Is Jeepjamboree worth it?

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
So I’m all for the company bringing people together and to assist new Jeepers to off-roading and showing trials maybe you’ve never been too.
Here’s my dilemma,
they are charging you $400 for the Moab trip. It includes meals but really why else charge. Every trail they are going on you can also go on. Table Mesa is all open. They claim they charge for permits and other reasons to allow use but I can drive up there and do every trail they are talking about doing. So what’s to stop me from joining the group as they take off for the day? It’s all public/BLM land that they can’t turn you away from. Am I wrong for thinking this? Or do others have this same feeling?
Sponsored

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
I've had the same thoughts of wanting to go to one of these, but never pulled the trigger to do so.

I'm not too sure if I would enjoy a huge group outing with waiting around for everyone to get directed on what is next. I don't know if this is the case, but seems it would be.

Maybe one of these days I'll go to socialize, see/experience something new, and just to say I did.

OP
OP
Sargeoverland

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
I've had the same thoughts of wanting to go to one of these, but never pulled the trigger to do so.

I'm not too sure if I would enjoy a huge group outing with waiting around for everyone to get directed on what is next. I don't know if this is the case, but seems it would be.

Maybe one of these days I'll go to socialize, see/experience something new, and just to say I did.
I’ve done outings with 15-30 and I’ve been held up for an hour before. Some times people get the wrong line and get into a pickle or just don’t have the experience and they do something incorrectly and it stops everyone. But if you can socialize for free why not do that. $400 for the socialization is a little silly to do.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Depends, If you are new to off-roading you’ll learn a lot of stuff that’ll help. Otherwise,you’ll just see some cool Jeeps and travel some interesting places. If you’ve not done one it’s well worth the experience IMHO.

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
I’ve done outings with 15-30 and I’ve been held up for an hour before. Some times people get the wrong line and get into a pickle or just don’t have the experience and they do something incorrectly and it stops everyone. But if you can socialize for free why not do that. $400 for the socialization is a little silly to do.

Yes, I agree. It is probably more for the right to say it has been marked off the bucket list.

Before I bought my first TJ there was a Jeep event here in Houston that would allow you to drive a new model Jeep (all models for that year were there that you could choose from) through their obstacle course trail, and I really enjoyed the winching demonstration, swag tents, and whatnot they had going on that day. One of the tents was marketing the Jamboree and I have always thought of it as a really cool idea. It is kind of one of those things you feel obligated to do because it has been a thought for so long.

I would hope the Jamboree experience to be similar, but with an added 10 points, or so because of where you are and what you are doing.

I understand the cost is... well, something to consider, but I can spend close to that at the bar with friends on a rowdy night. Wake up feeling rough, but with good memories, for the most part.

Yes, the socialization aspect would be expensive, if that where the only reason for going.

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
I have done 5 jamborees. Jamborees are expensive but wife and I will continue to attend. It gets us out to other states that we would never go to on our own. They have been doing it so long they are very good at taking care of you and it is a fun three days. They understand you don’t go there to tear up your Jeep. But they also have a selection of 7+ trails if you want a challenge.

The prizes are quality like set of tires or free jamboree trip in future. Most go home with something (not as big a prize as free tires, but something).

As a comparison, every year the local club hold the “hump and bump” two day event. It’s been going for 40 years, very well known. Cost is great at about $75 per vehicle. Here is a picture of an hour delay in both directions because one Jeep couldn’t get past the entrance. Trail guides were not effective at helping to clear the issue. This would not happen at a jamboree.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is Jeepjamboree worth it? 58E761BC-5BA5-4194-8C58-94EAE31BFE9C

All jamboree trips sell out in first two weeks when reg opens. So if you look at the list be ready to pull the trigger and pay the reg $.

OP
OP
Sargeoverland

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
Depends, If you are new to off-roading you’ll learn a lot of stuff that’ll help. Otherwise,you’ll just see some cool Jeeps and travel some interesting places. If you’ve not done one it’s well worth the experience IMHO.
So you have someone tell you how to take lines and how to handle offroad? Honestly If they would make it 200$ that would be more reasonable or the events that don’t have any permits involved make them cheaper, 200$ for how ever many Jeep’s seems fair imho
The whole thing that I question is can I just show up at the end and follow the last Jeep. I wouldn’t want to get in the middle of their group but there’s nothing stopping anyone from doing that, you can show up to these trials and say oh sorry didn’t know this was this weekend and keep moving. Idk it’s just hard for me to grasp why.

OP
OP
Sargeoverland

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
I have done 5 jamborees. Jamborees are expensive but wife and I will continue to attend. It gets us out to other states that we would never go to on our own. They have been doing it so long they are very good at taking care of you and it is a fun three days. They understand you don’t go there to tear up your Jeep. But they also have a selection of 7+ trails if you want a challenge.

The prizes are quality like set of tires or free jamboree trip in future. Most go home with something (not as big a prize as free tires, but something).

As a comparison, every year the local club hold the “hump and bump” two day event. It’s been going for 40 years, very well known. Cost is great at about $75 per vehicle. Here is a picture of an hour delay in both directions because one Jeep couldn’t get past the entrance. Trail guides were not effective at helping to clear the issue. This would not happen at a jamboree.

All jamboree trips sell out in first two weeks when reg opens. So if you look at the list be ready to pull the trigger and pay the reg $.
To say that wouldn’t happen is an opinion that I’d argue against. There are some people that might have the capability but just aren’t as experienced enough. They can put on a front get there and freak out, seen it happen at big bear.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
The only time I think they are worth it is when it's on land you cannot otherwise access. We did the Ouray Jamboree a few years ago because my wife didnt' feel comfortable doing the high mountain passes alone. The first day of the Ouray Jamboree she decided we should have went alone. The next year we went back to Ouray and we ran all of the passes (including the ones Jeep Jamboree wouldnt do) by ourselves and had a much better time. We didnt have to stand in line for food and ate where we wanted.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I’ve done outings with 15-30 and I’ve been held up for an hour before. Some times people get the wrong line and get into a pickle or just don’t have the experience and they do something incorrectly and it stops everyone...
I think that's the point though is when you do pick the wrong line, you've got some folks there that can help you out. I imagine the group dynamic is "new" and "experienced". If it was mainly experienced and experienced, it wouldn't be a Jeep Jamboree. It would be a bunch of buddies hanging out, and you'd be on your own for paying for meals and such. I think you're paying for someone else's experience, and the convenience that brings in learning, socializing and meals together.

ETA: another "benefit" is to see other people's set ups. You may want a roof-top-tent and someone will be there that knows the pros/cons. Someone else will have a really cool on-board-air set up and you'll talk to them and they'll let you know it looks cool but is hard to get to the right rear tire or something. It's not just about waiting in line to do a trail you can do for free. In fact, it's about all of the other things.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I think for some of the more difficult Jamborees, they also have common spare parts that they bring to help field repair and get you off the trail.

I did one a couple years back, and it was fun to just show up and have a big group of like minded people go wheeling, but if you find a local club to do it for free with you that's obviously a better route. I think it's mainly geared toward people that don't necessarily want to plan routes on their own or do the leg work to get to know the area or other jeep groups before just showing up and wheeling for a weekend.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
To say that wouldn’t happen is an opinion that I’d argue against. There are some people that might have the capability but just aren’t as experienced enough. They can put on a front get there and freak out, seen it happen at big bear.

Guess you have it figured out then. Like I said they are expensive but you will be taken care of. A better option is to do local runs with local groups that are not a huge gathering. Something smaller like a single day run without meals, sponsorship tents, big name aftermarket representation, overnight stays, and prizes.

You don’t have to spend big money to have fun on the trail.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Local folks to me said something similar about Easter Jeep Safari. They suggested I do not go and just go to Moab with them. I still signed up because, why not? I think it will be interesting and I'll have a good time.

Try it out once and see if you like it, only way to know. Opinions of others won't necessarily match the ones you hold. I want to do a Jeep Jamoboree too, just seems cool. Maybe later this summer if there is still availability at any around CO.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Wife and I did the Palo Duro trip because it's on private property in an area you can't access normally. The food and socializing is pretty cool however as most have said, going to places you can access year round does seem a bit much to pay for. That said, the one Ouray trip I did was my first time to that area and having group leaders on the CB tell stories of the mining history and locations was pretty neat - you get a back story to the area you're visiting. Now when we go to SW Colorado, we go with friends or on our own now. I'd say the JJs are worth it in some cases. Also, it is neat seeing other Jeeps and their setups - sometimes you come away with more knowledge on products and hear first hand experience on them. Not to mention meeting some cool people. I'd recommend them when you're going somewhere you haven't been or can't go without special access. Would love to do the Oregon coast one someday.

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys and a 2010 Rubicon

I am going to my first jamboree event this September at Uwharrie National Forest in N.C, we live in Columbia S.C, it is the closest one to us it is always something I have wanted to do to experience it. I will be taking my new Rubicon with the extreme recon package which is currently at the vendor now getting additional equipment installed to it
Sponsored