Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU '17 GTI
Occupation
IT
A little late.

I drew a line straight down from the camera to illustrate how far off-center it is. Not much but very noticeable to the eye. That's with the hitch set directly into the receiver. Since there's a little play in the hitch it can pivot to the right a little bit.

IMG_20220923_105903610_HDR.jpg
Could be the body is not 100% straight on the frame
Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
As long as it's properly bolted and as long as the welds are good, it's safe to use. The slight angle won't change the way the trailer tows. It's a one point connection, the trailer will still tow straight. If it was a Class III using a WDH the angle would impact the geometry of the bars. I'd live with it.

mtbgordon

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 2022 GCL
My 2023 looks crooked before I even put my bike carrier on. The drivers side of the bike rack sits closer than the passenger. Definitely not right.

IMG-0635.jpg

IMG-0636.jpg

Sponsored

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Looks better than this sketchy shit we saw at the gas station the other day.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is my hitch safe to use? IMG-20220921-WA0008
That’s an HD strap and I don’t see any fraying, he’s more than good.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Measure from the frame rails. I don't see a problem with it. The spare on JLs is not perfectly centered.

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
My 2023 looks crooked before I even put my bike carrier on. The drivers side of the bike rack sits closer than the passenger. Definitely not right.

That's pretty much exactly how mine looks. Driver's side is closer with a bike rack thrown in. I feel a little better that it's not just my Jeep.

mtbgordon

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 2022 GCL
That's pretty much exactly how mine looks. Driver's side is closer with a bike rack thrown in. I feel a little better that it's not just my Jeep.
I was going to look at how it is bolted in and see if there is any adjustment. If no adjustment then we could be looking at a poor weld job.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I was going to look at how it is bolted in and see if there is any adjustment. If no adjustment then we could be looking at a poor weld job.
There’s no adjustment. The hitch is a piece of square tube welded to a piece of channel. Channel slips over the rear crossmember and is through bolted.

Sponsored

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Measure from the frame rails. I don't see a problem with it. The spare on JLs is not perfectly centered.
This…..then you’ll know for sure.

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
@Turaven
A sure-fire DIY test to confirm accuracy of construction and fitment is to install a separate receiver hitch and draw bar (the part with the ball on it), and compare the alignment of the new combo to the original one currently in situ.

If there's no change in alignment, you might consider the construction and/or the welding of the crossmember to the frame to be the causative factor here. Or perhaps using a line from the rear camera to the ball shouldn't be viewed as a benchmark measurement method.
To resurrect my old thread here, my Jeep was rear ended multiple times by some cracked out maniac in a sedan trying to run me off the road a few days after this thread was started. Finally got it repaired. The finish on the bottom of the hitch got scraped and the rubber plug got torn. Hitch and crossmember didn't receive any structural damage.

The body shop ended up replacing the hitch entirely since the labor cost of removing the rust from the damaged area and repainting was more than the cost of a new hitch. The brand-new OEM hitch is also crooked in the same manner as the original. To my eye the "angle of crookedness" might even be a little worse but I can't really tell. I got used to looking at a hitch with the rubber plug smushed into the hole so that will change the visual interpretation of the angle. I do know the new bumper isn't fit 100% uniformly (the gap between bumper and body is slightly less on the passenger's side. The hitch's crooked angle is perceived mostly in relation to the bumper so the original factory bumper may have been crooked the whole time. I never thought to check the gaps between the body on the original one.

So I guess that's it for the story. The dealer certainly won't do any warranty work at this point since the Jeep has been wrecked in the directly relevant area. All the welds and structure are good, so I guess it's "just a Jeep thing" and will have to be dealt with. Maybe at some point I can just get an aftermarket bumper with integrated hitch to provide a perfectly aligned look.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe the robot that welded the chassis did so on a Friday afternoon. Damn lazy bots. I need to go check mine. I guess it is what it is.
Sponsored