Sponsored

Is Jeep the new Porsche?

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
This is going to be an option heavy vehicle. Here's a thread to all news on confirmed and rumored options. Most of what I have listed has been confirmed by Milous. I wonder if we really will have to step up to a Rubicon to get some of these as standard on the 2 door, considering the fact that there is no Sahara.
  • Soft top
  • Power soft top
  • Premium soft top
  • Premium tan top
  • Black hard top
  • Body color hard top
  • Power hard top
  • Body color fenders
  • Beefed up fenders (recently spied)
  • Steel bumpers
  • Tan interior
  • Variety of engine options
  • LED headlights
  • Clear taillights
  • 3 UConnect options
  • Alpine sound
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I understand what you're saying with bracket creep and up-selling, and while you make it sound like a bad thing as people do with Porsche, it's not that bad.

Most Jeepers want exactly this, a basic frame and the option to add anything as an option so they aren't forced into a package to get an option, and the benefit of the various trim levels is discounting popular option bundles.

Still better than it being 'like a Ford', where you can get it however you want... as long as it's the one/few way(s) we're offering it.

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
When I read the title of your thread, I thought you were going to talk about how the Wrangler has kept a basic design structure just like how the 911 has, lol.

Arcoril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
991 C2S, AP2 S2000, B9 A4
I come from the Porsche world and when I saw your thread I thought you were talking about the community ripping apart the new design.

The Porsche community generally hates two things:
  • The current car
  • The previous car
Everything that preceded them suddenly becomes the brand's "roots" and everything since then has completely ruined the car.

Let's look at all the things that have completely and utterly ruined the 911 over the decades according to the community:
  • Moving from air cooling to water cooling
  • Non-round headlights in the 996
  • Offering an automatic as an option
  • Adding SUVs to the brand
  • Going from hydraulic to electric power steering
  • Getting rid of naturally aspirated engines and adding turbos on all non-GT cars
  • No manual option on the 991.1 GT3/GT3 RS
All of the talk in the latest JL spy shot thread about the new fenders, bumpers, and turn signal locations gave me a real laugh. All of us car enthusiasts are the same wherever we go. The new Wrangler is looking good and it'll turn out great. Let's start freaking out when it goes unibody with an independent F/R.

Sponsored

Zulu Alpha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Porsche Macan, Toyota FJ40
I come from the Porsche world and when I saw your thread I thought you were talking about the community ripping apart the new design.

The Porsche community generally hates two things:
  • The current car
  • The previous car
Everything that preceded them suddenly becomes the brand's "roots" and everything since then has completely ruined the car.

Let's look at all the things that have completely and utterly ruined the 911 over the decades according to the community:
  • Moving from air cooling to water cooling
  • Offering an automatic as an option
  • Going from hydraulic to electric power steering
  • Getting rid of naturally aspirated engines and adding turbos on all non-GT cars
  • No manual option on the 991.1 GT3/GT3 RS
All of the talk in the latest JL spy shot thread about the new fenders, bumpers, and turn signal locations gave me a real laugh. All of us car enthusiasts are the same wherever we go. The new Wrangler is looking good and it'll turn out great. Let's start freaking out when it goes unibody with an independent F/R.
+991

LOL! Just like how everyone ripped apart the 991 when it first came out, and now people ripping Porsche apart for not getting enough GT3/RS, 911R allocations.

I remember people freaking out when spy videos the 991 GT3RS with a taller ride height due to the 21" rear wheel saying it is now a rock crawler. :cwl:

That said, I think the new JL will be a hit regardless judging by the absolute success of the JK.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
These two I agree with the rest is just progress for the most part. Although I still love a 964 over any of the new ones.

with that said Jeep and Porsche peeps are exactly the same in that both cars are iconic and they don't want the new one to ruin it. Luckily I think both brands understand that and it keeps them in check when designing the new model.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
These two I agree with the rest is just progress for the most part. Although I still love a 964 over any of the new ones.

with that said Jeep and Porsche peeps are exactly the same in that both cars are iconic and they don't want the new one to ruin it. Luckily I think both brands understand that and it keeps them in check when designing the new model.
Let's start a 2019 911 992 forum after the JL is released :cwl:

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I understand what you're saying with bracket creep and up-selling, and while you make it sound like a bad thing as people do with Porsche, it's not that bad.

Most Jeepers want exactly this, a basic frame and the option to add anything as an option so they aren't forced into a package to get an option, and the benefit of the various trim levels is discounting popular option bundles.

Still better than it being 'like a Ford', where you can get it however you want... as long as it's the one/few way(s) we're offering it.
I agree completely, it would be great if you could basically build it from the ground up and have lots of options for interchangeable parts. How great would it be if you could pick from 50 different tires? 50 different wheels? 20 different bumpers? etc etc etc. these are all parts that are easily interchangeable. Would be super cool to be able to do your own design on the internet, and just order it, even if it was doing that and then having to go to the dealership to actually process the order.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
This is going to be an option heavy vehicle. Here's a thread to all news on confirmed and rumored options. Most of what I have listed has been confirmed by Milous. I wonder if we really will have to step up to a Rubicon to get some of these as standard on the 2 door, considering the fact that there is no Sahara.
  • Soft top
  • Power soft top
  • Premium soft top
  • Premium tan top
  • Black hard top
  • Body color hard top
  • Power hard top
  • Body color fenders
  • Beefed up fenders (recently spied)
  • Steel bumpers
  • Tan interior
  • Variety of engine options
  • LED headlights
  • Clear taillights
  • 3 UConnect options
  • Alpine sound
If you think this is a heavy option vehicle, you haven't seen a long Porsche window sticker :P Perhaps we're getting closer to a BMW size list of options, but we are not anywhere remotely in the ballpark of Porsche. One of the only vehicles I've seen where the price of the options list amounted to well more than the car.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
If you think this is a heavy option vehicle, you haven't seen a long Porsche window sticker :P Perhaps we're getting closer to a BMW size list of options, but we are not anywhere remotely in the ballpark of Porsche. One of the only vehicles I've seen where the price of the options list amounted to well more than the car.
Keep in mind that this car isn't revealed yet. These are just leaked options.
Sponsored