Sponsored

Is open Jeep a dying art?

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Just so everyone understands, sometimes the image of going naked does not match the reality. I don't go naked because this is my reality.

This isn't dirt, not mud. It's super fine talc-like desert dust. It happens all the time, just takes an hour or two of wheeling. There's enough on the tail light alone to make a pile 1" high. Without a top it would be piling up everywhere, eventually filling up the entire Jeep while I violently hack it out of my lungs. No matter who you are after a couple miles of this, you are now a brown person. There's no avoiding it, except with a top. Much better to just clean your air filters. Not all top-up people are crazy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 20210718_093502
Sponsored

Last edited:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just so everyone understands, sometimes the image of going naked does not match the reality. I don't go naked because this is my reality.

This isn't dirt, not mud. It's super fine talc-like desert dust. It happens all the time, just takes an hour or two of wheeling. There's enough on the tail light alone to make a pile 1" high. Without a top it would be piling up everywhere, eventually filling up the entire Jeep while I violently hack it out of my lungs. No matter who you are after a couple miles of this, you are now a brown person. There's no avoiding it, except with a top. Much better to just clean your air filters. Not all top-up people are crazy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 20210718_093502
Please pick your spots for NAKED!! :jk::sun:

Please pick your spots for Fully Dressed!!!:jk: :tumbleweed::rain:

I am sure some Wiseman (Jeeper) said that somewhere down the line!!:rock:

ELJeffe77

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 Turbo, Delivered on 08/30/2021
Occupation
Affiliate Marketer & Search Engine Optimization Consultant
Congrats!

Having just the freedom panels off is like a windier version of a sunroof (because there’s no deflector). Having the top off is like a bigger sunroof. A sunshade makes a huge difference with wind (not as much wind), and makes it a tad quieter. It also keeps you from frying in the sun. Get one.

The doors make a huge difference. 35 and below it’s mostly road noise. It’s fun and you can still have a convo and listen to the radio. On the highway it’s assault from wind and trucks. You won’t be having any casual conversations or listening to your crime podcast. You’ll have to communicate with your significant other through loving glances or shouting, “WHAT???” at each other.
Thanks, I appreciate the detailed response! :)

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I appreciate the detailed response! :)
Differently get sunshade. Few out there. This one is Spiderweb Shade.
Some might still use Bungee with Balls to attach. This one use these mounts for better look and fit.

Rock sliders with  Step Assist.jpg

20210614_221716.jpg

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Just because we can doesn't mean we have to. ;)
Then why get the JL. There are plenty of other SUV’s and Trucks to choose from.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It is the most off-road worthy Jeep, and the ones with the most aftermarket support.

If Jeep put beefy solid axles, large fenders, winch-capable steel bumpers, sway-disconnects, lockers and 35" tires on a Grand Cherokee I'd pick that in a heart beat over the Wrangler.

I still miss my WJ/ZJ.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 825E92D3-89D8-4212-AE1A-615DAC0D06EF
Yep!! I have to drive to work down an 8-mile dirt road. This desert dust gets in everywhere…even with the top and doors on. Without it (I tried it) it took 3 hours to clean it out snd I still missed some spots.
so long as I work there I’ll only Put my top back when putzing around.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Last edited:

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yep!! I have to drive to work down an 8-mile dirt road. This desert dust gets in everywhere…even with the top and doors on. Without it (I tried it) it took 3 hours to clean it out snd I still missed some spots.
so long as I work there I’ll only Put my top back when putzing around.
You know it! Between the inevitable massive quantities of dust, sun and heat of the summer, then the massive quantities of snow we get in the winter, my solar reflecting white hard top is a permanent thing.

What about spring & fall, you say? They only last about 1-2 weeks each. It just flips between full-on winter and full-on summer like a light switch. Not worth the effort to go naked for such a short time.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link

Jeep Wrangler JL Is open Jeep a dying art? 825E92D3-89D8-4212-AE1A-615DAC0D06EF
Yes desert moon dust sucks. I have seen hmmwv’s disappear to the hood in it. That being said I inhaled a lot of it as a M113 driver, along with Detroit Diesel exhaust.

I will say it’s not much fun to clean out that fine dust though. But to me I wouldn’t have it any other way for wheeling visibility.

28FB450D-A131-4006-967A-F0E808ED18E9.jpeg

4359589D-CD2B-4E3C-B3CC-8113088A975D.jpeg

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
You know it! Between the inevitable massive quantities of dust, sun and heat of the summer, then the massive quantities of snow we get in the winter, my solar reflecting white hard top is a permanent thing.

What about spring & fall, you say? They only last about 1-2 weeks each. It just flips between full-on winter and full-on summer like a light switch. Not worth the effort to go naked for such a short time.
I can imagine!! Down here it’s nice for a short time but the dust. I have a soft top so it’s pretty easy to flip it back on good days. At least you can remove freedom panels for those short weeks between.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
My wife wanted one for whatever reason - she says she likes the styling - and since she's making the $525/mo payments I figure she can buy whatever she wants for whatever reason. She has a '20 Recon (the one in my profile pic) and has never driven it off-road, never removed the top or doors and most likely never will. Again, she's making the payments and it's her choice.
Sponsored