Sponsored

Is my Sway Bar Actuator (Factory) Installed Incorrectly?

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Trying to install a Grimm winch plate - which looks great by the way, but it won't fit as it interferes with the sway bar disconnect actuator. I've contacted Grimm and Northridge (retailer) and they are investigating but do not know of any issues with fitment on the 392.

Anyone able to take a peek under their 392 and check if the dogbone hanger is horizontal or vertical? Pictures below...

Thanks,
LF

A picture from the Grimm installation instructions, note the rubber dogbone hanger orientation:
Jeep Wrangler JL Is my Sway Bar Actuator (Factory) Installed Incorrectly? IMG_3359.JPG

Same picture on my 392; dogbone horizontal, pressing against bottom of radiator, and showing the winch plate interference:
Jeep Wrangler JL Is my Sway Bar Actuator (Factory) Installed Incorrectly? IMG_3360.JPG
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Trying to install a Grimm winch plate - which looks great by the way, but it won't fit as it interferes with the sway bar disconnect actuator. I've contacted Grimm and Northridge (retailer) and they are investigating but do not know of any issues with fitment on the 392.

Anyone able to take a peek under their 392 and check if the dogbone hanger is horizontal or vertical? Pictures below...

Thanks,
LF

A picture from the Grimm installation instructions, note the rubber dogbone hanger orientation:
Jeep Wrangler JL Is my Sway Bar Actuator (Factory) Installed Incorrectly? IMG_3360.JPG

Same picture on my 392; dogbone horizontal, pressing against bottom of radiator, and showing the winch plate interference:
I don't have a 392, but I'm subscribed to see where this goes...

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Yours looks to have been rotated up, common practice to get it tucked up higher away from potential damage.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
OP
OP
Left Field

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yours looks to have been rotated up, common practice to get it tucked up higher away from potential damage.
Based on this, I rotated it back to where I think it is supposed to be, now matching the picture from Grimm. Hopefully no interference issues with the front factory skid plate, will find out that answer in the morning...

Looks like yours has been flipped. You’re not the original owner, right?
Strange that Grimm or Northridge didn’t pick up on that.
You can read more about it here.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jlu-smartbar-motor-rotate.12568/

Great link, thanks, wasn't aware that rotating was an option. Mine was using the original bolt in the original actuator hole, everything was just clocked forward. Wondered if it was just a 392 thing.

I'm original owner, but it wouldn't be the first factory anomaly I've run into.

Sponsored

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
Just grab it and rotate down, it will move, no problem. I had the same thing on my Rubicon 2.0

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
“I'm original owner, but it wouldn't be the first factory anomaly I've run into.”

That’s for sure! Hope you get it all squared away.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I would probably blame whoever put your winch tray in for the flip.

OP
OP
Left Field

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would probably blame whoever put your winch tray in for the flip.
That would be me :) At least attempting to put in the winch tray. New vehicle, so the first time it's been apart was this afternoon for installation of the tray and winch.

I re-clocked the actuator to what appears to be the normal factory position. I hadn't been aware that the mechanism inside the actuator allowed it to rotate but it worked fine. The winch plate and factory skid plate all seem to fit nicely now. Winch will go in tomorrow AM đź‘Ť

Thanks!
LF

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
As others have mentioned, your sway bar disco has been rotated up.

We have a 392 on the rack getting a long arm kit, its sway bar disco is still in the stock position, hanging down.

There is already a winch bumper in place, so hard to get the right angle for the pic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is my Sway Bar Actuator (Factory) Installed Incorrectly? 392-Discon-stock

Sponsored

OP
OP
Left Field

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the picture and confirmation. I'm using the Grimm winch plate. Your
(Northridge) install video was very helpful in knowing what to expect - thanks!

As others have mentioned, your sway bar disco has been rotated up.

We have a 392 on the rack getting a long arm kit, its sway bar disco is still in the stock position, hanging down.

There is already a winch bumper in place, so hard to get the right angle for the pic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is my Sway Bar Actuator (Factory) Installed Incorrectly? 392-Discon-stock

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 392, 1974 Hemi Cherokee
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
Sounds like you have it figured out already but just want to point out this comment in the instructions.

" Note the orientation of the sway bar disconnect motor if equipped. The motor hanger/isolator must be oriented hanging down as shown. Some vehicles come with the motor hanger/isolater over-centered towards the vehicle and this needs to be corrected for the winch plate to properly fit. "

OP
OP
Left Field

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you have it figured out already but just want to point out this comment in the instructions.

" Note the orientation of the sway bar disconnect motor if equipped. The motor hanger/isolator must be oriented hanging down as shown. Some vehicles come with the motor hanger/isolater over-centered towards the vehicle and this needs to be corrected for the winch plate to properly fit. "
Grimm's instructions were among the best I've seen for aftermarket equipment. I got an email from them right after running into the issue which explained it and noted that they had added it to their instructions - good on Grimm for their quick response and attention to detail! đź‘Ť
Sponsored