Is it truly 470lbs torque all day or diminishing torque based on electric power

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Does it also mean he was only able to enjoy the 470# torque 1/3 of the time he was driving?
Friend you are getting way too hung up on that 470# torque thing. Of course if you are running in battery only you don't have 470# of torque or do you need it. If you mash on accelerator then you will have both engines running and all torque. Honestly you don't have max torque in your diesel either driving around town unless you are doing stoplight to stoplight racing.
Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Friend you are getting way too hung up on that 470# torque thing. Of course if you are running in battery only you don't have 470# of torque or do you need it. If you mash on accelerator then you will have both engines running and all torque. Honestly you don't have max torque in your diesel either driving around town unless you are doing stoplight to stoplight racing.
First of all I would never presume to tell somebody "what they need". Besides, few people buy a Jeep because they need one.
I am just trying to clear up some misconceptions about the hybrid. Many folks think you get all that power each time you accelerate & you don't, especially in battery-only mode. Since you brought up the diesel, you might want to do some research on exactly how broad the torque curve is on the Ecodiesel.

Last edited:

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Does it also mean he was only able to enjoy the 470# torque 1/3 of the time he was driving?
You're focused WAY too much on this. The 4xe drives great and seamlessly. I've got no complaints so far. No vehicle gives you max torque all the time.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
First of all I would never presume to tell somebody "what they need". Besides, few people buy a Jeep because they need one.
I am just trying to clear up some misconceptions about the hybrid. Many folks think you get all that power each time you accelerate & you don't, especially in battery-only mode. Since you brought up the diesel, you might want to do some research on exactly how broad the torque curve is on the Ecodiesel.
If you force it into battery only mode, then correct, you don't get the full 470. If you're in hybrid mode and you hit the pedal then yes you'll get the full 470. The ICE will kick in even if you at that moment were only in battery power, and the automatic transmission will shift to keep you in the appropriate power band.

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
So - when I go and test drive one, what buttons do I need to have pressed to feel max acceleration?
The one on the right side of the floor.

But for realz, hybrid mode, and might want max regen off.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Thought Iā€™d share a few thoughts from my a short test drive. Iā€™m coming from a JLUR V6. Full disclosure - just a test drive, not my rig.

Starting it a cruising around in electric is so cool - particularly for a first time driving a partially electric vehicle!

Iā€™m looking at this as the HP and torque numbers got me interested + just tooling around in electric either on my short commute or on the trail seems like a cool thing.

So as for performance - Iā€™d describe it overall as it just does it with just less fuss. I canā€™t compare to the 2.0L but at least to the V6.

From a standstill or lower rolling start in hybrid mode - when you mash the pedal - there is a definite 1-1.5 ish second delay before the ICE kicks in to supplement the electric motor. Maybe a bit longer from a standstill. But it does get up and bogie when it gets going. Itā€™s not going to throw you back in the seat too much - you can tell itā€™s carrying some extra weight.

You can over come that slight delay from a standing start with a foot on the brake to hold it, and then there is no real delay. But really, how often do you need to race someone from a traffic light in a Jeep. Not to say I wouldnā€™t - but Iā€™d want a 392 to smoke them ;). Deep down I really want a 392!

At higher speeds and on the freeway. You still get a bit of a delay when you stomp on it, but itā€™s not too bad as itā€™s changing down gears at the same time. But it definitely pulls hard (for a jeep) and accelerates quicker than the V6.

Hereā€™s the thing - I said it does it with less fuss. It is really hard to ignore the sensory aspects when driving as it gives you sense of speed. I drove the exact route in my V6 right after. It was just more engine noise with the intake and exhaust - sounds like youā€™re really thrashing it vs the hybrid which is quieter and more seamless. So the V6 makes it ā€œfeelā€ like youā€™re accelerating harder.

Also, Iā€™m going to guess my JLUR may have a different gear box (?). As when you stomp on it, and it drops down - in the V6 it feels like it gives you a bigger kick with the ICE power coming on immediately as it kicks down. Throws you back in the seat a bit more - not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. The speedo in the hybrid was definitely climbing at a faster rate though.

So - it was great, but not as much as I was hoping and the numbers would suggest. But - hey its a Jeep and thatā€™s what you get when youā€˜re trying to push a heavier brick through the air.

the other thing that has me pausing is the bump in the back with the seats down. If youā€™re going to be sleeping back there (you wonā€™t be!) or you pack it to the max - thatā€™s definitely a consideration. Not sure my dog will like it either.

final note - back seats definitely sit up higher but still plenty of headroom back there, and Iā€™m never in the back so what do i care. Leg room seems to be a bit less but hard to tell.

Just my $0.02.

Oh and hereā€™s a pic .....

Jeep Wrangler JL Is it truly 470lbs torque all day or diminishing torque based on electric power 35424F87-AB30-438E-9012-B98BFC4E19BA

Last edited:

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
the other thing that has me pausing is the bump in the back with the seats down. If youā€™re going to be sleeping back there (you wonā€™t be!) or you pack it to the max - thatā€™s definitely a consideration. Not sure my dog will like it either.
I bet there are at least two aftermarket companies actively prototyping drawer systems that create a flat load floor right now. They'll be available for sale within a few months. There's every reason to expect this.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I bet there are at least two aftermarket companies actively prototyping drawer systems that create a flat load floor right now. They'll be available for sale within a few months. There's every reason to expect this.
No doubt. It does cut down on space back there though.
Sponsored