Sponsored

Is my Wrangler Sahara going to be worse offroad then my Cherokee Trailhawk?

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Question for those who knows these things. I currently have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk edition, which has a locking differential. My off roading has included a couple beginner rock crawling tails, but mostly driving in the sand (14 miles of trails Corolla, NC each year for a beach trip) (oh, and the once every 5 years or so real snowstorm we get in the Wash DC area) The Cherokee has had no issues.

I just ordered a Sahara 4xe with the anti-slip differential rear axle (LSD I think). So this, I think, does NOT have a locking differential. It has greater clearance, and being a 4xe, the greater torque. But how is going from a true locking diff to the anti-slip differential rear axle going to effect my ability for driving in loose and wet sand and for beginner level rock crawling trails?

Am I really going to loose a lot of off road capability? Both are 'trail rated' but just wondering what to expect from those who might know more about these things. I've gotten pretty good at driving in the sand (and it is fun) and hope that I'm suddenly not going to find myself getting stuck this summer!

Thanks, - John
Sponsored

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
Don't worry, I "upgraded" from a 2017.5 Compass, and the Wrangler Sport S is a much better off-road. I am sure your Saraha will do just fine, as you have more goodies.

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
You'll be fine. Alot comes down to tires and the driver.

You also have Brake Lock Differentials helping you out

Rubicon lockers help a lot of novice offroaders get through bad line picking. However when it comes down to it there are situations where lockers will be needed.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Did a handful of Moab rock crawling trails back in November. Kept up with my friends’ JK Rubis wearing 37s and a new acquaintance with a pretty much stock JL Rubi.

No problems with the limited slip. However, there were obstacles where I wished I had their bigger tires and front locker.

I‘m in NoVa too. Most of my driving unfortunately is also on road so I benefit more from the limited slip.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is my Wrangler Sahara going to be worse offroad then my Cherokee Trailhawk? A040C9D8-A2E2-410A-AB52-0B70FE29A746

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...... I just ordered a Sahara 4xe with the anti-slip differential rear axle (LSD I think)......
You'll be fine, and actually if you opted for the Selec-Trac (fulltime 4wd is selectable on the shifter) you'll find it much more drivable in snow/slush. I'm not sure about the '21 MY, but in '18 you could only get that on the Sahara.

Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
You will be fine - for extra insurance and piece of mind, use some of that money saved from opting out of the Rubicon package and buy decent AT tires and a winch with recover gear and learn how to use them.... you are good for virtually everywhere you can legally drive east of the Mississippi.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Don't forget you can also manually disconnect the front sway bar for vastly greater axle articulation than you would get with JGC's IFS.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
You’ll definitely be more capable off road in the Wrangler. The Wrangler has better articulation, and less parts hanging low that can become damaged when off road. The solid axles are bulletproof.
The LSD in the rear of the Wrangler is practically a locker when the brake lock traction control does it’s thing.
I had a Wrangler Sahara for a couple years and it was awesome. My only recommendation would be to replace the side steps with sliders if you’re planning any serious rock crawling. Otherwise the trail will remove them for you (ask me how I know).

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Are you sure your GC has a locking diff? Either way our Wrangler is WAY more capable than our 17 GC Trailhawk. Actually didn’t think our GC had a locking diff at all. Then again we haven’t needed it so I don’t know.

For what it is worth we did some pretty difficult trails in SoCal with a few folks with stock Sahara’s. Other than a couple lines because of clearance they did everything our Rubi did no problem.

OP
OP

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Thanks all, makes me feel better :)

Going2drt - Yes, my Trailhawk has a true locking diff, " For those who enjoy places like Bundy Hill, Jeep makes the Cherokee Trailhawk. Among several other changes, the Trailhawk features a two-speed transfer case, chunky off-road tires, ground clearance raised one inch and, yes, a locking rear differential" (Unless they got rid of it for your 2017?)

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
With Brake Loking Differentials you will be able to drive tru where you been before with much ease compared to trailwhack.
You will just need to have a bit more gas imput and at times brake application (when one wheel.off the ground and you are at standstill) to handle everything that Rubicon can.

Sasquash

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 2 door, 1996 ZJ, 1976 SkiDoo Everest 440E
Question for those who knows these things. I currently have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk edition, which has a locking differential. My off roading has included a couple beginner rock crawling tails, but mostly driving in the sand (14 miles of trails Corolla, NC each year for a beach trip) (oh, and the once every 5 years or so real snowstorm we get in the Wash DC area) The Cherokee has had no issues.

I just ordered a Sahara 4xe with the anti-slip differential rear axle (LSD I think). So this, I think, does NOT have a locking differential. It has greater clearance, and being a 4xe, the greater torque. But how is going from a true locking diff to the anti-slip differential rear axle going to effect my ability for driving in loose and wet sand and for beginner level rock crawling trails?

Am I really going to loose a lot of off road capability? Both are 'trail rated' but just wondering what to expect from those who might know more about these things. I've gotten pretty good at driving in the sand (and it is fun) and hope that I'm suddenly not going to find myself getting stuck this summer!

Thanks, - John
I have open diffs front and back, 33 inch A/T tires. I do just fine in the sand. Air down and you'll be fine.

IMG_20201228_133746_3.jpg

Fordfiveohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2018 Compass Trailhawk
With Brake Loking Differentials you will be able to drive tru where you been before with much ease compared to trailwhack.
You will just need to have a bit more gas imput and at times brake application (when one wheel.off the ground and you are at standstill) to handle everything that Rubicon can.
The Trailhawk has brake lock diffs too.... It's full time 4wd basically and practically full time lockers via brake locking diffs... And THEN if that's still not enough, you can lock the rear wheels AND you also have drive modes plus descent control, crawl control , and 56:1 4 low.

If you are on an obstacle where clearance isnt the problem (snow for example) I predict the Cherokee Trailhawk will mop the floor against the Wrangler.

I think people don't even understand WHY independent suspension was created ...

There are several reasons... Here's two :
1. To eliminate bump steer .
2. To provide a BETTER tire to ground contact patch and improve slip angle problems that occur with solid axles.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

Thanks, - John
Does the cherokee have a real locking differential? Or is it electronic?

Regardless. Your wrangler is gonna be waaaaay better than the cherokee, locker or not. Disconnect your sway bar, air down. I guarantee you are gonna walk through stuff your SUV used to struggle with.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The Trailhawk has brake lock diffs too.... It's full time 4wd basically and practically full time lockers via brake locking diffs... And THEN if that's still not enough, you can lock the rear wheels AND you also have drive modes plus descent control, crawl control , and 56:1 4 low.

If you are on an obstacle where clearance isnt the problem (snow for example) I predict the Cherokee Trailhawk will mop the floor against the Wrangler.

I think people don't even understand WHY independent suspension was created ...

There are several reasons... Here's two :
1. To eliminate bump steer .
2. To provide a BETTER tire to ground contact patch and improve slip angle problems that occur with solid axles.
It doesnt seem to have a real locker.

"The Trailhawk has a rear differential locker. It is not a real differential and it is not a real locker. Somehow it uses a hydraulic clutch pack to lock the rear axles together." Go it from cherokee forums. Sounds like an LSD to me.

Ive spotted stock saharas through obstacles I would never spot one of those unibody crossovers. Be it trailhawk, megahawk, superhawk, you name it. A Wrangler is way superior than those cars for most situations of real offroad. Other than driving on a road, icy conditions, snowy road, etc...

A cherokee is never gonna "mop the floor" against the wrangler offroad. Sure you can drive it faster/safer on ice/snow but thats about it.
Sponsored

Last edited: