast. I just got back from a 20 mile bike ride down the coast and back and saw more than 30 Jeeps, mostly JLs and JKs but a few TJs and CJs. It hit me that all of the older Jeeps and 2 door newer models were rolling open air while the JLUs were buttoned up tight. Not even a cracked window. It’s 75-80 degrees and sunny here, a perfect day really.

It indicates, to me anyway, just how much the profile of the current Jeep buyer has changed. I’m trying not to judge, I guess I just don’t get why one would buy one of these awesome Jeeps if they’re going to ride around in a hermetically sealed vehicle.
No Judgement here either Charlie but I am fascinated how some don't open the Jeep potential. I have neighbors, a husband and wife with Wranglers. They've never once opened their roofs of took off the doors. I wonder when passing them with the naked Jeep if there's any envy. To each their own brother.

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
You would understand it more if you lived in Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia etc… Very Scary driving , parking , shopping with no protection these days.
Good post. The one negative about naked Jeep, if you go to 3 different stores you have to stop home 3 times because there's zero security with naked Jeep.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
No Judgement here either Charlie but I am fascinated how some don't open the Jeep potential. I have neighbors, a husband and wife with Wranglers. They've never once opened their roofs of took off the doors. I wonder when passing them with the naked Jeep if there's any envy. To each their own brother.
Conversely, especially here in CA, the majority of the naked Jeeps you'll see cruising around town never go off road. 99% of the time on the trails and 90% of the time on the street, our jeep is closed up. Cruising along the coast on a sunny 80⁰ day is awesome. Climbing in to the black leather that's been sitting in the sun on a 100⁰+ day in the central valley? You'll only do that once. Roadtrip of 1,000+ miles? Closed up for sure. Wheeling in the south or PNW where it goes from sunny to downpour in minutes? Very happy with the hard top and speed at which the freedom panels go back on. Wheeling in AZ or UT in the summer when it's 105-120⁰? Closed up enjoying the ac and glad we got the hard top headliner too. Snow wheeling in the high Sierra's? Closed up, dry, and warm thanks to the seat heaters and steering wheel heater thanks. When the trail conditions are perfect, not muddy but also not dusty. Sunny but not hot, naked jeeping is great. Otherwise it's over rated in my opinion. I'll take the Jeep that never gets naked but actually gets wheeled over the poser who cruises around the mall thinking his jeep makes him look cool because the doors are off. Talk about not using the Jeeps potential.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
If you go open air on trails out here in the West, you'd better be ok with dust getting absolutely everywhere -- like in your ears and butt crack. And bring the sunscreen. And have fun when the dust sticks to your sunscreen.

Unlike many of my friends, I actually leave the A/C off when I wheel. I usually have the window down, and I flip back the Sunrider when we're going more slowly or in a canyon or something.

I get that a topless Jeep looks cool. It really does. And that open air vibe is really fun. But for all-day wheeling?

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? giphy

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '24 JTR, '19 Charger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
For trails, I usually ran top deck up and latched, side/rear windows out, and either doors off or windows down in my JK. I'll keep doing the same in the JL. I tend to view the full top down option as more something for tooling around on a nice day around town or at the beach.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
I go topless and tube doors whenever possible as long as no rain in the forecast and pollen level isn’t insanely high. ?

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
I'm not a huge fan of doors off which is why the first thing I bought for my JLR was a set of factory half doors. But this time of year, living in the Midwest, I've been struggling to find a window where I have time to pull the hard top off and get the soft top on that also isn't raining.

Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
I've been running mine in safari/bikini mode for the most part, but that's because my eyes are very sensitive to harsh sunlight. The pupil in my right eye doesn't work and is stuck open, so it's like being dilated 100% of the time. So I'll have the sides off most of the day, and then drop the top fully in the morning and evenings when the sun isn't as direct or bright. ?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Last Friday, ahead of Memorial Weekend, the traffic on I-5 out of Seattle was absolute hell.

The weather was sunny and 70ºF. So I dropped the top on my Fiat convertible, un-selected “Allow Freeways” on the Navigation, cranked some good tunes, and let the car take me through the back roads.

The traffic was relatively light; the speed limits between 30 and 50 MPH; the road was two-lanes and windy, and the scenery breathtaking. That trip normally takes 80 minutes on the freeway. It took me two-and-a-half hours to do same the 90 miles through the country roads. But it was worth it.

The opportunities for open motoring still exist all around us. We just need to see them, slow down, and choose to spend the extra time to enjoy them.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? Fiat 124 Spider without Wing Decals 2

Last edited:

ELJeffe77

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 Turbo, Delivered on 08/30/2021
Occupation
Affiliate Marketer & Search Engine Optimization Consultant
Remodeling our garage right now, as soon as we are finished I am taking the top off and leaving enough for the rest of the summer lol

Whsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Clubs

If you go open air on trails out here in the West, you'd better be ok with dust getting absolutely everywhere -- like in your ears and butt crack. And bring the sunscreen. And have fun when the dust sticks to your sunscreen.

Unlike many of my friends, I actually leave the A/C off when I wheel. I usually have the window down, and I flip back the Sunrider when we're going more slowly or in a canyon or something.

I get that a topless Jeep looks cool. It really does. And that open air vibe is really fun. But for all-day wheeling?

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? Fiat 124 Spider without Wing Decals 2
Can confirm, did this yesterday on a trail in CO. That being said I’m crazy enough to enjoy it like that haha.

kj11

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport Altitude
the poser who cruises around the mall thinking his jeep makes him look cool because the doors are off.
Ummm....but he does look cool though...
Sponsored