Sponsored

Is JL initial build quality and reliability truly bad?

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
My 2016 Explorer (bear with me, I'm going somewhere with this) threw a CEL after only 200 miles, and had a total transmission failure after 8000 miles. Ford wouldn't even let me have a loaner for the two weeks I was without my car (damn thing IS a car not a truck, don't get me started). 2016 was a facelift year; no major mechanical changes.

My point is this: you'll always get a few lemons. Vehicles built at the edge of the acceptable tolerance stack, that won't hold up in real life. Explorers aren't bad, mine is. Same thing is true of these Wranglers. There's a handful of problems coming off of a new/unproven production line, but by and large the vast majority are good jeeps.
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Did the OP That One Guy buy a wrangler? Just curious sine he was doing so much research, I want to know the outcome.

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Did the OP That One Guy buy a wrangler? Just curious sine he was doing so much research, I want to know the outcome.
Still waiting on the 2 doors. My area nearly has some, finally. I can't in good consciousness place a $30,000 order without seeing an example in person first. :)

In the last couple months, it appears Jeep has been addressing the early problems like steering and frame rust, which is encouraging.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Still waiting on the 2 doors. My area nearly has some, finally. I can't in good consciousness place a $30,000 order without seeing an example in person first. :)

In the last couple months, it appears Jeep has been addressing the early problems like steering and frame rust, which is encouraging.
I’m one of the lucky ones with 4000 miles and 0 issues. Like I said before, that means any issue is probably quality control related and not design issue. Assembly issue can always be fixed.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I had one of the first builds (took home in February) and have had zero problems after 5k miles. I check and recheck just about every inch of the vehicle and it’s still tight and reliable. About my only “issue” is getting the ones with the sh*tty street tires instead of the more beefed up ones. It looked like they were off a minivan. But that was quickly remedied.

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I had one of the first builds (took home in February) and have had zero problems after 5k miles. I check and recheck just about every inch of the vehicle and it’s still tight and reliable. About my only “issue” is getting the ones with the sh*tty street tires instead of the more beefed up ones. It looked like they were off a minivan. But that was quickly remedied.
at least the base A/S tires are of a decent diameter now. the pizza cutters a base JK came on were insanely tiny, ugly, and very non-Wrangler

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Got my 2dr.Rubi on 5/15/18. Everything has been aok since day one. (Well, I did hate the ESS)

I have 1580 miles on it so far.... mostly interstate driving. Some motorcycle trailer towing.

I've had 4 new 2 dr. JK's and all were a pleasure to own but none shine like the 2dr. JL does. I will add that the addition of the Tazer JL and it's feature set, really put the icing on the cake so to speak.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport

Good move to wait . 2 doors are way cooler than 4 doors ; remember the shorter drivetrain and wheelbase . Once you ditch the rear seat in the 2 door , there is more than enough room . "Appears" addressing early problems , is spot on ; no one knows wtf they are doing .

Sftdyna0326$

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LR4
4day old JLUR and only minor issue is reverse cam which once in awhile goes blue! No biggie. 5/27 build 880 miles. Fit and finish are excellent!

Sponsored

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
4/5/18 build with 505mi. I love the damn thing and it has been rock solid with the exception of three things...

1) Windshield washer tank cap never stays on. I just removed the rubber seal in the cap. Not sure what the point of it is anyway.

2) Rear defroster grid lines have random spots on certain lines that are discolored silver instead of brown.

3) Rear windshield washer sprayer randomly dribbles leaves a streak mark down the glass.

RandomGuy03

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
8700 plus miles, no issues and am loving it.
There is one thing that I find funny though... if you take the doors off, you cannot unlock the gate without the fob. It took me a few minutes to figure that one out. :)

OCGossipGirl

First Name
OCgossipgirl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler
Curious as to the community's input on this. Between weld quality, early electronic gremlins, massive production delays, and a fair slew of new owners getting stranded, or needing service immediately into ownership, what's your take? Is build quality and initial reliability acceptable on this, especially as a daily driver?

Supposedly for every owner with a vocal, bad experience, there's nine silent happy customers, right? Any high-mile early JL owners that have had zero problems?

It's always been my halo, dream vehicle, and I want one. I'm starting to cross-shop Tacomas again, and could use some community reassurance that a JL generation Jeep Wrangler purchase won't ruin my life in some kind of way.

Thanks for reading.
Well, I felt the need to respond to this thread. My husband and I leased a 2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport and we have continual problems. In the last month, we had the car maybe 5 days between repairs. The power control module failed when we were out of town and had only had this car for 4 months. We drove it off the lot and the AC unit wasn't working. We didn't know it was working until we left the dealer because we purchased the car late. I had to bring it back the next day. It's been one thing after another. Dealer wouldn't switch out the car for us even though they acknowledge we got a lemon. All they said was we should seek legal advice.....................

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Well, I felt the need to respond to this thread. My husband and I leased a 2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport and we have continual problems. In the last month, we had the car maybe 5 days between repairs. The power control module failed when we were out of town and had only had this car for 4 months. We drove it off the lot and the AC unit wasn't working. We didn't know it was working until we left the dealer because we purchased the car late. I had to bring it back the next day. It's been one thing after another. Dealer wouldn't switch out the car for us even though they acknowledge we got a lemon. All they said was we should seek legal advice.....................
Sorry this is happening to you . Did you buy in Huntington Beach or Costa Mesa ? Might make a difference . Another route is to call Mike Manley , CEO .

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Curious as to the community's input on this. Between weld quality, early electronic gremlins, massive production delays, and a fair slew of new owners getting stranded, or needing service immediately into ownership, what's your take? Is build quality and initial reliability acceptable on this, especially as a daily driver?

Supposedly for every owner with a vocal, bad experience, there's nine silent happy customers, right? Any high-mile early JL owners that have had zero problems?

It's always been my halo, dream vehicle, and I want one. I'm starting to cross-shop Tacomas again, and could use some community reassurance that a JL generation Jeep Wrangler purchase won't ruin my life in some kind of way.

Thanks for reading.
Knocking on wood, but mine is about 99% flawless. No issues yet. I've studied all my frame welds that I can see. Fit and finish is commensurate with new Toyotas, Subarus and Hondas I've owned.

This is my first Jeep, and I had a 2016 Ram 2500 diesel before it so 2nd FCA purchase.

Build quality on my Jeep is better than it was on my Ram. Little details I look for. Overall really love the JL.

That said, I hope it holds up, and that they get the early frame issues sorted out honorably. But I have Mopar Maximum Care just in case...
Sponsored