Sponsored

Is JL initial build quality and reliability truly bad?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I don't have an issue with my JL Rubicon. I love it.
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
There's a confidence in the JL that literally resonates from the pavement, through the frame, to the seat, and into you as the driver that the TJ had
YES, I drove a YJ and a TJ, and I know the feeling, first time I sat in the JL, I thought about my 98 TJ.
I drove a few JKs in the early years, and rented quite a few over the years, I liked the JK, but didn't love it like I loved my TJ or the JL.

I almost bought a JK in 2015, and again in 2017, but both times I just didn't have the feeling my TJ or YJ gave me

When I saw the JL on the lot, it was immediate love at first sight, then I drove it and just couldn't wait.
I know first year models can have issues, but I pulled the trigger, because the chances of getting a good one is much greater than getting one with issues.
3500 miles on my Punk'N JLU sport s, and my only issue is my cheeks hurt from this shit eating grin always on my face.
Just looking at it, sitting in it, driving it, changes my mood, just like my TJ did.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
No its not bad. I've rolled under my jeep to look at every single weld, etc. Nothing to me seems bad. I am on the recall thought but honestly my Weld at Track Bar is great compared to others that aren't. I'm honestly not worried at all about my jeep. Nothing has failed on it yet.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Late july build date
800 miles CEL
they had it over a month and put on 700 miles trying to fix it.

Finally fixed. Had to replace the timing chain tensioner and guides

So far i am hoping that is the only issue but i get sporadic electronic glitches every now and then.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
it happens to every vehicle, I have seen brand new porsches being towed in. My good friend had a brand new bmw 750 a few years back Going around a curve on the freeway I-5 south just past front street. at leagl speeds The motor just quit at 65 mph shut off entirely . ( he switched to audi after that ) so it happens. So far mine has 11,500 miles and no issues. Knock on wood:headbang:

rtg

First Name
RTG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking of Wrangler
Curious as to the community's input on this. Between weld quality, early electronic gremlins, massive production delays, and a fair slew of new owners getting stranded, or needing service immediately into ownership, what's your take? Is build quality and initial reliability acceptable on this, especially as a daily driver?

Supposedly for every owner with a vocal, bad experience, there's nine silent happy customers, right? Any high-mile early JL owners that have had zero problems?

It's always been my halo, dream vehicle, and I want one. I'm starting to cross-shop Tacomas again, and could use some community reassurance that a JL generation Jeep Wrangler purchase won't ruin my life in some kind of way.

Thanks for reading.

Hi TOG,
Curious if you purchased a JL. I am considering same and was ready to buy when I found the NHTSA post concerning new jeeps.

If you've purchased, appreciate your sharing how you are finding the vehicle and how it's met your expectation.

Thanks!
RTG

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Hi TOG,
Curious if you purchased a JL. I am considering same and was ready to buy when I found the NHTSA post concerning new jeeps.

If you've purchased, appreciate your sharing how you are finding the vehicle and how it's met your expectation.

Thanks!
RTG
I went a different route. Hereā€™s my update. This winter I ordered a 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport, in Soul Red with a manual transmission. Iā€™ve had it for five months now and itā€™s been wonderful. It was about $25,000 before taxes, with more equipment than a JL Sport. It was an easier loan to swallow, although of course the JL will hold value and the Miata will drop like a rock in value. This was after abandoning a JL Sport order and forfeiting the $500 deposit.

Iā€™ve owned a serious off-roader before but had never owned a sports car. I got a sports car and convertible all in one!

If the JL platform proves reliable, one just might enter my life in the future. Those Scramblers look awesome.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Ihave owned supra vipers and vettes. Drive tr4as and bug eyed sprites. Give me a jeep any day. You'll get tire dof staring up that f250 deisel tail pipe pretty darn quick

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
i like jeeps but $$$$ only go so far! bought a preowned 28 thou mile 2001 TT roadster 225Q, a fun ride for sure, but still interested in gladiator as i need a pickup. NO 4 doors for me so if they make a 2 door + it gets sorted out + i can afford one, prolly preowned i might buy! jeep needs a stripper model with no unneeded junk at a lower price as many buyers can't afford or WANT all the extra costly unneeded junk. if Mahindras "jeep" would get street legality thing would surely change $$$$

Sponsored

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
Iā€™m going to wait it out and see how things develop. Iā€™m OK if I donā€˜t get a JL right away. Personally, Iā€™d find a Tacoma kinda boring. But there are plenty of other vehicles that could fill the void while the JL is improved and other options, versions, or editions are brought to market. Buying something used could reduce depreciation when that vehicle is sold to acquire a JL in the future, if that turns out to be the direction to go.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
Curious as to the community's input on this. Between weld quality, early electronic gremlins, massive production delays, and a fair slew of new owners getting stranded, or needing service immediately into ownership, what's your take? Is build quality and initial reliability acceptable on this, especially as a daily driver?

Supposedly for every owner with a vocal, bad experience, there's nine silent happy customers, right? Any high-mile early JL owners that have had zero problems?

It's always been my halo, dream vehicle, and I want one. I'm starting to cross-shop Tacomas again, and could use some community reassurance that a JL generation Jeep Wrangler purchase won't ruin my life in some kind of way.

Thanks for reading.
love.jpg
Sponsored